• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Receiver Recommendation for 7.1.4

egothrasher

Looking to upgrade my current setup from 5.1.2 to 7.1.4. I have a denon which has served me well, but has run out of channels. I was looking into the Denon (brand I've always used for receivers) especially the x3800h. I just read the review though and it seems it is not recommended. Are there any other recommendations then for receivers for 11 channels? Preferably around the same price point of the x3800 which is $1600. Does not need to be new. 4k/120hz would be nice too for the HDMI inputs.

On a side note, any recommendations for a 3 channel amp, I was looking at the Emotive Basx A3 for $549. Looking to drive the front 3 channels.

Thanks for all the recommendations and help!

MacCali

Major Contributor
Looking to upgrade my current setup from 5.1.2 to 7.1.4. I have a denon which has served me well, but has run out of channels. I was looking into the Denon (brand I've always used for receivers) especially the x3800h. I just read the review though and it seems it is not recommended. Are there any other recommendations then for receivers for 11 channels? Preferably around the same price point of the x3800 which is $1600. Does not need to be new. 4k/120hz would be nice too for the HDMI inputs.

On a side note, any recommendations for a 3 channel amp, I was looking at the Emotive Basx A3 for $549. Looking to drive the front 3 channels.

A great number of denon and marantz products can only do front L and R with pre out. But on a good note, you need an extra amp anyway since a receiver will have 2 channels of processing but no amplification.

So no need for channels unless you’re buying a higher tier AVR.

Which AVR I can’t tell you, but what would be helpful is finding a few in your budget and providing us with that info so we can maybe help you narrow it down.

Also, always consider a more expensive tier product and purchase it open box or demo or consumer return. As it still carries the manufacturer warranty.

Accessories4Less has some good sound united products which are refurbished and have 3-4 year warranty from the manufacturer as well

delta76

Major Contributor

not exactly true. Amir was disappointed with performance compared to the previous model (x3700h), but that was before the change in DAC chip from AKM to TI. if he measured the revised version the number is probably the same. Very likely inaudible any way
you can probably look for x4800h if you want something "recommended". it has been on discount for as low as 1500 EUR in EU so not hard to imagine it will reach that price in US soon-ish, especially for used.
And you certainly don't need external amp for your LCR unless they are very very inefficient and power hungry.

popej

I just read the review though and it seems it is not recommended.
You visit a technical forum ant then look for subjective recommendations :)

x3800h as integrated AVR is as good as previous models. I have used it for some days, and found no problem with sound. I send it back, because of miserable support for HDMI-CEC and bugs in firmware. I guess I'm alone with this problem, since I don't see other users complaining.

OP
E

egothrasher

Models I was looking at:

Denon x3800h (~$1100)
Denon x4800h (~$1600)
Marantz Cinema 50 (~$1600)

How can I find out which channels the receiver is able to do preout for. Because all those models have preouts for the majority of channels.

Also, I will be using elac 2x floorstanding, 4x bookshelf, dbr models and 4x generic bookshelf small speakers for heights. Do I need an amplifier or is the receiver powerful enough on its own.

Thanks!

phn

Last edited:

phn

Models I was looking at:

Denon x3800h (~$1100)
Denon x4800h (~$1600)
As a happy x3800h owner, with those prices, I'd go for x4800h for the better build. The price difference between the two were twice that for me at the time I pulled the trigger on x3800h, and not worth that much imho.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
Models I was looking at:

Denon x3800h (~$1100)
Denon x4800h (~$1600)

How can I find out which channels the receiver is able to do preout for. Because all those models have preouts for the majority of channels.

Also, I will be using elac 2x floorstanding, 4x bookshelf, dbr models and 4x generic bookshelf small speakers for heights. Do I need an amplifier or is the receiver powerful enough on its own.

Thanks!
either of them (x3800h/x4800h, not sure about Cinema 50 but it seems to be equivalent to x3800h) should have enough power to run those speakers (if none of them have 80dB sensitivity). you have preouts for all channel (they have 11 channel processing but only 9 channel amplification)
in most cases each speaker - especially floorstanding draws less than 10w from amp, unless you have a very big room and you play really really loud.

I have 2xtowers, 2xbookshelf, 1 cc, and in the past 2 height speakers and I think they are less than 5w total when playing pretty loud.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Models I was looking at:

Denon x3800h (~$1100)
Denon x4800h (~$1600)

Thanks!
All the newer Denon and Marantz AVRs allow you to select individual internal amps to disconnect when using preouts. I would also agree that the 4800 would be the better option. You will not need external amps but if you still want them (as many of us do) then why not stay with Hypex Class D amps from buckeye amps or VTV amps?

OP
E

egothrasher

I don't intend to blast and max out the volume or even get near the high end range of the speakers. I didn't know if amps were required or the receiver was enough for the setup. I appreciate the recommendations though and will look into it. Seems the amps are about as much as the receiver lol ($1200-1600) for 3 channel.

MLaranjeiras

Some Denon and Marantz may work hot as hell. Others do not deliver more than real 50W per channel, like my Pioneer VSX LX503 that works fine on my 4x3m room. I use a mini class D amplifier for the surround back channels, to perform 11.1 channels. To a better stereo sound, I used an integrated amplifier on LR channels. Too much wires and some audible interferences made me to isolate the stereo set to the multichannel. An Old Yamaha Aventage 3080 can the considered.

OP
E

egothrasher

Any comparisons to say the Pioneer LX305 or the Onkyo RZ50? Selling points for those are that they are cheaper and come with Dirac Live. I don't know which version of Dirac, as that could be an additional savings of $200-300 not including having to buy a $100 mic.

OP
E

egothrasher

Ok narrowing choices down to the following:

RZ50 ~$1000 Comes with Dirac, will need an external amplifier for 7.1.4, something to drive the last 2 heights. Thinking around $200 for the amplifier.
X4800h ~1650, no Dirac, so another $350 for that. Again, will need an external amp for 7.1.4
Cinema 70 ~1100 Will need a 5 channel amp for that to get it to 7.1.4 if possible as it is a 7.2 receiver vs 9.2 like the other two options.

All feedback appreciated.

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning

RZ50 ~$1000 Comes with Dirac, will need an external amplifier for 7.1.4, something to drive the last 2 heights. Thinking around $200 for the amplifier.
X4800h ~1650, no Dirac, so another $350 for that. Again, will need an external amp for 7.1.4
Cinema 70 ~1100 Will need a 5 channel amp for that to get it to 7.1.4 if possible as it is a 7.2 receiver vs 9.2 like the other two options.

I got the RZ50 and tried to get Dirac measurements with my UMIK-1. It didn't work for me and I kept getting exclamation marks but that doesn't mean that will happen to you. It could have been my room, my mic, my laptop or the version of Dirac which may be fixed by the time you get it. But I spent 3 sessions with different USB cables and couldn't get it to work.

I put in an issue with Dirac and they'll work on it but I find the RZ50 amazing for its price but not really a viable replacement for my old SR8002 which was capable of going toe to toe with Yamaha RZ1 that weighed 75lbs and cost $5,000 back then so $10,000 today. I was able to get a 3 spot DIRAC measurement with the included Mic so you don't necessarily need a UMIK-1. Even with the exclamation marks, I exported a filter and it's clearer than the included mic one - you can actually see the progression from No Room EQ (echoey and boomy) to the included mic calibration (much tighter sound) and the faulty calibration (exclamation marks).

The RZ50 does some things better courtesy of DIRAC. It's worth a try especially if you have time to spare and don't mind wasting 1-2 weeks doing a setup.

If it were me, I'd get the X4800h especially at the lower than 3800h price you listed there and use Audyssey XT32 with the MultEq app to set the filter. The X4800H is $2,500 in the States.

The Cinema 70 only processes 7 channels as far as I can tell but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm thinking of the Cinema 70 but I have a 5.1 system and I'll use my existing Amp to power it and also as a music receiver.

Golfx

Forum Donor

I would read through the owner’s forums and look for troubling bugs or lack of customer service. Denon usually has fewer bugs than others. Audyssey is also well thought of in comparison to Dirac. And you can always upgrade later to Dirac if you are not happy with your room correction results.
Regarding external amps—you can find very good results using buckeye amps which tested well on this forum. https://www.buckeyeamp.com/shop. They offer very reasonable prices with outstanding measurements.

Top Bottom