• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions

zag55

Good morning. I currently have my HIFIMAN 400se driven, with 25 ohm impedance, by a Topping L30. The power doesn't seem sufficient to me, and therefore I wanted to know which amp to go for these headphones, considering that the HIFIMAN amps themselves have a ' 4.5 Watt output?

olieb

Good morning. I currently have my HIFIMAN 400se driven, with 25 ohm impedance, by a Topping L30. The power doesn't seem sufficient to me, and therefore I wanted to know which amp to go for these headphones, considering that the HIFIMAN amps themselves have a ' 4.5 Watt output?
According to the measurements the HE400se needs 328mV for 94dBspl.
The L30 can produce at least 5.5V with 25Ω (HE400se) before clipping starts (1.04W at 33Ω and <0.5Ω output impedance).
That is corresponds to 118dBspl.
For me that is plenty loud, but you need a signal that can drive the L30 to that level.
Probably you do not have enough gain. What is your source?

staticV3

Master Contributor
L30 works in tandem with E30 dac
E30+L30 can drive the 400se to 120dB SPL. It is limited by gain at that point, so nowhere near clipping.

If you cannot get enough volume with your current setup, then you must have a digital volume limit in place.
Perhaps your files have built-in headroom, or perhaps there's a software volume control not set to 100% somewhere.

If you can get enough volume with your current setup, then a more powerful Amp won't do anything for you.

You will not get more "punch", "slam", "control", or any of that stuff.

Power = Volume. If you have enough volume, then you have enough power.

Top Bottom