• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about home network functionality

F

freemansteve

Not everybody is as experienced, knowledgeable and talented as you. Things you find simple and straightforward may be a time consuming and frustrating flail for some others.

I get that, and didn't intend any condescension :(

I do know people who couldn't connect up a simple stereo, or change a tap washer, but who are otherwise very bright (some of them very successful software engineers!)... I always hope to encourage people to 'have a go' especially when it involves relatively small sums of money and low risks. Maybe the tap washer thing was not low risk!

The important thing is that there is massive help online these days. This is not the right forum to guide someone through setting up, say a Pi, but anyone who wanted to try doing it would easily get the information, just, say, as I might get help to figure out how to do a tax return, which is way harder (albeit easier in the UK than the US! :) - I've done both).

10khz-lpf

Use the open source Logitech Media Server. No i am not joking, No you don't need to own Logitech devices to use it. It "just works" once setup, is very well and thoroughly maintained. There is really no reason NOT to use it, especially if you are not technologically adept since it will do all the hard work for you "behind the scenes".

It's very full featured and is used and recommended even by power users like myself. I am the kind of person who is happy to configure my own MPD Daemon and dedicated Audio Server out of an old Wi-Fi router, and knows how to fix a problem like the OP stated. I still think LMS is the best thing out there, having used every media server software you could think of.

Tom C

Major Contributor
LMS is really excellent. The only caveat I’ve encountered is that it will only do DSD as DoP, so if your DAC accepts native DSD, but doesn’t support DoP, you’re out of luck.

F

freemansteve

Does LMS report any information on you back to base?

If not, I might try it, but UMS works well for me very well at present, on my PC.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Depends what you mean by 'any information' and 'base'. It doesn't require an internet connection if you're not using any internet based services. The connection to mysqueezebox.com is optional, but IIRC the Tidal plugin and maybe others depend on it. Other plugins are intended to connect to various online services so inevitably share some data with them, but if you don't want or use them you can disable or even remove the plugins - most of them are disabled by default anyway. I'm not aware of any telemetry but I haven't audited it. If you don't trust it you can firewall it so that it can't make any connections you haven't explicitly allowed, and there's a community packaged docker instance you can use to keep it isolated from anything else on your system.

10khz-lpf

Does LMS report any information on you back to base?

If not, I might try it, but UMS works well for me very well at present, on my PC.
No and it is open source 100% which basically means if it did "phone home", anyone in the world could (and would) make their own version that DOESN'T "phone home". I'm aware of a considerable number of LMS users who are notably paranoid about this sort of thing, and have the means and knowledge to find if such a thing exists in the code, or is causing unwanted activity on their home networks (I would say I am in this category)

But it doesn't, so no worries ;)

If UMS is working well for now, no need to fix what isn't broken...

nsfgp

LMS is really excellent. The only caveat I’ve encountered is that it will only do DSD as DoP, so if your DAC accepts native DSD, but doesn’t support DoP, you’re out of luck.
No true I am afraid. You may want to play around with your player's DSD playback settings. Provided the DSD plugin is installed correctly on the LMS side it should work with native DSD as long as your player side and the DAC both compatible.

My DAC is a cheap 32/384 max FX-Audio DAC-SQ3. It can do DSD64/128/258 Native. DoP64/128 only (DoP256 requires a 768khz DAC). USB connection.
Confirmed this on 2 LMS servers. LMS1 runs on win11. LMS2 runs on pi2B with piCorePlayer. DSD plugin on both w/ nothing to config on LMS side for that plugin.

Player is the same Squeezelite from the same PCP installed on the pi2B:
w/ "-D 10:dop" squeezelite parameter for playing DoP => Can play DSD64/DSD128 only. No go for DSD256(converted to PCM play only).
w/ "-D 10:u32BE" squeezelite parameter for playing native DSD => can play DSD64/128/256 native. (The fact it plays DSD256 on the DAC confirms it is Native DSD not DoP as doing DoP for DSD256 needs a 768khz DAC)

Results the same using LMS1 or LMS2 and consistent. Just FYI. Have fun!

Last edited:

nsfgp

Maybe I don’t have the right plug in.
Simple. Just click/enable the DSDPlayer (v1.07) plugin from the LMS plugin page:
1650675093708.png

And on the File Type page:
1650675194134.png

That should be all you need to do on LMS side. Rest is up to your player's settings and the DAC.

Top Bottom