• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purchased music faulty on only one track possible?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
so I purchased a couple of albums from a Japanese site because they have some stuff that is out of print on CD.

I redownloaded the file multiple times now on different days because they told me a different cache would be created by the server.

here is the file (all other tracks and albums I purchased through them are fine).
it looks like the data is just missing for the better part of half a second there.

So of all music services out there only Apple Music has the album "lossless" and their file seems to be fine.
but the shop in Japan said they couldn't replicate this issue on their end.

now I went ahead and did "cut" that part of silence out of the track. but I still know its there and it bothers me.
I played the file through the software player on the homepage and the file is skipping there also.
Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 09.28.31.png
Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 09.31.20.png

ChrisCables

Audio Company
'couldn't replicate this issue' sounds more like 'we can't be bothered to look, so here's a fib from us.'

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
'couldn't replicate this issue' sounds more like 'we can't be bothered to look, so here's a fib from us.'

While I think this is the most likely case, there is always the possibility something could be wrong on my end.

But since it's only on 1 out of 10 tracks and only on that album, I'm just going to assume the issue is on their file that the label provided.

ozzy9832001

Looks like the PC pooped out during the encode. Maybe they had a buffer issue and the PC lagged and created that long pause. No other service has these available for download?

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Looks like the PC pooped out during the encode. Maybe they had a buffer issue and the PC lagged and created that long pause. No other service has these available for download?

Only in AAC (mora.jp and ITunes).
The files that I purchased are from ototoy.jp
Well it's only that one track and I trimmed moment of silence out of the track for now.

Did write to the label as well (P-Vine records).
It was on qobuz or somewhere else I would just purchase it there.

Only CD release is OOP since 9 years. Cd Is going for 107€ on discogs. And before that there was a vinyl release in 1983.

Oh well could be worse. Maybe they will look more into it.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
So of all music services out there only Apple Music has the album "lossless" and their file seems to be fine.
You can record it with Audacity. I don't advocate piracy but presumably you have paid for it.

While I think this is the most likely case, there is always the possibility something could be wrong on my end.
Streaming can get interrupted but you shouldn't get a download-file transfer error without an error message and if you got an incomplete or corrupted file, you probably couldn't open it. And, you wouldn't get the same error every time, and you wouldn't get the exact-same error when streaming it from their website.

now I went ahead and did "cut" that part of silence out of the track. but I still know its there and it bothers me.
If it's missing audio, that's a problem. But if it's added silence you should be able to remove it seamlessly (but probably not bit-perfectly).

When I've had to "fix-up" a CD rip, or a couple of times I couldn't get a usable track and my only option was to download an MP3... After some time, I can't even remember what tracks it was so it doesn't bother me! ;)

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
wanted to report back that the Shop (Ototoy) noticed that they checked the wrong file (after I send them the audacity screenshots), they looked at the correct file, noticed the same problem. got in contact with the publisher that already send them the correct file and they replaced it on their homepage as well.

not bad at all within 3 days of reporting the issue. ;)

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 18.08.21.png

Top Bottom