• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problems with Schiit Asgard 3 and Beyerdynamic T1.2

JoshT

I just recently got BeyerDynamic T1 2nd Gens and I'm trying to connect them to my Schiit Asgard 3. The Asgard is being recognized by my computer, but no audio is being outputted to my headphones. I've switched the port I'm using several times, and nothing is working. It is only being recognized by a USB A/B connection, RCA doesn't work. I have tried plugging the headphones directly into my laptop, which did work, but the sound was extremely quiet. Can anyone help me out with this?

Blur

Forum Donor
Can you post a pic or the headphones’ jack plug! Is it TRRS or TRS?

Last edited:

Blur

Forum Donor
From Schiit’s manual:

If you have an optional DAC module, you may also need to connect your digital source.
a. Use a high-quality, USB 2.0-rated cable of 2M or less in length.
b. On some Windows machines, you may need drivers, available at schiit.com/drivers.

Blur

Forum Donor
Make sure the input selector switch nearest the headphone jack is in the up position.

Make sure your source volume is at 100%. This in your player volume. If using Windows you may need to make the Schiit DAC your primary audio driver by fiddling with your audio settings. Make sure you keep the volume down on the actual Asgard to 20% or less while you do this so you don’t damage your ears or headphones. Basically don’t crank the volume while you play with the settings.

Turn off your other audio drives while using the Schiit DAC.

Let us know if that does not help.

Blur

Forum Donor
Oh, they built in a 20s delay upon startup to protect your headphones so be sure to wait 20 - 30s before trying to listen to it.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may also want to take a look here.
https://www.schiit.com/guides/usb-problems
Your T1.2 are high impedance headphones and will sound weak with your laptop. The Asgard 3 should have plenty of power (and therefore no problem) driving them.

OP
J

JoshT

Can you post a pic or the headphones’ jack plug! Is it TRRS or TRD?
I believe it is TRS. They work with my Fiio M9, but still no luck with the Asgard.

Attachments

• B691ACD2-5693-46B8-9E20-2FD80416B21D.jpeg
    B691ACD2-5693-46B8-9E20-2FD80416B21D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 280

Blur

Forum Donor
My guess is how the PC is selecting the source. Dig around in the settings and turn off everything else but the Schiit driver / DAC. You see any power indicators on the Asgard?

Blur

Forum Donor
You may have to set the Schiit DAC as your primary audio driver.

Blur

Forum Donor
Did you install the Schiit USB drivers? What music are you playing ? Could it be too high of bit rate? Try playing something from YouTube etc just to make sure it’s not your music.

OP
J

JoshT

My guess is how the PC is selecting the source. Dig around in the settings and turn off everything else but the Schiit driver / DAC. You see any power indicators on the Asgard?
You may have to set the Schiit DAC as your primary audio driver.
Tried shutting everything off and setting it as primary, still no audio. There is a white light inside the Asgard. I’m beginning to think it may be a problem with the included 6.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor, my headphones work with my Fiio M9 and gives some sound on my laptop when the 3.5mm jack is being used.

Attachments

• F716C9A5-43E8-448A-9FB4-075FD9914B24.jpeg
    F716C9A5-43E8-448A-9FB4-075FD9914B24.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 180

Blur

Forum Donor
I think you are correct sir. That extra ring may be the culprit. The second ring may be in the wrong place. Can you find another headphone with the 6mm plug?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any means (i.e. cables, adapters, etc.) to test just the headphone amp part of the Asgard (i.e. not using the DAC but use the RCA inputs in the back)?

Blur

Forum Donor
One last thing to check is if you are using a USB 2 port.

Last edited:

Blur

Forum Donor
Restart your media player once you’ve changed any sound settings!

Blur

Forum Donor
We’re pulling for you and I’m excited to get your music rolling!

Reactions: NTK
OP
J

JoshT

I think you are correct sir. That extra ring may be the culprit. The second ring may be in the wrong place. Can you find another headphone with the 6mm plug?
Do you have any means (i.e. cables, adapters, etc.) to test just the headphone amp part of the Asgard (i.e. not using the DAC but use the RCA inputs in the back)?
One last thing to check is if you are using a USB 2 port.
I’m using a USB 3 port. It’s getting pretty late out here, so I’ll try to get to bestbuy and get a new 6.5mm adaptor tommorow. Sadly I don’t have any other headphones with a 6.5mm cable to test it with. I’ll update you all when I can! Thanks for all the help :)

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m using a USB 3 port.

Found the culprit! Unfortunately Schiit C-Media USB and Unison USB interface don't support USB 3.0
You must use a USB 3.0 hub with a dedicated 2.0 port so that your PC will recognize the Schiit DAC

OP
J

JoshT

Brought everything in to a local music store today, turns out the amp itself is broken. Sending it back to Schiit to get a replacement, I’ll try to update when it comes in.

Top Bottom