• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prices getting Out Of Control???

SineWave

Especially with speakers.

MartinLogan Motion 35XTi - $1400 for 2 way 6" bookshelf speakers??
Just a few years ago the non "I" version was $1200 a pair

Martin Logan's older CLX $21,832.00
Current CLXart are just under $30K

I know there's a thing call inflation, but this seems way out of control.

A $30K car from 2001 is now about a $40K car
But a 1999 ML ReQuest @ about $5K then is somewhat comparable to todays $15K/25K Expression ESL 13A/15A (the ReQuest didn't have 2 woofer and a woofer amp, so if removing the extra woofer and its amp, say $10-20K)

Kevin from Upscale Audio made a brief comment about speaker prices too.

I'm guessing this is because hi-end audio is becoming more and more of a niche market?
Lot's of audio forums I used to be active in 15-20 years ago just has crickets now. Which is why I am happily surprised with this rather new website.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
In the very high end someone could spend over a million dollars on a 2 channel audio system, but the availability of reasonably priced gear which performs just as well in many instances has never been better.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
so, this is simple, then, isn't it?
Buy 200 bucks' worth of electronics and source(s) and then blow $50k (or more) on the loudspeakers. Done and done!

;)

Top Bottom