• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable amp for HD6xx

GPatselis

I have been using them with the fiio btr3 but it doesn't really do them justice since even the soundblaster x3 on my desktop does a better job at driving them.
I was thinking of upgrading to either fiio btr5, thx onyx or something similar.
I have seen people recommend larger units like the fiio e10k but I don't really want anything with a larger footprint than that of the btr3.
I have also seen people recommend the qudelix 5k but it's not available where I live.

Hi-res-user

I use Fiio Q3 with my Sennheiser HD540 (600 ohm), with a balanced cable. I can’t feel any deficiency in the sound, but I’m not sure whether I have actually missed anything in terms of sound quality. At the desk, I connect both to a Sony STRDH190 stereo receiver (by switching to an unbalanced SE cable to the headphones); the sound is about the same. I’m curious about the measurement of the headphone part of the Sony stereo receiver. The reason for the curiosity is that if it already measures well, I can simply forgo buying a dedicated headphone amp, to save money and control the number of things I acquire.

OP
G

GPatselis

I use Fiio Q3 with my Sennheiser HD540 (600 ohm), with a balanced cable. I can’t feel any deficiency in the sound, but I’m not sure whether I have actually missed anything in terms of sound quality. At the desk, I connect both to a Sony STRDH190 stereo receiver (by switching to an unbalanced SE cable to the headphones); the sound is about the same. I’m curious about the measurement of the headphone part of the Sony stereo receiver. The reason for the curiosity is that if it already measures well, I can simply forgo buying a dedicated headphone amp, to save money and control the number of things I acquire.
the fiio Q3 is quite larger than what I'm looking for tho :-/

Top Bottom