• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer N50 Vs cheaper but more recent options

Ceck the sound

Hi everyone,
a friend of mine offered me his Pioneer N50 for 250€.
I am right now considering if make sense to go for it, instead of getting something less "fency" but new, cheaper and more recent.
I am testing it, it sounds very good, but the streamer function is basically out, since Spotify connect is not supported anymore and I don't have Apple devices (so no Airplay). Then I would also need to buy a streamer, and with 250€ I could totally get a nice DAC (E30? SMSL? Schiit?) plus a streamer (Wiim mini? Topping BC3?).

What would you recommend me to do?
Does a second hand N50, with no streaming function, still worth 250€? Thank you all.

ps. The N50 is also a quite big device and if I could save some space, well, why not.

OP
C

Ceck the sound

In the end I bought the Wiim mini, but still need to decide what to do with Pioneer. He is asking for 200 in the end, not 250 anymore.
Does it make sense to go for it or better a new, smaller and cheaper device ( Tooping E30, SMSL, Schiit Modi etc)?

I cant really made a decision here :D Help me please.
Thank in advance!

Roland68

Major Contributor
In the end I bought the Wiim mini, but still need to decide what to do with Pioneer. He is asking for 200 in the end, not 250 anymore.
Does it make sense to go for it or better a new, smaller and cheaper device ( Tooping E30, SMSL, Schiit Modi etc)?

I cant really made a decision here :D Help me please.
Thank in advance!
€200 or less is a normal price on Ebay.
Maybe the functionality to play local files from USB or Lan is interesting.
With a Raspberry Pi Zero 2W for € 20,- expand it with a streamer via USB. Setting up the free Volumio version is very easy and you can control it via browser, smartphone or tablet.

OP
C

Ceck the sound

€200 or less is a normal price on Ebay.
Maybe the functionality to play local files from USB or Lan is interesting.
With a Raspberry Pi Zero 2W for € 20,- expand it with a streamer via USB. Setting up the free Volumio version is very easy and you can control it via browser, smartphone or tablet.
I was actually about to get a Wiim mini, but the Raspberry would be cheaper sure!
I'm just wondering why 200€ for a second hand, "bulky" DAC while I can get something new and smaller, for less. I mean, is the N50 such a better DAC compared to the ones I mentioned above?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my humble opinion buy something else. A Topping D10 and a RPI and you'd have money left over.

Top Bottom