• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pathos Logos integrated amplifier (Mk1)

stumat

I've had this Italian tube amplifier since 2003. Quite expensive- £3000 or so.
It had a £400.00 overhaul by the importer about five years ago and has no problems.

However, having lurked on this site for some months it seems that I have to start thinking of replacing it due to the majority hostility to tube amps.

Any well-meaning advice welcome.

ps it's playing into JBL Century Classics so 220 watts.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's gorgeous.
Pathos_Logos.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What are you anticipating if you change amps?

EdW

This looks like a good amp. If you like the sound and it continues to work well why do you need to consider a change? A new, more powerful, amp might be able to squeeze another 3dB out of your speakers but if overload isn’t an issue when you’re listening then this is no advantage. Room equalisation, if you haven’t already considered it, is likely to give a far more rewarding experience with considerably less outlay.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Output power: 110W RMS @ 8 Ohm, 220W RMS @ 4 Ohm
  • Frequency response: 2Hz-200KHz ±0,5dB​
  • THD: <0.05%​
  • S/N ratio: >90dB​
  • Input impedance: 100 KOhm​
  • 100-step volume control system, 100 percent resistive thanks to an integrated network of high precision, laser-trimmed resistors.​
  • complementary pair MOSFET output stage is true dual-mono and equipped with oversized transformers and power supplies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think you are going to get better unless you are looking at mega dollars for a new amp. Even then the difference will be splitting hairs.
Are you using PEQ?
Have you thought of trying different speakers?

OP
S

stumat

I'm happy with the sound but according to contributers here I've been doing it wrong!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm happy with the sound but according to contributers here I've been doing it wrong!
Bah!... Don't listen to everything you read here. You have a fine integrated amplifier.
If me and if I wanted a change I would firstly get PEQ on the PC for the DAC and then maybe change the speakers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What kind of operating system do you have on your computer for connection to your stereo?

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I’m in a similar situation. I use a fairly old Italian built integrated amplifier with an old DAC (also Italian built) and speakers that are not state of the art (plus subwoofers). I really enjoy listening to my music collection with the setup I have, but being on this site gives me an itch to change up for newer equipment that measures better. I resist because, a) I am someone who is concerned about consumerism and the environment, b) what I have is very well built and has had absolutely no issues, c) I know that improving the acoustics of my listening space will have a far greater impact, d) I am aware of all the possible cognitive biases involved when purchasing new equipment and e) again if it ain’t broke don’t try and fix it! Any spare funds I have that could go to new equipment goes to artists making music I enjoy (usually via bandcamp).

charleski

Major Contributor
I found this review of the Pathos Kratos, which is the bigger brother. Measured performance is ok-ish with a 5W distortion of -68dB and 5W SNR of 82dB. Most importantly, the damping factor results they got were really good for a tube amp.
I've lived with tube amps that measure in the same ballpark and have found that while you can hear an improvement by switching to a good solid-state it's really quite subtle, with things just getting a bit tighter and less lush. If you're happy with the sound then there's no reason to buy something else just to chase the numbers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I found this review of the Pathos Kratos, which is the bigger brother. Measured performance is ok-ish with a 5W distortion of -68dB and 5W SNR of 82dB. Most importantly, the damping factor results they got were really good for a tube amp.
I've lived with tube amps that measure in the same ballpark and have found that while you can hear an improvement by switching to a good solid-state it's really quite subtle, with things just getting a bit tighter and less lush. If you're happy with the sound then there's no reason to buy something else just to chase the numbers.
It's a hybrid amp with>

"Complementary pair MOSFET output stage, true dual-mono and equipped with oversized transformers and power supplies."

The tubes are for voltage amplification stage and not the unity gain current stage which is MOSFETs.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Complementary pair MOSFET output stage, true dual-mono and equipped with oversized transformers and power supplies."

The tubes are for voltage amplification stage and not the unity gain current stage which is MOSFETs.
This is common to all Pathos designs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the layout. EDIT: Not sure if this is a Mark II but it's very similar.
logos3.jpg

OP
S

stumat

I don't think you are going to get better unless you are looking at mega dollars for a new amp. Even then the difference will be splitting hairs.
Are you using PEQ?
Have you thought of trying different speakers?
No, the speakers are here for the long run.

Top Bottom