• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Particulars of power (amplification)

Old Newman

Emir, take me to school on the fundamentals of power, headroom, fidelity, speaker efficiency etc.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
Emir, take me to school on the fundamentals of power, headroom, fidelity, speaker efficiency etc.
Welcome Aboard @Old Newman. His name is Amir not Emir. Use the search function you will find plenty to read about on your subjects.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome Aboard @Old Newman. His name is Amir not Emir. Use the search function you will find plenty to read about on your subjects.

To help him avoid spending months trying to get some info with the firehose of the search fn, I'll offer this:

The goal is to get a decent SPL at your ears in your room. Big rooms will need a higher SPL at the speakers to get the 'right' SPl at your ears. Speakers are effectively electric motors which move air.

Low speaker sensitivity (often called efficiency) means the amp needs to output more power.

Headroom often refers to excursions above some SPL.

Fidelity is the goal of a sound reproduction system, and will be reduced if a puny amp has problems driving the speakers. A good approach is to get good speakers then decide on an amp to drive them. Electronics are rarely the weak link in modern HiFi systems (tho a competent EE can certainly screw things up, or a highly competent EE can create a euphonic distortion).

Hope that helps. Post specific questions about your room for more.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
take me to school on the fundamentals of power, headroom, fidelity, speaker efficiency etc

For power, check out Ohm's Law and Ohm's Law for AC, headroom is having more capability (usually power) than is used, fidelity is an accurate reproduction of the signal (which could/should be an accurate reproduction of something somebody attempted to record), speaker efficiency is rated as decibels SPL with a 2.83Vrms input sine wave at the speaker terminals.

Etc is undefined, so I won't go there now.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Note it is speaker sensitivity, not efficiency, that is rated as a measure of how loud it gets for a given (voltage or power) input. Efficiency is something else and is very low for any speaker.

Top Bottom