• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Other deep-fit IEMs similar to Etymotic?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something about the way my head is shaped, it's challenging for me to get a good seal with IEMs. My SE535's, for example, will not stay in even with a triple flange or foam tip that I hold in place for 30+ seconds. My W50's, however, have no issue - presumably because they have a rounded shape that sits in my ear better vs. the 535's boxy shape.

So, I was thinking of giving Etymotic's a try as they appear to be a straight cylinder that could slide in as far as I like. Before I do that, was just wondering if there's any other brands that make a similar fit? I see Moondrop makes a $20 pair, but luckily I can afford a little more than that.

My use case is an active setting - gym, biking, skateboarding, etc. If they're super-comfy, may also use at the office. Thanks!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Something about the way my head is shaped, it's challenging for me to get a good seal with IEMs. My SE535's, for example, will not stay in even with a triple flange or foam tip that I hold in place for 30+ seconds. My W50's, however, have no issue - presumably because they have a rounded shape that sits in my ear better vs. the 535's boxy shape.

So, I was thinking of giving Etymotic's a try as they appear to be a straight cylinder that could slide in as far as I like. Before I do that, was just wondering if there's any other brands that make a similar fit? I see Moondrop makes a $20 pair, but luckily I can afford a little more than that.

My use case is an active setting - gym, biking, skateboarding, etc. If they're super-comfy, may also use at the office. Thanks!
I have used ER4S Etymotics for decades so can say a bit about them but haven't looked at alternatives.
I think the comfort is a personal thing.
I used them with the flanged tip for the first 15 years or so but had some moulded tips made 16 years ago which improved the comfort and sound isolation.
The only down side for me it they encouraged my ears to produce more wax and the build up completely blocked my ear canals after a while, requiring medical attention.
I only used them for travelling - I don't ever wear anything in my ears which seal as well as they do when out and about since I consider my hearing as a crucial part of my awareness of my environment and felt vulnerable and got in people's way when I tried it. I would think they were fine in the gym but completely unsuitable for cycling or skateboarding, personally.
I now use wireless blutooth mobile solutions and the Etymotics have been in a drawer for almost 10 years.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The klipsch x10/11 or whatever number they are up to are similar shape to the Ety. Very comfy with triple flange silicone for me.

TungstenC

IEMs from Final audio has a similar shape to the Etymotics, though I don't recall which model.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also look to factor in the thickness of the sound tube, the Shure and ety use a very slim tube, a lot of other brands use thicker. I'm surprised your shures are problematic.

Earfonia

If you're referring to Moondrop Spaceship, just FYI it has larger nozzle than the Ety, so it won't insert as deep. But it is small enough for relatively deep insertion.

20200312_220009s.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's not about the depth. Surely it helps. But it's the shape that matters. Most cylinder shaped will stay pretty nicely. But as expected these are less comfortable. Spaceship is also likely stay pretty well. The cables not pulling the earphones out is probably the more important aspect.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The klipsch x10/11 or whatever number they are up to are similar shape to the Ety. Very comfy with triple flange silicone for me.

I now use Ety ER3SEs with the large Klipsch single flange tips. I had been using Comply T100s but I find the Klipsch provide almost equal isolation and better comfort.

tonyo123

I have three pairs of Etys: ER4S (listening room), and 2 MK5s (one for traveling-flying in my briefcase and one for cycling by my helmet). Stay with Etymotic: the MK5s are a great value deal with the same isolation and fit you seek. Quite honestly, I am not sure I can even hear the difference in sound quality to the ER4s, except I know they are better L-R matched and measure better.

PS. If you want full headset (w/microphone), the HF3s are similar fit and sound, but, of course, more expensive.

OP
T

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm surprised your shures are problematic.

Sad but true - I actually prefer them to my Westone W50's but I just can't get a good seal for any length of time. Laying down on the bench press, for example, the seal breaks every time whether it's triple flange or foam that I hold until it fully expands. The ideal solution would be some XL triple flange but they all appear to be the same size regardless of manufacturer

The only down side for me it they encouraged my ears to produce more wax and the build up completely blocked my ear canals after a while, requiring medical attention

I definitely didn't see that coming - was it just a flush or did they have to use suction?

IEMs from Final audio has a similar shape to the Etymotics, though I don't recall which model.

Some really cool looking designs but I'm having a hard time finding measurement data for the higher-end models. Do you find that's a fairly respected brand?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sad but true - I actually prefer them to my Westone W50's but I just can't get a good seal for any length of time. Laying down on the bench press, for example, the seal breaks every time whether it's triple flange or foam that I hold until it fully expands. The ideal solution would be some XL triple flange but they all appear to be the same size regardless of manufacturer
Is it length or thickness you think isn't doing it for you?

TungstenC

Have you tried out the grey single flange tips (soft flex)? (Westone tips also fits the Shure)

Some really cool looking designs but I'm having a hard time finding measurement data for the higher-end models. Do you find that's a fairly respected brand?
Possibly a "Yes?", but I don't have much experience with that specific brand so couldn't say much.

OP
T

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried out the grey single flange tips (soft flex)? (Westone tips also fits the Shure

Not grey, but googling that they appear to be the same size as the white triple flange I always use. Is there a certain brand you're thinking of?

And you have tried the largest foam tips? I love the Shure black olive foam tips on my iems.

I believe so - I have a few bags of tips I've collected over the years from SE215's, 535, W40, W50, probably more I'm forgetting. But, yes, the same problem occurs

I now use Ety ER3SEs with the large Klipsch single flange tips. I had been using Comply T100s but I find the Klipsch provide almost equal isolation and better comfort.

Some interesting designs I haven't seen before, might try out these double flanges. Do you have a link for the single flange? Would love it if these solve my SE535 fit

Last edited:

TungstenC

Is there a certain brand you're thinking of?
Just the ones that came with the Shures nothing fancy.

A spinfit ear tips might do the job, a video below of it in action (CP800, for Shure and Etymotic stems)

Top Bottom