• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old DAC vs New

Nozza

I have an old Cambridge Audio One all-in-one system which has a USB DAC stage using a Wolfson WM8728. I'm playing mostly standard FLACs via MusicBee.
I'm wondering if DACs have come on a lot since this machine was built (over 10 years ago).

I also have an SMSL M100 MKII running the SABRE 9019Q2C which I can plug into the AUX in of the One. I should say straight up that I cannot personally hear any difference. Maybe there is some but by the time I've swapped the cables around, I've forgotten what it sounded like before to be honest.

Clearly there isn't exactly a night and day difference. Both sound good to me. But technically speaking, is there likely to be much difference?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Technically, DACs have improved considerably over time, but not audibly. DACs were transparent in 1983, and the only improvements have been to handle ever greater sample rates and bit depths, and for nonsenses like HDCD and MQA decoding. This is why I've never bothered with external DACs, the ones built-in to any digital player are quite good enough.

S.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There will most certainly be measurable differences.
They may not be audible to individual listeners though and/or be below any audible thresholds.

Myself I would only replace a DAC if it were giving problems, known to be crappy in performance or if I needed a DAC that supports things that the old one can't or when you want it to match other hifi components in looks.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nozza

Cool thanks. Seems to play every file I have OK and it's one less box to have in play. So will likely use the built in DAC then.

Top Bottom