• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objective thoughts on NC500MP vs NC250MP data

Satx

Hi I’m a new member to ASR, but I’ve been a reader for a long time. I’m seriously considering ordering a pair of the the Hattor NC500MP monos. Arek (the owner) says he can Also do the NC250MP for a bit less and thinks it might sound a bit sweeter. I’d probably prefer the extra power, But looking at the data sheets for the two, to my untrained eyes, it looks like the 250 measures better. Even though I’m sure they’re both excellent, I want the best for the money. But maybe the differences are so minor to be not worth worrying about? Anyone want to chime in and decipher the data for me? In particular I’m wondering how the worse IMD Spectrum graph andhigher output impedance of the 500 may effect Performance. The early knee for the 8ohm 6k distortion measurement On the 250 also seems concerning.

NC500MP data sheet https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/1245
NC250MP data sheet https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/915

Thoughts on the internal work on the hattor amps would also be welcomed. He uses pcb’s and very short untwisted power and output leads and a short length of ribbon cable for the inputs. Is that ok?
1598499999250.jpeg

For reference, I’m using a blue sound node 2i, RME ADI-2 dac/pre, Crown xls 1500 and speakers of my own careful design- three way floor standing 89 dB, 8ohm 4.9 ohm minimum with benign phase angles.

Thanks for the help
Evan

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is going to be no audible difference in the sound of the two modules. I would purchase the NC500MP, as having more power is never an issue and ensures you will not clip. If you are really wanting to get the best measurements at the price, spend slightly more and purchase a Purifi 1et400 based amplifier.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the NC502MP? See my thoughts here.

chebum

Forum Donor
I don't know full statistics, but I feel that Hypex products aren't reliable. I own 3 plate amps with NC252MP in them and know two persons with Hypex amps. One had an amp from Audiophonics with NC252MP. All of us experienced a total amp failure in first year of use and got our amps replaced. Mine exploded in first week. I was lucky and my speakers weren't damaged. However, there is a guy on diyaudio.com that lost a vintage driver to a failure of Hypex plate amp with NC252MP amplifier in it.

Out of warranty, the amps turned to be unrepairable. Probably, it's me, but I wasn't able to find service shop who can repair them. As far as I understood the problem lies in chips they use - they cannot be purchased separately. If the amp crashes when warranty expires, the only option is to buy a new amplifier.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I don't know full statistics, but I feel that Hypex products aren't reliable. I own 3 plate amps with NC252MP in them and know two persons with Hypex amps. One had an amp from Audiophonics with NC252MP. All of us experienced a total amp failure in first year of use and got our amps replaced. Mine exploded in first week. I was lucky and my speakers weren't damaged. However, there is a guy on diyaudio.com that lost a vintage driver to a failure of Hypex plate amp with NC252MP amplifier in it.

Out of warranty, the amps turned to be unrepairable. Probably, it's me, but I wasn't able to find service shop who can repair them. As far as I understood the problem lies in chips they use - they cannot be purchased separately. If the amp crashes when warranty expires, the only option is to buy a new amplifier.
How do you know that the amps cannot be repaired if yours were replaced in warranty?
I see only one issue for repair, which is the microcontroller software. Meaning that the failure is the microcontroller. From my little experience not the most fragile part among electronic components. All the rest is discrete components, apart a few NE5534.

OP
S

Satx

There is going to be no audible difference in the sound of the two modules. I would purchase the NC500MP, as having more power is never an issue and ensures you will not clip. If you are really wanting to get the best measurements at the price, spend slightly more and purchase a Purifi 1et400 based amplifier.

Thanks for the feedback. If I'm not mistaken, you have an amp with the 502 modules correct?

I'd like the Purifi, but Hattor doesn't carry them as far as I know. Nord and Apollon seem to be the only options. No offense to them at all, but I do a lot of diy audio and I don't want to pay for a product that looks about like what'd I'd be able to do myself. That's not a knock on quality, just that they use off the shelf cases.

OP
S

Satx

Maybe the NC502MP? See my thoughts here.

Why the 502 over the 500? I didn't really set out to get monos, but I'm fine either way. Hattor only sells monos though and I'm drawn to them because of the design and attention to detail for prices that are within my budget. Any other manufactures I should be looking at?

OP
S

Satx

Out-of-warranty failure.

Interesting, I haven't really heard of many issues. I've only had one hypex product, a full range plate amp from about 5 years ago, but it's been reliable. The Hattor amps have a 5 year warranty, so that helps, but they're also in Poland, so any warranty work might be a hassle

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why the 502 over the 500? I didn't really set out to get monos, but I'm fine either way. Hattor only sells monos though and I'm drawn to them because of the design and attention to detail for prices that are within my budget. Any other manufactures I should be looking at?
Price (2 x 457,50 euros = 915 euros a pair) and size only. Looks fine otherwise, I agree.
I got my Apollon NC502MP for 750 euros. Nord is also 580 pounds for it.
(all prices tax excluded)

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have had too many Hypex amps to count and never had an issue (one) that was resolved. Further, I currently have 6 modules that have been flawless for years. Shit breaks. You don't even want to know the failures I've had with another Class D amp nor will I say.

OP
S

Satx

Price (2 x 457,50 euros = 915 euros a pair) and size only. Looks fine otherwise, I agree.
I got my Apollon NC502MP for 750 euros. Nord is also 580 pounds for it.
(all prices tax excluded)
I know I'm paying a bit of a premium for bespoke case work, but I'm ok with that up to a point. The prices still seem reasonable to me. I can barely build an NC400 with a single supply for the same money.
What about the size? 16x8x3.5" for the pair. Not particularly big

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then go for it, they do look nice indeed. :)

OP
S

Satx

Then go for it, they do look nice indeed. :)
Thanks for the the vote of confidence. No issues with untwisted wiring? I see so much talk about how everything has to be twisted super tight...

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the feedback. If I'm not mistaken, you have an amp with the 502 modules correct?

I'd like the Purifi, but Hattor doesn't carry them as far as I know. Nord and Apollon seem to be the only options. No offense to them at all, but I do a lot of diy audio and I don't want to pay for a product that looks about like what'd I'd be able to do myself. That's not a knock on quality, just that they use off the shelf cases.

The ones I have are a NC252MP and a NC400 in the NAD.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the the vote of confidence. No issues with untwisted wiring? I see so much talk about how everything has to be twisted super tight...
I am no expert but tight twisting of the speaker cable I suppose applies to longer distances within the case, this Hattor has like 3cm only, should be fine.

OP
S

Satx

The ones I have are a NC252MP and a NC400 in the NAD.

Ok, I couldn't remember, but I saw your thread. Any obvious differences between the NC252MP and NC400?
What speakers are you using them with?

OP
S

Satx

I am no expert but tight twisting of the speaker cable I suppose applies to longer distances within the case, this Hattor has like 3cm only, should be fine.
That was my thinking too, but I wasn't sure

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, I couldn't remember, but I saw your thread. Any obvious differences between the NC252MP and NC400?
What speakers are you using them with?

Well the 252 is 180 watts into 8 ohms and 250 into 4 ohms while the NC400 is in a NAD M22 v2 so puts out 400 watts into 8 ohms and 700 into 4 ohms for peaks. My system setups are below.

Top Bottom