• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did you audition nc500 vs nc500mp or nc502"

samysound

or nc500mp? the one with built in power? but mono
Both the 500mp and 502mp have built in power. The 500mp is a monoblock while the 502mp is stereo. I went with the 502mp as I was budget constrained and the trade off would have been on the speaker side. As mentioned in this thread, all these amps measure really well so you cant go wrong. If I was not budget constrained I would have gone with a purifi based amp. Ive heard march audio has a stereo version in the pipeline.

OP
E

ehabheikal

Both the 500mp and 502mp have built in power. The 500mp is a monoblock while the 502mp is stereo. I went with the 502mp as I was budget constrained and the trade off would have been on the speaker side. As mentioned in this thread, all these amps measure really well so you cant go wrong. If I was not budget constrained I would have gone with a purifi based amp. Ive heard march audio has a stereo version in the pipeline.
What speakers are you running it with?

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Amp and DAC distortions are usually way lower than speakers and room distortions, so they do not show in an REW speaker sweep measurement.
Thanks. But when people hear that amp A has a tighter bass or deeper bass, whatever, than amp B, then it would have to be evident in a REW sweep, right? Otherwise it is just in their head, right?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks. But when people hear that amp A has a tighter bass or deeper bass, whatever, than amp B, then it would have to be evident in a REW sweep, right? Otherwise it is just in their head, right?
Often differences heard between components are caused by not performing the comparison under controlled conditions. Volume needs to be precisely matched. Also if you can see the product and know which is playing then you are very likely to be biased towards one or the other.

Having said that not all amps sound the same. Some amps (particularly valve) interact with the speaker load and have a variable frequency response as an example.

You need a whole range of measurements, not just a REW sweep to characterise an amplifier.

John1959

Is there a cheaper assembled nc502
https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-stereo-hypex-nc502mp-ncore-amplifier-500wx2/

But not by much. In this case I would slightly prefer the dual mono (in one box) design of Audiophonics. It doesn't sound any better better than the stereo version but from a standpoint of heat management it seems a better choice. Under normal conditions this is not an issue though.

If you want to spend a little bit more there are several other excellent options like like those from March Audio, Apollon and Nord Acoustics to mention a few. I don't have experience with any of these builds so I can't really say which is best, or best for you.

Last edited:

samysound

https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-stereo-hypex-nc502mp-ncore-amplifier-500wx2/

But not by much. In this case I would slightly prefer the dual mono (in one box) design of Audiophonics. It doesn't sound any better better than the stereo version but from a standpoint of heat management it seems a better choice. Under normal conditions this is not an issue though.

you may want to search for VTV amplifiers on ASR. There are a few threads that detail build quality and wiring issues.

However, March audio has a nice option. nice build quality and measures well: https://www.marchaudio.net.au/p502

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

NC502MP datasheet shows a little better measurements in power x THD than the NC500MP though.

John1959

you may want to search for VTV amplifiers on ASR. There are a few threads that detail build quality and wiring issues.

However, March audio has a nice option. nice build quality and measures well: https://www.marchaudio.net.au/p502
Yes, that's right. But OP asked for a cheaper option than the already low priced Audiophonics so I arrived at VTV. I hope they solved their quality control issues because they offer great value for money, especially for US based customers of course. BTW, it seems to me that it is hard to do something wrong with assembling an integrated NC502MP is a box.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it seems to me that it is hard to do something wrong with assembling an integrated NC502MP is a box.
I thought so too until I started to see their teardown photos... A pity, really. Would have been great to have a quality amp assembler in the US too.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Matias,

I did not realize before that you have a NC500 based amp in your first (I guess main) system and a NC502MP based amp in your second one. So, that NC500 amp sound better? Can you tell us about the audible differences, if any? I know the comparison is somewhat complicated because of implementation (buffer, PS etc.) but I am still interested in your comments.

Hi John, took me a while but I finally had the time to set up the Hypex NCore NC502MP based custom Apollon amplifier in my main system.

Short version (sighted test, myself only): the NC502MP sounds amazing, extremely revealing and powerful. I would have a very hard time pointing him instead of the resident NC500 Sparkos SS2590 opamp based main amp in a blind test. Very highly recommended. It is that good!

My speakers are the Thiel CS3.7, large, heavy, coaxial and 3 way, with a very low 2.7 ohms impedance through most of its frequency range. So a very current hungry speaker and kind of a torture test in itself for the small module. Source is the fantastic Mola Mola Makua preamp with DAC, streaming through an ultraRendu, and fully calibrated room correction for each speaker individually. Amplifier is connected to 230V/60Hz mains.

Listening to electronic music like "ATB - No Silence" or "Daft Punk - Random Access Memories", loud for the neighbors to hear, still clean and clear, open soundstage, precise imaging, bass in absolute control. Or listening in normal volume to well recorded music like "Jacques Loussier Trio - The Best of Play Bach" or "Baremboim, Mederos, Console - Mi Buenos Aires Querido" or "Bobo Stenson Trio - Contra La Indecisión", sounds natural and realistic. Really wire with gain, gets out of the way style of amplification. I was expecting the NC502MP would be a step below from the main NC500 based amp, but no, they are on the same level really. Awesome just like his older brother but costing a fraction of the price.

It really is amazing how such a small amplifier board can do all that. Below the inside of my Apollon amp (750 euros), a very nice assembly.

D35_1204b.jpg

Last edited:

chasfs

I thought so too until I started to see their teardown photos... A pity, really. Would have been great to have a quality amp assembler in the US too.

I bought the VTV NC502MP for $699 and am enjoying it very much. I’ve had no issues with assembly and Warren shipped it quickly and has been responsive to email questions.

it was well packed
1598237135338.jpeg

Bottom
1598237643950.jpeg

Rear panel
1598237229889.jpeg

I’m using it with SMSL M200 and Martin Logan Sequel speakers. It’s a bit deeper than my old amp - you can see the dimensions on the VTV website.

Overall i think it is a bargain at $699.

John1959

Hi John, took me a while but I finally had the time to set up the Hypex NCore NC502MP based custom Apollon amplifier in my main system.

Short version (sighted test, myself only): the NC502MP sounds amazing, extremely revealing and powerful. I would have a very hard time pointing him instead of the resident NC500 Sparkos SS2590 opamp based main amp in a blind test. Very highly recommended. It is that good!

My speakers are the Thiel CS3.7, large, heavy, coaxial and 3 way, with a very low 2.7 ohms impedance through most of its frequency range. So a very current hungry speaker and kind of a torture test in itself for the small module. Source is the fantastic Mola Mola Makua preamp with DAC, streaming through an ultraRendu, and fully calibrated room correction for each speaker individually. Amplifier is connected to 230V/60Hz mains.

Listening to electronic music like "ATB - No Silence" or "Daft Punk - Random Access Memories", loud for the neighbors to hear, still clean and clear, open soundstage, precise imaging, bass in absolute control. Or listening in normal volume to well recorded music like "Jacques Loussier Trio - The Best of Play Bach" or "Baremboim, Mederos, Console - Mi Buenos Aires Querido" or "Bobo Stenson Trio - Contra La Indecisión", sounds natural and realistic. Really wire with gain, gets out of the way style of amplification. I was expecting the NC502MP would be a step below from the main NC500 based amp, but no, they are on the same level really. Awesome just like his older brother but costing a fraction of the price.

It really is amazing how such a small amplifier board can do all that. Below the inside of my Apollon amp (750 euros), a very nice assembly.

View attachment 79598
Hi Matias, thanks for sharing your experience with the NC502MP and NC500 amps. Maybe it's quite save to conclude that the NC502MP is capable to drive almost any (domestic) speaker because the Thiel speakers are known to be a difficult load and need powerful amplification. I already found that the NCxxxMP family sound more or less the same and this seems to hold true for other modules as well, at least the NC500. But, I don't think it would be a good idea to use the NC122MP with such a power hungry beast as the Thiel CS3.7. In that case it has to be seen if the conclusion about sounding the same will hold, especially at high listening levels. As the NC502MP is not ridiculously more expensive than the smaller modules it would be I good choice for many people, even when you could do with less power at the moment. Maybe you will upgrade your speakers somewhere in the future?

I am still listening at my NC502MP with DIY horn loaded single driver speakers. A VERY easy load because they do well (and play very loud!) even with a 8W Single Ended Triode amp! Totally different concept than class D, e.g. no feed back at all.

When compared with the SET AMP the NC502MP has better bass, not only tighter deeper bass (as expected of course) but also more articulated upper bass. Even at low volumes where the low 8W power of the SET is not limiting (the horns are about 100 dB/W). I always liked the SET at (very) low sound levels because the sound stays very dynamic with all small nuances and details clearly audible so the sound doesn't become boring.. But the NC502MP does this too and also stays clean and controlled at very high levels. The SET runs out of steam then of course. In the midrange, I still slightly prefer the SET sound, especially with voices. Must be the high second harmonic distortion! But overall, the both amps offer the same fine listening pleasure and are absolute not fatiguing at all. Quite remarkable given the totally different concepts.

John.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As the NC502MP is not ridiculously more expensive than the smaller modules it would be I good choice for many people, even when you could do with less power at the moment. Maybe you will upgrade your speakers somewhere in the future?

Exactly. My NC502MP was intended to drive 2 way bookshelf speakers, so obviously overkill. But then the price difference is so small that it was worth it if not for today, maybe for the day I change to larger speakers or if I decide to sell it, it fits better to the future owner.

Daniel0

Below the inside of my Apollon amp (750 euros), a very nice assembly.
I was looking for a cheap NC502MP amp and I live in germany. Which Apollon amp do you have?
The cheapest one from them is the NCMP700 for 925€ without taxes configured with trigger.
The cheapest I could find was from Nord for 692€ without taxes and with trigger as well.
Unfortunately audiophonics doesn’t offer one with NC502MP or they would probably be the cheapest.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking for a cheap NC502MP amp and I live in germany. Which Apollon amp do you have?
The cheapest one from them is the NCMP700 for 925€ without taxes configured with trigger.
The cheapest I could find was from Nord for 692€ without taxes and with trigger as well.
Unfortunately audiophonics doesn’t offer one with NC502MP or they would probably be the cheapest.
I custom ordered with @Apollon Audio my NC502MP in a small chassis.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...io-class-d-amp-build-quality.7717/post-493282

Top Bottom