• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objective tests of Bluetooth EMI's?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey Guys,

So my wife would like a some Bluetooth EMI's. Now due to popularity there are quite a few out there obviously, however there is a distinct lack of objective reviews and test on these things. All I see is a bunch of parroting and pandering main stream bullshit sites spewing predictable garbage :facepalm:. And while some of the info is actually useful it's mostly about usability, battery life, bugs and looks.

@amirm will probably eventually get to testing some of these, these particular models will probably not be on the top of the list. So I'd rather not wait that long. So there must be some resources out there that can give me some objective comparisons on a few of these things.

If anyone knows of any, let me know :cool:

wasnotwasnotwas

Iem? Do they have to be true wireless, so nothing coming out of the shell?

If not, a better bet is some wired iem which have been well reviewed with a short detachable aftermarket cable to a Bluetooth dongle.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Iem? Do they have to be true wireless, so nothing coming out of the shell?

Yep, true wireless. They don't need to go loud, just be comfy, give good sound and noise cancelation would be a bonus.

I realise that wired ones would be the best options sound quality wise. However a short wire to a dongle would defeat the whole purpose.. Then you can just as well stick it into your phone directly..

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

raif71

Major Contributor
Hey Guys,

So my wife would like a some Bluetooth EMI's. Now due to popularity there are quite a few out there obviously, however there is a distinct lack of objective reviews and test on these things. All I see is a bunch of parroting and pandering main stream bullshit sites spewing predictable garbage :facepalm:. And while some of the info is actually useful it's mostly about usability, battery life, bugs and looks.

@amirm will probably eventually get to testing some of these, these particular models will probably not be on the top of the list. So I'd rather not wait that long. So there must be some resources out there that can give me some objective comparisons on a few of these things.

If anyone knows of any, let me know :cool:
Have you decided on any? My son is looking for one too. Bought a razer true wireless but the right bud didn't have sound. Went back to the shop for a 2nd pair and this one kept disconnecting every 10min or so. Today will go again, probably gonna try another bud... appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I went for the Samsung buds (2020 version) in the end. They seem to do quite well, don’t cost to much and have very good battery life. No idea how they sound.. will know after Christmas

hege

Forum Donor
I went for the Samsung buds (2020 version) in the end. They seem to do quite well, don’t cost to much and have very good battery life. No idea how they sound.. will know after Christmas

Did you get them?

Looking also for true wireless buds, for some walking/jogging and hanging around at house, laying in bed, I want zero hassle without wires. Genelec-esque sound would be a plus, EQ is fine. ;)

(Some small+lightweight wireless on-ear headphones might be an option if someone have suggestions)

edit: Given that Samsung Buds+ are stocked at every shop near me for 99€, I'll probably take a punt..

Last edited:
OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you get them?

Yes I did. Did not have an expansive listen yet, but they seem quite neutral. The buttons would annoy me though, because they are very sensitive. But you can disable them via the app.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I got Apple Airpod Pros and Sony WF-1000MX3 for my family (one asked for the former specifically, another asked for a wireless ANC IEM recommendation). Each liked theirs a lot. I tried them and I'd say they are worth the noise cancelling alone, although I would only ever use them to listen to lectures while doing stuff—I generally don't like IEMs for music.

hege

Forum Donor
Ok I fetched the Samsung Buds+ for 99€. Slightly soft/bloaty bass, some sharpness/sizzling in treble (I'm sensitive), overall acceptable for the price. Dunno if the "Samsung HD" codec would make a difference, I'm on Xiaomi so normal AAC codec is used.

It's nice that one can get such small and unobtrusive plugs these days. Don't have much IEM experience, would be nice to test some real highend ones.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
All do not TWS but a neckband I found them worth the mention and not bad for the price. Creative Aurvana Trio same performance as wired one's and a same price (100$). Rest is up to BT and DAC/AMP and all do they aren't particularly good in any of these (no support for more advanced codecs and standard QC DAC/AMP) they are still good EMI's and overlay probably the best package up to date. Still I more prise the wired ones and they pairing with good BT neckband cable.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got Apple Airpod Pros and Sony WF-1000MX3 for my family (one asked for the former specifically, another asked for a wireless ANC IEM recommendation). Each liked theirs a lot. I tried them and I'd say they are worth the noise cancelling alone, although I would only ever use them to listen to lectures while doing stuff—I generally don't like IEMs for music.

I've tried the Airpod Pros (my partner has them) and think they sound good. I would say a little on the warmer/rounder side (slightly recessed treble and slightly elevated upper bass), which is not 100% to my taste, but makes them good for everyday listening, and likely not to offend anyone.

Top Bottom