• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Number of songs on streaming service...

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music, Amazon Unlimited. All claim 100M+ songs. But, there are many cases of I can find the song I want on Spotify but not on Titdal/Qobuz, and never the other way around. Apple music is in between, and Amazon is worse than everything else.

For example I am subbed to Qobuz now, since Tidal cost more and have stupid billing issue. I want to listen to Evolution by Hamasaki Ayumi. While I can't find it. Heading over to Spotify, not only they have album version but also the Evolution single with 9 different version of it.

Does Spotify actully have more real/popular songs than other service despite similar number of tracks stored on their server.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They all have licenses from major labels but there is an incredible "long tail" in music due to so many independents. Each require another deal (contract) to be signed to get their content. Spotify doesn't have this problem per se because artists seek them out as that is the new "FM radio."

Oso Polar

So Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music, Amazon Unlimited. All claim 100M+ songs. But, there are many cases of I can find the song I want on Spotify but not on Titdal/Qobuz, and never the other way around.
Yes, exactly. And Spotify has the best app (by far!). For these two reasons I use Spotify even though Tidal and Qobuz can offer lossless audio - I'm not sure I can hear the difference but I for sure notice that half of my playlist is not available. :mad: I liked the choice of music on Deezer, they also offer lossless audio (in regular FLAC without any encryption, songs can be downloaded) and app was nice BUT unstable - was just stopping playing randomly.

OP
R

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They all have licenses from major labels but there is an incredible "long tail" in music due to so many independents. Each require another deal (contract) to be signed to get their content. Spotify doesn't have this problem per se because artists seek them out as that is the new "FM radio."
I guess being on Spotify makes them more money, which also make sense why Apple seems be second best.

Top Bottom