• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

Multicore

Major Contributor
I listened to the podcast last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'm glad you lied it. Thanks for the feedback.

I smiled at the mention of Stockhausen, laboriously assembling his early electronic pieces. I have (another) dusty cassette of a presentation that he gave at the Barbican, London in 1985 where he describes the process: cutting and gluing bits of tape! Things have moved on a bit, as you point out! I quite like those early electronic pieces, they're successful in their own way, and I warmed to Stockhausen hearing him talk about it.
There's no question that Stockhausen was hard working and dedicated to his art.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
There's no question that Stockhausen was hard working and dedicated to his art.
And produced some rewarding results.

From https://www.stereophile.com/content/2015-records-die-page-6:

"How to describe Stimmung? Composed in 1968, it comprises 51 "models" for six unaccompanied voices. The models range in length from 38 seconds to 5 minutes, but I experience them as 78 minutes of almost unbroken immersion, surrounded by conversations in varying intonations and meters. Gradually, I am subsumed enough to feel the urge to join in. Of course, a relaxed mood, aided in any way you choose, will help you to connect with what seems superficially to be early minimalism, but a listener in the right frame of mind will be very much inside the music. Mesmerizing. (KR)"

Multicore

Major Contributor
And produced some rewarding results.

From https://www.stereophile.com/content/2015-records-die-page-6:

"How to describe Stimmung? Composed in 1968, it comprises 51 "models" for six unaccompanied voices. The models range in length from 38 seconds to 5 minutes, but I experience them as 78 minutes of almost unbroken immersion, surrounded by conversations in varying intonations and meters. Gradually, I am subsumed enough to feel the urge to join in. Of course, a relaxed mood, aided in any way you choose, will help you to connect with what seems superficially to be early minimalism, but a listener in the right frame of mind will be very much inside the music. Mesmerizing. (KR)"
I like Stimmung a lot. I have CDs of three different versions, the original, the Gregory Rose and this one in the review. I get why some Stockhausen afficionados don't take it so seriously as it sure does have a kinda hippy/ambient/minimalist quality to it. The first time I heard it was a live broadcast from one of the late night Proms.

And there's a lot of Stockhausen's music that I like a lot. Some of it, like Mantra, is among my favorites. But he's also written catastrophically bad music and some of his works are an embarrassment to the music world and especially to the institutions that supported them, as we discussed above in this thread.

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
Listening to this gorgeous new recording of the work that started the thread.

Top Bottom