• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not sure about replacing my old DAC

Jarmel

I have a GNSC modded Wadia 27 and I’m sort of debating about replacing it with a new DAC and I’m not sure how substantial the upgrade would be. I was looking at the Gustard X16 and the Okto dac8 Stereo. Is there any way I get a ballpark for how my DAC would roughly compare with modern ones?

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
I have a GSNC modded Wadia 27 and I’m sort of debating about replacing it with a new DAC and I’m not sure how substantial the upgrade would be. I was looking at the Gustard X16 and the Okto dac8 Stereo. Is there any way I get a ballpark for how my DAC would roughly compare with modern ones?

Looking at Stereophile data for the Wadia 27 it seems to be a reasonably well implemented device for its time. Depending how much damage was done by GSNC there may not be that much difference with modern DACs. I have a Parasound DAC-1000 from that era which was a budget product compared to your Wadia, subjectively it is somewhat less detailed than modern DACs but nothing drastic.

OP
J

Jarmel

Looking at Stereophile data for the Wadia 27 it seems to be a reasonably well implemented device for its time. Depending how much damage was done by GSNC there may not be that much difference with modern DACs. I have a Parasound DAC-1000 from that era which was a budget product compared to your Wadia, subjectively it is somewhat less detailed than modern DACs but nothing drastic.
I found this website which lists the changes GNSC (Huntley) did for the Wadia 27. Mine was a Statement upgrade as well.

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/wadia-digital-dac/wadia-27ix-gnsc-inside-pics/

Wadia-27ix-GNSC-inside-IMG_2799_550pix.jpg

Seems like he swapped out the capacitors, which is the bulk of the upgrade.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Mine was a Statement upgrade as well.

Hopefully benign. Hard to say as these "modders" rarely have access to proper measurement gear to validate their changes. At best these changes don't make any difference, but they often result in degraded performance.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR.
The Wadia 27 was certainly a very good dac in the nineties and not sure if the mods did really any good to it except esoteric self satisfaction.
I still have my Wadia from the same period too, but it's a way more humble model.
As I stated elsewhere, I'm not sure if there is really any difference with my actual D90.
But my D90 has a variable output volume, remote control, display panel, USB in, BT .....

OP
J

Jarmel

I can't really attest or confirm the quality of the mods from a scientific or analysis perspective but Steve Huntley, who did the mods and ran GNSC, was apparently a prominent Wadia engineer so I think it's safe to assume that he knew what he was doing.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't really attest or confirm the quality of the mods from a scientific or analysis perspective but Steve Huntley, who did the mods and ran GNSC, was apparently a prominent Wadia engineer so I think it's safe to assume that he knew what he was doing.
If so:
Just wondering why that mod wasn't done in the first place.
I don't think that "savings" would be the correct reason.

gvl

Major Contributor
If so:
Just wondering why that mod wasn't done in the first place.
I don't think that "savings" would be the correct reason.

It's hard to imagine engineers cut some corners and didn't use enough caps in a $9,000 device, and that is 9k in pre-2000 dollars.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a GNSC modded Wadia 27 and I’m sort of debating about replacing it with a new DAC and I’m not sure how substantial the upgrade would be. I was looking at the Gustard X16 and the Okto dac8 Stereo. Is there any way I get a ballpark for how my DAC would roughly compare with modern ones?
Not regarding sound quality, the Wadia is (hopefully) transparent. Modern DACs offer USB input and higher sample rates, some even DSD. If you need this then go for a new one, otherwise keep the money and invest in speakers or headphone. OK, if you could sell the Wadia for a lot of money you could get a cheap modern DAC and new speakers ...

gvl

Major Contributor

It appears he now works with Resolution Audio which suspiciously looks like an audio jewelry maker because of:

a) lack of any detailed technical specifications for their products
b) presense of 6moons reviews of their products (http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/resolution/1.html)
c) price of almost $5k for a solid-state monoblock amp that delivers 100W with 1% distortion

I'd speculate that Steve knows pretty well how to get into deep audiophile pockets.

Just read this about a DAC they offer:
Technical Details: We are utilizing a new DAC topology based on an R-2R ladder DAC that is typically used for medical imaging and aerospace designs where extreme bit accuracy is required. These DAC were not intended for audio use and hence require significant care and feeding to maximize performance. We have a incorporated minimum-phase digital filter in an advanced FPGA-based which is field-updatable.
Does that sound familiar to anyone else here?

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Such high class equipment, like for instance their cantata music center comes naturally with a top notch high class remote control as anyone here could expect :

1609595191643.png

EUR 10000.00 >>>> I wonder in what part the money is spent (if not directly to some pockets) ?
https://www.reson.de/screen/product/cantatamc3/language/de

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Not regarding sound quality, the Wadia is (hopefully) transparent. Modern DACs offer USB input and higher sample rates, some even DSD. If you need this then go for a new one, otherwise keep the money and invest in speakers or headphone. OK, if you could sell the Wadia for a lot of money you could get a cheap modern DAC and new speakers ...
Wadia say to that? :)

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Just read this about a DAC they offer:

"Technical Details: We are utilizing a new DAC topology based on an R-2R ladder DAC that is typically used for medical imaging and aerospace designs where extreme bit accuracy is required. These DAC were not intended for audio use and hence require significant care and feeding to maximize performance. We have a incorporated minimum-phase digital filter in an advanced FPGA-based which is field-updatable."

Does that sound familiar to anyone else here?

:facepalm:

Top Bottom