• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice Cure mix of "Just Like Heaven." What is the digital audio resolution on a YouTube video like this? I know it is lossy and far from Red Book?

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Despite being lossy, it sounds pretty darned good on my iFi Micro IDSD Black Label with my Zero Reds with 3D clicked on. Running via USB out of my Windows 11 P.C. to the iFi. At age 67, maybe my ears are becoming less discerning, or is audio on these videos lossless?

Ze Frog

Some uploads on YouTube do seem to sound really good. As for bit rate I'm really not sure.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ”issue” is that the actuall recording and mixing and production are much more important than format for the final sound :) ( within reason )

Human Bass

Way more important. A badly mix/recorded song is easily perceived. Lossy compression may reduce the fine detail, but if it is well recorded, it will still sound nice.

Go listen to RHCP Californication, awful production, no flac hi-res can make up for that. Now listen to those:

Of course those things are important. But 'much more important'? Prove that.

OP
D

dtaylo1066

Ah, thanks. StaticV3 you are a font of knowledge in all things zeros and ones.

I guess I am not a nerd as this is the first I ever heard of Stats for Nerds, but I found it! So 128kbps 48KHz

Looks like my connection speed is pretty good, so I guess my extra payment to Comcast might be worth it.

1713586478105.png

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Ah, thanks. StaticV3 you are a font of knowledge in all things zeros and ones.

I guess I am not a nerd as this is the first I ever heard of Stats for Nerds, but I found it! So 128kbps 48KHz

Looks like my connection speed is pretty good, so I guess my extra payment to Comcast might be worth it.

View attachment 364784
Keep in mind that these streaming stats can and are affected by the current bandwidth between your end and the streaming source server. Since we are also examining active file transmission speed in realtime measurement. Another words the actual codec data is dependent on the actual bandwidth at that specific point in time. Streaming data Audio/Video can and does use a certain amount of buffering to stabilize the signal quality. Many variables are present.

For instance if you examine the third line of transmission data. You can see that the source file is 1280x720@27 frames. The actual data speed with your current bandwidth is 854x480@27 frames. So there is congestion between you and the source server and dynamic compression is evident. This might be bandwidth constraints on your end or it could be on their end. Just a little Nerdy FYI. ;)

OP
D

dtaylo1066

Keep in mind that these streaming stats can and are affected by the current bandwidth between your end and the streaming source server. Since we are also examining active file transmission speed in realtime measurement. Another words the actual codec data is dependent on the actual bandwidth at that specific point in time. Streaming data Audio/Video can and does use a certain amount of buffering to stabilize the signal quality. Many variables are present.

For instance if you examine the third line of transmission data. You can see that the source file is 1280x720@27 frames. The actual data speed with your current bandwidth is 854x480@27 frames. So there is congestion between you and the source server and dynamic compression is evident. This might be bandwidth constraints on your end or it could be on their end. Just a little Nerdy FYI. ;)
Thanks, I have been looking at that and reading about it, so I guess I am getting nerdy. I have high internet speed, and my main audio streaming device is run via wi-fi not ethernet connection, and I have yet to hear any latency, even on hi-res files, but of course it could be happening. I only listen to YouTube audio as part of videos when on my desk top window PC connected via ethernet to a Linksys mesh system, and through headphones and external head/amp dac.

When using my streamer in my listening room with speakers, it is audio file format only, no video. Volumio does now have the ability to listen to audio from YouTube, but you get the audio stream only, no video. And on my main system I am rather certain I can hear the difference in audio quality between YouTube vs redbook.

Of course the audio brain can make one feel rather certain about things which are not the case in reality. So I guess the question in my case is can I hear the difference between a streamed over wi-fi redbook or hi-res file vs. one that is 128KBPS.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Way more important. A badly mix/recorded song is easily perceived. Lossy compression may reduce the fine detail, but if it is well recorded, it will still sound nice.

Go listen to RHCP Californication, awful production, no flac hi-res can make up for that. Now listen to those:

After reviewing my reply, and listening to your examples, perhaps I was a bit hasty. Certainly the codec is less important that the recording. Thank you for helping me on my learning experience.

Top Bottom