• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New to the audio game - Need help w/ Setup dx3 pro+

rifat10467

Hello folks,

Not an audiophile by any means, but I enjoy good audio.
I updated from a 58x jubilee to hifiman edition xs and topping DX3pro+.

I looked through the booklet for the topping and it's a foreign language.

Any tips on setting this up?
Youtube doesn't seem to have setup guides.

For instance, the gain is -99 to 0. How can I get to positive?

total noob, sorry.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello folks,

Not an audiophile by any means, but I enjoy good audio.
I updated from a 58x jubilee to hifiman edition xs and topping DX3pro+.

I looked through the booklet for the topping and it's a foreign language.

Any tips on setting this up?
Youtube doesn't seem to have setup guides.

For instance, the gain is -99 to 0. How can I get to positive?

total noob, sorry.
0 is full volume.

The book might have english in the second half.

If not, the one you can download here has an English section:

dx3-pro-user-manual

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you are listening from your PC, get yourself EqualizerAPO and start learning how to apply EQ curves to your phones. Then when you've experimented - go to AutoEQ, select your phones, select EqualizerAPO (either parametric or graphic) download the configuration file, and apply the curve. In this way you will have 99.9% of all the performance most normal people need :).

Aaaaand theeeennn - then you can deviate - as per your preference; because maybe you like things a bit differnet than most people - and that is OK.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are listening from your PC, get yourself EqualizerAPO and start learning how to apply EQ curves to your phones. Then when you've experimented - go to AutoEQ, select your phones, select EqualizerAPO (either parametric or graphic) download the configuration file, and apply the curve. In this way you will have 99.9% of all the performance most normal people need :).

Aaaaand theeeennn - then you can deviate - as per your preference; because maybe you like things a bit differnet than most people - and that is OK.
It might make sense if he just figures out how to use it first - before getting bogged down in equalisation.

Limopard

The M key on the remote switches the gain. There is low (+6) and high (+19; GAIN in the display lights up). Afterwards the volume is still from -99 to 0, but it is louder with the high gain setting. With a HD 600 my listening volume is between -46 and -37, depending on the music's inherent loudness.

The FIR key on the remote switches between 7 digital filters. The effect (to me) is close to non-existent.

Last edited:
OP
R

rifat10467

Very helpful information here.
All the video reviews I saw on youtube did not have a (-) before the gain. Any reason as to why mine is that way?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All the video reviews I saw on youtube did not have a (-) before the gain. Any reason as to why mine is that way?
Can you point us to an example - link to video AND time where this is shown.

The reason for 0 being full volume is this is the level at which the music is encoded in the digital signal (Full scale). All the volume control for a DAC can do is turn it down from there. Hence negative numbers for "less than full scale"

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Congrats on your purchases, both are excellent devices for enjoying nice music! :)

I dont know DX3 but I suspect you might be confusing the gain of the amplifier with the level of the DAC.

Digital audio signals are scaled in such a way that the highest level that can be achieved would be zero and anything below that would be a fraction of it, usually referred to in decibels, or dBs. What you are seeing on your screen is probably the level of the DAC. I suggest you set it to -3dB and leave it there.

What others are talking about when they say gain is the "multiplier" of the headphone amplifier. That number would be most likely positive. Leave it at low gain if it gets loud enough for you, and if not switch to high gain, but before you do so, bring the volume down on the PC to make sure it does not get too loud suddenly.

OP
R

rifat10467

g the gain of the amplifier with the level of the DAC.

Congrats on your purchases, both are excellent devices for enjoying nice music! :)

I dont know DX3 but I suspect you might be confusing the gain of the amplifier with the level of the DAC.

Digital audio signals are scaled in such a way that the highest level that can be achieved would be zero and anything below that would be a fraction of it, usually referred to in decibels, or dBs. What you are seeing on your screen is probably the level of the DAC. I suggest you set it to -3dB and leave it there.

What others are talking about when they say gain is the "multiplier" of the headphone amplifier. That number would be most likely positive. Leave it at low gain if it gets loud enough for you, and if not switch to high gain, but before you do so, bring the volume down on the PC to make sure it does not get too loud suddenly.

Thank you!

Top Bottom