• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

rc2776

raj2776

Registered
Joined Feb 12, 2007
41 Posts
#818 · a moment ago
New

Hello AudioScienceReview members and fellow enthusiasts, I finally bit the bullet and got the STR-AZ5000ES about two weeks ago after almost a decade long relationship with top tier (2nd or 3rd from the top models ... most recent was Denon AVR-X6700H). I was totally prepared to be vowed by this 40lb beast. However, after two weeks I am a bit underwhelmed. I have tried almost every source available from devices such as Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield Pro, Panasonic 4k UHD BluRay Player and apps such as Disney / Hulu Plus, Spotify Premium, Amazon Music Unlimited, etc. With my speaker setup (Aperion Verus Grand LCR and Surround with 6 in ceiling 8" Speakers from Polk, 2X Seaton Submersive HP and miniDSP 2X4) and room configuration, the sound quality / clarity sounds similar to my Denon but bass response even with Subwoofer Level Setting at 10 and Seaton Submersives at 60-70% seems to be lacking in a big way.

My speakers are more or less in the right place, except for the fact the the Rear Heights are directly above the MLP, rather than behind the MLP. Hence the SSM enabled or disabled makes very little difference. I have tried a few 360 Reality Audio songs from Amazon Music and did not find the experience to be anything to write home about. If I set the front towers as Large, the Subwoofers go completely silent. And if I set them to small, the subwoofers start getting a signal but I feel they can do a lot more.
Please advise what am I doing wrong. What do I need to do to get to hear the true potential of this "revolutionary" receiver.
A sincere call out to prior Denon owners and their insights on why they feel this new Sony ES series is better for them.

Last edited:

Eric Natural

Hello AudioScienceReview members and fellow enthusiasts, I finally bit the bullet and got the STR-AZ5000ES about two weeks ago after almost a decade long relationship with top tier . . . With my speaker setup (Aperion Verus Grand LCR and Surround with 6 in ceiling 8" Speakers from Polk, 2X Seaton Submersive HP and miniDSP 2X4)
Possible to take the miniDSP device out of the chain & re-calibrate ? You're applying dsp on top of dsp - maybe the issue

Last edited:

rc2776

Possible to take the miniDSP device out of the chain & re-calibrate ? You're applying dsp on top of dsp - maybe the issue
It will be a bit challenging but I can make it happen. I will certainly give it a try in the upcoming weekend.
Weren’t many saying the Sony doesn’t do any subwoofer calibration?

SilverRubicon

It will be a bit challenging but I can make it happen. I will certainly give it a try in the upcoming weekend.
Weren’t many saying the Sony doesn’t do any subwoofer calibration?

It does not do any low frequency calibration. You'll need to keep the miniDSP in the chain. You may wish to re-calibrate the miniDSP when changing receivers but it should remain.

rc2776

It does not do any low frequency calibration. You'll need to keep the miniDSP in the chain. You may wish to re-calibrate the miniDSP when changing receivers but it should remain.
Thank you for clarifying. My issue is that my subs are capable of producing gut crushing bass. However, with the AZ5000ES bass level at 10, and the subs turned up 70%, I am getting barely adequate bass. As if, something is sucking out the bass from the system.

Top Bottom