• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New MMT from Dennis Murphy with SOTA drivers!

OP
D

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I have the facts straight. You came, saw and posted very publicly without bothering to reach out to the person whose post you claim offended you. The record is clear. Perhaps you should go back and look at it. Perhaps you might consider the optics of your approach.
I think we're about to get a visit from the friendly forum monitor. Let's everyone take a deep breath. This is a science forum after all.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Dennis Murphy, I tend to avoid inserting myself in discussions on a public forum, however, since the laundry is already airing out here I might as well chip in my two cents. Firstly, AirBlade is not in an “experimental stage” as you put it, the units ship in the form they are ought to be and they have been for some time now. The only thing that is in the experimental stage is your project with Jim, which you seem to be awfully prejudiced against without having even tested the driver. So far this forum, that as you said has a very educated audience, heard from you only non-technical, sound quality unrelated remarks that 1) the driver is likely a gimmick but it’s OK because Jim is picking up the tab, 2) it’s expensive 3) it looks like this or that 4) probably won’t sell because of 2 & 3. I am asking you this: where is the information about how is actually sounds? Shouldn’t that be the thing you would want to touch on first? Nobody here at Arya Audio requested for you not to discuss AirBlade on a public forum because we won’t be “happy” about what you share, but because the discussion so far, considering you are actually designing the system for Salk Sound, has frankly been quite unprofessional. We’re happy to help you with everything you touched on including waveguide implementation that would take care of the cosmetic aspect you are clearly not a fan of, as well as lots of technical information that you would have surely found useful, should you have decided to discuss it with us before taking to a forum and sharing your preconceptions.

Arthur Marker | Founder | Arya Audio Labs
Talk about the Kettle calling the pot black.
Way over reacting here bud and doing yourself no service.
Zero.
Yikes, you likely have a very interesting product/component. Rather than frying grasshoppers with magnifying glasses IMHO use this exposure as a great opportunity to find some love here. Lots of folks with real interests frequent these notes. Plus you sound crae.
Looking forward to hearing more about your components.

Last edited:

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Talk about the Kettle calling the pot black.
Way over reacting here bud and doing yourself no service.
Zero.
Yikes, you likely have a very interesting product/component. Rather than frying grasshoppers with magnifying glasses IMHO use this exposure as a great opportunity to find some love here. Lots of folks with real interests frequent these notes. Plus you sound crae.
Looking forward to hearing more about your components.

If I were to ask you why you thought it appropriate to post this, it would be a rhetorical question that I would hope you would not try to answer.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quarrels are boring. Measurements of the driver is interesting. Let us see some hard facts instead of reading all this non-sense. Those measurements from last page is useless since the resolution is Nokia 3310 compatible at best.

Last edited:

PaulD

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
- Eleanor Roosevelt.

Let's stick to "ideas", this is ASR.

SerpensCaput

I was just pointing out that it was odd for a company who was only selling those to now also selling a unique, maybe SOTA tweeter; but then I saw that the initial design came from elsewhere.

Would love to see how it actually performs, but looking at those measurements I linked to, if they are close to the final product, does not inspire confidence, as it’s using 20dB intervals on a 100dB axis with 1/6th smoothing and it still isn‘t that smooth.

For reference, here is the semi-recently measured Dynaudio LYD 5 using the same chart scale as the measurements for the AirBlade, and this is with the native 1/20 smoothing:
View attachment 85456

What is the purpose of comparing FR of an active, full system with a single, passively connected driver? With DSP you can make anything look flat. If it will sound good is another question.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the purpose of comparing FR of an active, full system with a single, passively connected driver? With DSP you can make anything look flat. If it will sound good is another question.
I could have chosen a passive too. My point was the LYD 5 as a pair of completed speakers is cheaper than the cost of the tweeter; wide dispersion and low distortion are good, I just hope it can be tonally accurate without needing intense adjustments in the crossover or DSP (the LYD 5 is mostly <0.5% THD in the tweeter’s frequency range, so not much DSP was likely used).

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would also love to see some comprehensive measurements of this driver.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I like the look of this driver, imo it would look better wihout baffel. But not importend. At the moment i know nothing about the driver, only that it is not cheap. Efficience, powerhandling, FR, THD. All open to me. Measure that thing, show the measurements. Or give @hardisj one. Iam sure he would enjoy to do this work. Than we have facts to talk about.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reading about this tweeter I like the fact that you can specify the dispersion width to suit your purpose. Depending on the vertical dispersion we could possibly be looking at a (more) reasonable alternative to the omni-directional MBLs?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Reading about this tweeter I like the fact that you can specify the dispersion width to suit your purpose. Depending on the vertical dispersion we could possibly be looking at a (more) reasonable alternative to the omni-directional MBLs?

We know nothing.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Not trying to hijack the thread, but just to let you know, the tweeter I'll be working with on the Purifi MMT should be of interest to speaker junkies. It incorporates a lot of new technology and I don't think anyone else is using it yet. It can be crossed at 1200 Hz with 180 degrees radiation. Here's a link to an AudioXpress article about it: https://audioxpress.com/news/the-airblade-transducer
Any news? At least tell us is it a go? Did you get the chance to test the claims?

OP
D

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Any news? At least tell us is it a go? Did you get the chance to test the claims?
There have been follow-up (and friendly) discussions with ARYA, and the general consensus is that the full potential of the tweeter in its present form can only be realized with an active crossover. I could probably pull off a passive version if I crossed at 2 kHz or above, but then Amir would complain about directivity error at the crossover point and I would be banned from the forum. I won't go into the technical issues, but the engineers are working on modifications that will allow a passive crossover point in the region we were hoping for (around 1 kHz). Jim Salk may build an active version with a low crossover point just to see what the Air Blade can do, and I no doubt will do a passive version with a higher crossover for my own amusement.

OP
D

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Is the "Hype" something different from the folks at Arya Audio?

https://www.facebook.com/AryaAudioLabs/
Is the "Hype" something different from the folks at Arya Audio?

https://www.facebook.com/AryaAudioLabs/
I haven't heard anything about this. My guess is that it's the regular tweeter with an add[-on passive padding device that let's you cross at 1000 Hz (probably using a cap inside the box) by ramping down the response by 10 - 12 dB, or using blade as a kind of super tweeter without padding it down. If so, it wouldn't help out my situation, which would call for a design change in the tweeter itself to maintain adequate sensitivity with a low crossover point.

MSP0416

Thank you for the reply sir.
About 15 years ago you kindly designed crossovers for three different speakers I had sent your way. They all sounded magnificent!
Thank you again for your kindness!!

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting:
image002-jpg.3111305.png

Martin

XpanD

Forum Donor
The looks are definitely interesting to say the least, but if it sounds good I'm all for it. It's a very interesting design, looking forward to seeing what comes of this. Here's hoping we get some more hard data! (and hopefully some more pleasant conduct as well)

Top Bottom