• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New apartment, new decisions! Which room, which wall?

May Kasahara

Hi, I will soon have the opportunity to create a dedicated listening room in my apartment. However, I now have the question of which room and which wall I should prefer.

Room A

Width 2,75 m
Length 4,75 m
Space 13,06 m²

Room B

Width 2,90 m
Length 3,75 m
Space 10,88 m²

Rooms.jpg

Can anyone recommend something to me and explain why you would choose this option?

* edit for clarification: the green and red squares are symbolic for the speaker and seat positions ;) green: speakers at the window wall; red: speakers at the right wall

Last edited:

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As a rule of thumb, the speakers and listener(s) should be located at a minimum distance of 0.5 m from room boundaries.
The listener also has to be seated at a distance of 3 to 10 times the largest dimension of the sound source.
These requirements are easier to meet in the bigger room: Room A

The wall that your speakers should be placed at would be the one near the grey line.

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Definetely the green setups (red ones are not room symmetric) and I would prefer Room B for better stereo separation and the higher probability of being able to apply one-thirds rule. You can find a lot of information and useful links in this tutorial:

ozzy9832001

Room B is close to the dimensions of my office. I setup along the long wall, not the short. It sounds better and gets much better FR on the low end.

My recommendation will be to test both rooms and see which has the better response. Room A would probably be best as it's bigger and the axial room modes will be slightly further apart.

Different construction materials, what's above and below you, etc will all play a part in how the room handles the sound.

You would not want to sit in the middle of the room or if it can be avoided have the speakers too close to a corner.

Top Bottom