• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Netflix cuts 4k bitrate in half promises you'll not see the difference, and raises prices....again.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

They sneakily increased prices here too. My opinion to my partner was we don't really get value for money from it, so we should drop it. Hardly look at Netflops* anymore after the initial honeymoon period.

That's my nickname for the crap movies they make. I avoid anything with a "N" in the corner.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry if $1 per month rattles your chains.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Not really @Ron Texas, it's just that paying more money for less quality makes anyone question the service.

I just downloaded my entire viewing history (excel csv from Netflix) for the last two years, and looked at the numbers. In reality, every show viewing has cost over $1. We average about 17 title/show watches per month and in reality, a number of those were just starts (a few minutes and then we pulled the plug).

So, it's a no brainer for me, but my partner likes having 'options' so we'll keep it a bit longer. I can go to the local thrift/pawnbroker and buy DVDs for 50c-$1, put them on my NAS and donate the discs back to my local church op shop and have more options with quality movies. In Australia, we hardly get a fraction of what you get in the US. :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@restorer-john we do have an overload of media in the US. After all, they make most of it here. However, the thought of watching DVD's does not excite me. We have cable in our house, which is a total waste of money, but my wife loves it. At least there is a discount on the bundled internet service and it works really well.

Years ago I did some scuba diving off Port Douglas and took a boat out to Osprey Reef, sweet. Who needs TV when you can watch sharks and fish as big as cows swimming around?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

The price increase isn't really that much of a surprise. At the moment, Netflix is the only subscription-based video streaming service that allows mch audio to play via a PC so I still have a good reason to watch movies and a shows there from time to time -- although I more often watch on a portable device. I also don't own any 4K displays and am not planning on taking the plunge in just yet...

Right now, I still prefer Blu-ray discs because of the lossless audio quality. I've compared the 5.1c DD audio from Netflix with some of the discs I own... the sound I'm hearing from the blu-ray discs is much better, of course -- but it's not a huge difference.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
@Wombat Well I learned something today, thanks Wombat. :)

thumpsup.gif

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Who needs TV when you can watch sharks and fish as big as cows swimming around?
Sure it's all fun and laughs till one of them turns around and bites your leg off. o_O
Not really @Ron Texas, it's just that paying more money for less quality makes anyone question the service.
I'm kind of in the middle here. I logged into Netflix maybe twice last month and didn't find anything I wanted to see. Has gone that way pretty much the last few years. But I hate to give up the option, always hoping I'll find something good like I used to.. All the decent programing is getting chopped up between the new providers that keep coming on line via streaming. I think I'd have to sign on to 5 or 6 different providers to get the same program load I was getting from only cable and Netflix 10 years ago. BLAH.
I may just try out Disney+ for a while, it has much of the SciFi stuff I like there now.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm kind of in the middle here. I logged into Netflix maybe twice last month and didn't find anything I wanted to see. Has gone that way pretty much the last few years. But I hate to give up the option, always hoping I'll find something good like I used to.

Pay for a month after you notice a few titles listed that you want to see, then cancel and repeat later.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do not see the interest of paying extra $ for Netflix 4k.
Netflix 1080p is far sufficient for the catalog.
Similar to 1080p 10 years ago, it is not normal to pay more for 4k.
Amazon is providing 4k for the same price.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Beggars can be complainers, not choosers. If you depend on Netflix, they'll milk you the way they want it.

Surely there is nobody who depends on streaming television? Are we not audiophiles around here? ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure it's all fun and laughs till one of them turns around and bites your leg off. o_O

All the decent programing is getting chopped up between the new providers that keep coming on line via streaming. I think I'd have to sign on to 5 or 6 different providers to get the same program load I was getting from only cable and Netflix 10 years ago. BLAH.

I know one diver who got too close to a nurse shark taking a photo and got bit on the hand. While they were stitching him up in the ER the power went out and they finished the job with flashlights. I've had a few close calls.

Your observation of what is happening in the streaming industry is correct. Our cable provider now provides NBC Plus in the package. To hold onto business the cable companies will have to continue in this direction. The other elephant in the room is Disney with their all or nothing stance. Subscribers are forced to pay for the very expensive ESPN, but only 30% watch it. There's also a year of local sports charges and no local sports.

The good part is there is a ton of new content being produced. It's great stuff without the expensive A listers.

leeroy 85032

?? i gotta call bullshit on that thought, we get nickel and dimed to death by pretty much every pay service these days .. having the thought that enough is enough is real... the thought that somebody else's "enough" is worth demeaning is bullshit arrogance... sorry (not) if i offend..

Last edited:
Top Bottom