• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Netflix cuts 4k bitrate in half promises you'll not see the difference, and raises prices....again.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
?? i gotta call bullshit on that thought, we get nickel and dimed to death by pretty much every pay service these days .. having the thought that enough is enough is real... the thought that somebody else's "enough" is worth demeaning is bullshit arrogance... sorry (not) if i offend..

You offend. I'm not demeaning anyone. Kodi is piracy. You might as well use torrents.

leeroy 85032

You offend. I'm not demeaning anyone. Kodi is piracy. You might as well use torrents.
it was meant to, you were demeaning the op's original thought, so i responded , deal with it.. and kodi isn't illegal to watch in the US.. so have any opinion of that you want , but congress has yet to pass a bill that declares it illegal.. but i'm sure you will have a cheeky response.. peace chief...

D

Deleted member 2944

I dropped Netflix last month. Had it for over 10 years. Not happy with some of the program choice they made and the former politicians they hired and paid millions to in production deals. Also, to many alternatives available at lower price or included with cellular service.
Yes! Some of the programming and people they've funded are disgusting. But, that could be said for a lot of media companies. I've had HBO in that category for many years.

Dave.

leeroy 85032

Yes! Some of the programming and people they've funded are disgusting. But, that could be said for a lot of media companies. I've had HBO in that category for many years.

Dave.
i think there are so many other options these days that netflix won't be missed by the individual... something that you want to watch comes on :grab a firestick and download kodi.. $25 one time expense and you have entertainment..

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Kodi, I've got it installed on my Linux box and have for quite some time. I've only tested it as a front end to my music files but never liked it much., I'll stick to Strawberry for now. IMHO the GUI is a mess and very un-intuitive to use. I may have to look into it more to learn of this "dark side", y'all are talking about. LOL

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They sneakily increased prices here too. My opinion to my partner was we don't really get value for money from it, so we should drop it. Hardly look at Netflops* anymore after the initial honeymoon period.

That's my nickname for the crap movies they make. I avoid anything with a "N" in the corner.

My understanding is that many of the Netflops aren't even "made" by NF, or commissioned by them. Many are flops that for whatever reason no one else wants to distribute so they buy them and brand them.

Key characteristics of a netflop for me:

1. Long- really bloody long.
2. You feel every minute of the duration
3. No likeable characters
3. Somewhere between 30 and 50 minutes, you pause and check the duration, thinking you must be at least 70 minutes in and weep when you find you are not even 2/3 through
4. Either too much action and special defects OR absolutely nothing happening for seemingly hours. Pacing is universally terrible in all the ones I have seen.
5. Few to no laughs and even less tears.

leeroy 85032

Kodi, I've got it installed on my Linux box and have for quite some time. I've only tested it as a front end to my music files but never liked it much., I'll stick to Strawberry for now. IMHO the GUI is a mess and very un-intuitive to use. I may have to look into it more to learn of this "dark side", y'all are talking about. LOL
i use it mainly to watch real time on friday nights ... you are right , mainly it's a broke d*** mess, but it beats paying hbo $15 a month to watch 1 or 2 shows .. plus you can "preview" other shows from networks you don't have to see if maybe they are worth watching/ paying for.. and it isn't illegal .. don't fall for misinformation brought to you by a multi billion $$ industry calling their viewers "thieves"...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry if $1 per month rattles your chains.
Frog in the pot - Netflix is depending on it and with Covid they’re feeling in command right now. But the Ferris wheel of technology turns and someday (soon?) their seat will pass the top and start heading down.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I the only one who is disgusted by the English voice overs Netflix does to some European shows. Babylon Berlin being one good example.

They use the same small crew of people for multiple shows. They sound like they are all high school drama students they can get cheap. They make no effort to match the voices. One guy, who sounds about 19 is always the lead character even if that character is a 60 year old diplomat. Ditto for the female lead, she sounds about 16. They don't alter their expressions to show any emotions whatsoever. They could almost be computer generated except you could do better if you computer generated them. It drives me crazy and kills the show. I end up watching with sub-titles, and liking it much better.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Am I the only one who is disgusted by the English voice overs Netflix does to some European shows. Babylon Berlin being one good example.

They use the same small crew of people for multiple shows. They sound like they are all high school drama students they can get cheap. They make no effort to match the voices. One guy, who sounds about 19 is always the lead character even if that character is a 60 year old diplomat. Ditto for the female lead, she sounds about 16. They don't alter their expressions to show any emotions whatsoever. They could almost be computer generated except you could do better if you computer generated them. It drives me crazy and kills the show. I end up watching with sub-titles, and liking it much better.

I will almost always take it in the native language and go with the subtitles. It just gets too disconnected for me otherwise.
Last one like that I watched was 'Dark'.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I only like voice over on animated films, and not always, the rest of the time it's subtitles.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Am I the only one who is disgusted by the English voice overs Netflix does to some European shows.
To be honest, I've never watched one so I can't comment.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Disclaimer: I don't use 4K. Still sticking with my 1080p Panasonic plasma.

I really like some of the Netflix exclusive shows. For example, reviewers are not hyping it when they say The Queen's Gambit may be one of the best series of the year. (Admitted bias: I used to be a little bit of a chess geek when I was a kid, so I loved it).

A dollar more per month is fine with me.

However, I wonder if Netflix really needs the money? Or are they just doing this to keep pushing their stock up? If it's towards more original and exclusive programming, I don't mind.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I will almost always take it in the native language and go with the subtitles. It just gets too disconnected for me otherwise.
Last one like that I watched was 'Dark'.
For whatever reason, Americans are more likely to subtitle Foreign film than Europeans American films, at least by theater convention.

Top Bottom