• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neat optical illusion

dasdoing

Major Contributor
The black hole doesn't work for me

always liked this one

thecars.jpg

they are all the same size

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks to me like an anamorphic projection, similar to the advertising on football pitches that looks right to the camera, but totally skewed when seen from above.
There was an album cover by Steeleye Span that used the same trick.
Very clever in any event.
S

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Found an STL and had a look in a slicer. The tubes are identical, but their edge changes hight in a specific wavy pattern.

Definitely going to print one when I have the time to ignore my noisy old Prusa i3 MK2.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Gets more interesting as he tries to defeat the illusion...

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I don't get it. Is it sorcery?

The tops of the tubes have a specific height profile, like a wave. Like those 'square' skateboard wheels (from another poster) that do the same trick. Plus diffuse lighting to avoid giveaway shadows in the wrong places.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Often cited as proof of the perils of listening to audio gear you can see, but really not that in terms of specific mechanism. In the trick video the phonemes are the same of course, but real-life 'ba' and 'fa' are also sonically similar enough to not distinguish reliably (refer to blind testing in the linguistics literature). The video image is presented to trigger categorical perception (storage and retrieval of phoneme categories in long-term memory) to differentiate. As a general example of how visual stimulus can cue perception this is fine, but extrapolating this too comprehensively to material that can also be experienced non-categorically, like music, is tenuous.

JSmith

Master Contributor
The ambiguous cat...

The-Ambiguous-Cat.jpg

The white circles appear to form a circular shape that rolls around the inside of the circumference of the red circle. But of course, this is an optical illusion so that couldn't actually be the case. The white circles are actually all moving in a straight lines, the timing just happens to create the illusion that they're moving in a circle.

2ibZM88.gif

Is it moving?

optical-illusion-abstract-rotating-frames-feat.jpg

Which way is the horse turning?

Xa8w3KjcMmZis9awYgmyxB.gif

How many horses are there?

1696896690590.png

The hidden tiger?

1696896887725.png

Here kitty kitty... (shake your head)

1696896984797.png

1696897020356.png

This is real;

1696897397402.png

BBC meteorologist David Braine said the "superior mirage" occurred because of "special atmospheric conditions that bend light".
He said the illusion is common in the Arctic, but can appear "very rarely" in the UK during winter.
Superior mirages occur because of the weather condition known as a temperature inversion, where cold air lies close to the sea with warmer air above it.
Since cold air is denser than warm air, it bends light towards the eyes of someone standing on the ground or on the coast, changing how a distant object appears.
Superior mirages can produce a few different types of images - here a distant ship appears to float high above its actual position, but sometimes an object below the horizon can become visible.

JSmith

Shiva

This thread led me to a youtube channel called Grand Illusions, which I've often visited over the years. here, something completely different. but still interesting. The Eulers disc.

Top Bottom