• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Napier’s Dutch&Dutch 8C review

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting the note about one speaker failing. It’s ammunition for all those boomers with their reliable passives.

awesome speakers no doubt, but I don’t think I’ll ever spend that much.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Interesting the note about one speaker failing. It’s ammunition for all those boomers with their reliable passives.

Only boomers can afford these speakers tho, or the house to contain them.

FWIW, LS50W electronics were also pretty unreliable at the start.

Cardioid response might be a new paradigm.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
In actuality ‘most’ customers for the 8Cs are younger, professional guys who understand the science and who haven’t been fed the ‘audiophile’ BS.
Even ‘pro’ users are generally younger guys who simply require the most transparent loudspeaker.
Just to add ‘boomers‘ can simply have too much capital invested in their current systems to justify changing even though the 8Cs offer better SQ.
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Throwing about the term ' boomer ' as some kind of intergenerational slur is quite pathetic. You can take such obviously antagonistic rhetoric elsewhere.

its just another form of discrimination and I won't tolerate it here at ASR.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to add ‘boomers‘ can simply have too much capital invested in their current systems to justify changing even though the 8Cs offer better SQ.
That'd be me, though I might have considered it if I had a room that was suited to the recommended positioning.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I didn't take the term 'Boomer' as used here as a slur on my age group.

Great if Keith's info regarding D&D buyers is more universal. I'd also suggest the UK 'high end' is dominated by wealthy older people of similar age and older than I still basking in some brands' 80's commercial hey-day.

ferrellms

I am a boomer and audiophile since 1972 when I first heard Magnepans (and bought Advents). I have an engineering background, though, and have always been skeptical of golden ears as opposed to measurements. About 10 years ago, I decided to put together a cheapie home studio for fun, and got a couple of Mackie powered monitors that I liked a lot. Out of curiosity, I switched them with my living room B&Ws that cost 4 times as much (including the necessary amplifier). They blew the B&Ws away from top to bottom. I was astonished at how colored the B&Ws ( universal audiophile magazine favorites at the time, BTW) sounded and how poor was their dynamic range despite the 400W amp I was using to drive them! B&Ws off to Ebay, and Mackie and Genelec in the living room and studio ever since. Even boomers can recognize superior sound (and gloat when the cost is so low in comparison);)

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That's not really fair. Plenty of passive speakers, even some sent to reviewers (though not me personally), leave the factory with mis-wired crossovers, drivers wired in the wrong polarity, and so on. Many of the customers cannot or do not hear such problems, for whatever reason. It's harder to miss when an amp goes down (which happens in passive speaker systems too!).

Cadguy

Thanks for this link, that is also a very well written review. It's interesting to note that the reviewer preferred the JBL L100 Classic's "live in the room" "flesh and bone" "massive sound stage" presentation. Kal Rubinson also indicated that the D&Ds sound stage was "less obviously impressive but seemed more honest" compared to other speakers. I think though that the D&D's accuracy and neutrality will lead to more long term satisfaction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom