• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My JBL LSR310S ate a pistachio. How to proceed?

Tupisac

My 8 years old son managed to feed my subwoofer with a pistachio via a front port.

Now I'm wondering what's the safest way to get it out - by unscrewing the driver or the plate amp? Are any of those glued in? Any short wiring I have to look out for?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it is not rattling, leave it .
Just cover the port with a fine mesh, to stop flies going in after it.
Alternatively:
- you can open it to get it out
-OR, invest in an inspection camera such as this. to see if you can locate it and pick it out.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Can't you just suck it with a vacuum cleaner?
Stick a small hose to it and put it in low speed.

Beave

Major Contributor
You can remove either the woofer or the plate amp. The plate amp is probably lighter and easier to handle.

OP
T

Tupisac

@Tupisac looks fairly easy to disassemble:
https://youtu.be/lrSLb574WvQ

Just a few screws holding in the woofer and you're in.

Thanks, I've found it too.

You can remove either the woofer or the plate amp. The plate amp is probably lighter and easier to handle.

Plate amp approach is tempting as one of the jack inputs is slightly wonky and might need some resoldering. I'm just concerned if it's glued in.

personally, I wouldn't go through the afford because of a single pistachio. I won't even rott because of the salt

It's unsalted :/

Also I have a downward firing sub. I'm seriously concerned this pistachio might get lodged between a spider and a membrane or something.

Beave

Major Contributor
But the inside of the subwoofer is fairly open, and the woofer is on the bottom - meaning the pistachio very well might be sitting on top of the woofer cone. It might make an audible rattle when the subwoofer is in use.

Edit: this was in response to post #7 above.

D

Deleted member 48726

Wow. Well you have work laid out for ya.

1st you need to procure a squirrel. Then you need to train the wild animal to obtain food from pitch black places emitting sound waves between 20-70 Hz at varying volume. And this is the hard part.

If you succeed you send in the brave soldier and pray it is not going to look at your subwoofer like nesting grounds.

OP
T

Tupisac

Ok, it's done. I went through plate amp. It's not glued in.

Wires are kinda short and amp is quite heavy. Fishing the nut out was a bit challenging, especially with the possible shocking hazard. I saw pretty hefty looking caps in there.

Whew...

Joe BKNY

Talk of a trained squirrel retrieving a nut reminded me of the story referenced in the link - a favorite story from my youth. In it, a genius mastermind criminal succeeds in escaping from an “escape proof” prison. He achieves that as the result of a very elaborate scheme in which (among many other steps) he trains the rats in his cell, and using them manages to get a string run through the drain pipes to the outside world. What struck me at the time (and stayed with me since) was something the character says after explaining his ingenious scheme - that there were two other entirely different ways he could have escaped. Anyone who has done technical or mechanical (or indeed any other kind of) problem solving will recognize that idea - there are almost always multiple ways to solve a problem!

Top Bottom