• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My audiophile days are behind me.....

RichardDLO

I spent 30 years in the HI-FI biz back in the day when we were the guru's. But now I'm looking for input on bang for buck on a system I can't audition. Thinking someone might have compared. I'm an oldster so the extra brightness of both is useful.

Choice 1 SVS powerbase amp only (the new one) with a pair of Q150's OR The SVS powered speakers solo? Both have HDMI input which is sorely missing in 2.1 systems. The SVS powered speakers have better bass management when using subwoofer, which I will. The powered speakers have high pass which the amplifier by SVS does not.

TIA Richard

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
How about mid range integrated Yamaha from A-S or R-N line with loudness and tone controls instead paird with a Elac DBR62 bookshelf's. For example R-N803/D, it doesn't have HDMI input but does have Optical one's (phono stage, radios [D is for models with DAB], streamer...). Mention as it is amp + speakers should be costing you about 1300$.

OP
R

RichardDLO

How about mid range integrated Yamaha from A-S or R-N line with loudness and tone controls instead paird with a Elac DBR62 bookshelf's. For example R-N803/D, it doesn't have HDMI input but does have Optical one's (phono stage, radios [D is for models with DAB], streamer...). Mention as it is amp + speakers should be costing you about 1300$.
I've considered the Elac DBR but both of the systems I've referenced above are sub 1000.00 and have eArc. The systems you suggested would also require I buy a steaming device of some sort.

But thanks for input.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I don't understand you regarding streamer of some sort statement? As much as I know (almost) every TV has a optical out and suggests amp has a network streamer (Musicast). DBR62's are better than Q150 and 500$ is their full price now. You can use Q150's with Yamaha if you wish as they are down from 650 to 300$ and not a bright speakers is not a problem with treble control on amp.

OP
R

RichardDLO

This is my 1st post so excuse my not understanding. The question I asked is very clear or at least I thought it was.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
This is my 1st post so excuse my not understanding. The question I asked is very clear or at least I thought it was.
Not even remotely. No one hire won't recommend you something that whosent been measured. And you didn't even mentioned which SVS speakers.
Figured out it's SVS Prime Wireless Pro.
As neither that amp or speakers were measured to my better knowledge no one will.
Chrispy's question whose however crystal clear and if you answer it along with clearly stated requirements someone will answer that much I am certain.
By the way plenty of sub's with fixed 80 Hz high pass filter trough lo level I/O lines (including SVS one's and those SVS speakers have such). Welcome to ASR and have a nice time.

OP
R

RichardDLO

How many SVS powered speakers with eArc? (1) Anyone qualified to answer question would have known that and have heard the Q150's compared to the SVS powered speaker. Otherwise the response would not be what I asked. I can read a review and if this forum is just an echo box of reviewed items, know that I read the reviews. I did clearly state I have 30 years industry experience which might indicate to some people that I was seriously asking for a qualified answer to the question asked. Not a display of wisdom or sarcasm.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Then you know what tone controls and equal loudness control's do. You want a qualified answer? Alright then Q150 fall apart on higher SPL levels and I don't mean higher distortion but whole frequency response and aren't bright like that. Yamahas are blast from the past (Sanken A-B class amplifier stages, good power stages and good capacitors) and they will certainly outlive SVS D class one's. SVS software is something buggy and even that is understatement. As you know the best incompetent myself can't recommend you what to do nor I have wish to do that even if you asked nicely anymore.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You might also look at the Bluesound Powernode Edge. It's about the same price as the SVS SoundBase and also has eARC input. It's advantage will be support for a full range of online music services and internet radio. Also packs an onboard music server to play any music files that are on your home network.

That plus the KEF speakers (currently on 50% discount) would make a fine system for under $1K.

OP
R

RichardDLO

You might also look at the Bluesound Powernode Edge. It's about the same price as the SVS SoundBase and also has eARC input. It's advantage will be support for a full range of online music services and internet radio. Also packs an onboard music server to play any music files that are on your home network.

That plus the KEF speakers (currently on 50% discount) would make a fine system for under $1K.
Thanks, I did look at the Bluesound product, the only flaw in my use case is that the controls on top would not be ideal.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Thanks, I did look at the Bluesound product, the only flaw in my use case is that the controls on top would not be ideal.
Bluesound does have an App if you want to remotely control the unit with a phone or tablet. Let’s all dial back the sarcasm. People are here trying to help you. We don’t always get the help we need but we should be appreciative of the help we get.

Welcome Aboard @RichardDLO

Top Bottom