• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I agree 100% with not being able to stand Bob Dylan's voice. Same with most folk singers. I don't like or understand jazz. I have tried to listen to it. Fingernails on a chalkboard effect. Too random and too many "wrong" notes (to my ears). I can't stand most rap "music".

I don't like Pink Floyd's first two albums. The rest are great.

I've always preferred metal (not the growl kind), symphonic metal, classical music and some country music.

Haha, how opposite!

I reckon Dylan (and Eilish) have totally interesting voices, and tonal dissonance (in jazz, or math-rock, or electronic, etc) is equally fun compared to consonance. Pink Floyd's early stuff was their most enjoyable: after WYWH it descends into over-worked cliche-ridden tosh (imho of course). Also, what is the point of metal/sub-genres without growlo/screamo?

Anyway, no offence vs your taste and enjoyment, of course. :)

Last edited:

Jflijohn

Haha, how opposite!

I reckon Dylan (and Eilish) have totally interesting voices, and tonal dissonance (in jazz, or math-rock, or electronic, etc) is equally fun compared to consonance. Pink Floyd's early stuff was their most enjoyable: after WYWH it descends into over-worked cliche-ridden tosh (imho of course). Also, what is the point of metal/sub-genres without growlo/screamo?

Anyway, no offence vs your taste and enjoyment, of course. :)
Animals and The Wall? … and then I agree

Jflijohn

What’s that type of Jazz where they throw the music for about 5 different songs up in the air and you each grab a random sheet and start playing… ya, that’s kind of annoying to listen to.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I hired a string quartet for my wedding, and when I told them this song was banned (play and you’re fired on the spot), I got a big thumbs up from the cellist.
I have played that video for every music appreciation I have ever taught!

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Eagles - Hotel California ( song and Album)
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Bob Dylan - great songwriter, should be legally forbidden to sing
The Doors - any of it
Celine Dione - any of it
Grateful Dead - the vast majority of it
Rap - all of it
Jazz - like Miles Davis and a few other, hate mindless noodling

Robin L

Master Contributor
When I worked in record stores, I did everything in my power to appreciate whatever music was playing. Now that I'm retired, I find that just about anything new just doesn't work for me. Metallica and metal never did either, though on a certain level that didn't make sense to me as I really liked Punk while that was a thing. But now I'm mostly listening to Classical and pre-Classical music. And there's no reason to believe I'm missing out on anything - there's plenty of old music I haven't heard yet.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Dixieland Jazz, I think that's what it's called. Though I did like Louis Armstrong's "Won't you come home Bill Bailey."

Yoko Ono, I hate to beat a dead horse, but she was pretty bad and anything she did seemed to be the same way.

Regards

pderousse

Svet Angelov

Has anyone mentioned Olivia Rodrigo?

I've had the unfortunate experience of hearing more than two of her songs. The aural equivalent of dogshit smeared on toast.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Has anyone mentioned Olivia Rodrigo?

I've had the unfortunate experience of hearing more than two of her songs. The aural equivalent of dogshit smeared on toast.

I guess you're not a dog person? :)

Odd reaction to some fairly conventional pop/rock that doesn't appear to have specific characteristics that negatively differentiate it from the mainstream of the sub-genre. I don't know if you are referring to the subject matter or the sonics of course. I have listened (as it happens) and was struck by the similarity of her debut album's opening track riffage in brutal to Elvis Costello's Pump It Up. I wasn't the only one, but Costello himself was entirely ok with it.

beeface

I've only heard "get him back" by Rodrigo. To me it's a fun, inoffensive pop track. Nothing groundbreaking, but not everything needs to be. Good lyrics too

beeface

I really, really hate sombre/moody covers of popular songs

I don't know who the artists are, but they're often heard in movie trailers:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I really, really hate sombre/moody covers of popular songs

I don't know who the artists are, but they're often heard in movie trailers:

Haha, that one is Sharon Van Etten apparently. Looks like her oeuvre is melancholic. I love that feeling generally (I don't know her stuff particularly) but it's not for everyone.

I guess an upbeat rendition wouldn't have suited the movie topic. But it was an astonishingly bad movie (imho) even given my low expectations.

Edit: listening to a bit more of her stuff, I'd better credit Juggernaut Kid, who maybe added the more interesting sonics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom