• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

MrSoul4470

I just got some Pink Floyd stuff, because hey it's Pink Floyd and people say it's great. I thought that if I listen to it a couple of times (more) I would finally see the magic in it. But nope, Pink Floyd is still a horribly boring amateurish band to me.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got some Pink Floyd stuff, because hey it's Pink Floyd and people say it's great. I thought that if I listen to it a couple of times (more) I would finally see the magic in it. But nope, Pink Floyd is still a horribly boring amateurish band to me.
You've done more than your due-diligence requires. No magic there; keep moving along!;)
IMO, one should give any music/group/band, at least, a few spins before making that final decision...

Some of us - raised in that era - will continue to say "PinkFloyd was Great" but others will not think of them as earwigs... and that is just too bad!

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You've done more that your due-diligence requires. No magic there; keep moving along!;)
IMO, one should give any music/group/band, at least, a few spins before making that final decision...

Some of us - raised in that era - will continue to say "PinkFloyd was Great" but others will not think of them as earwigs... and that is just too bad!
Well depends how you look at Floyd's and which Floyd's and from what perspective. To be fair everything after Pompeii whosent how it started and pretty repetitive regarding ideas in the back for me at least. I don't listen to classical, for me it's boring but that's me and I don't insult people who like it nor particular peaces or authors (simply not interested). What ever makes you happy. I had a long history for experimental, progressive gerne shaping (early works) and it whose a great journey. There is more then balanced and plesent harmonic into music (aesthetics and pretty much everything else).
Any way gerne I hate is turbo folk.
Have a nice time.

DeepSthBoy

There seem to be plenty of threads on favorite music: best female/male vocalists, best songs by era, discovered artists, well recorded, favorite this or that... but I've seen no threads on music you hate, or dislike if hate is too strong a word. Something you will turn off if it starts playing or you will not listen to.

I had a friend in the late 1970's and early 1980's that absolutely hated Jethro Tull. I don't know what it was about Tull he did not like but he would react violently if someone played Tull. We all knew it. We had another friend that tried to provoke him one day by playing Aqualung when we were partying together. This Jethro Tull hating friend jumped up, grabbed the record off the turntable, and pitched it across the room. It was hilarious.

So you're reaction does not have to be that severe but is there any music you do not like?

I'll go first...

1. Bob Dylan: I absolutely hate Bob Dylan's voice. It is physically repulsive to me. In my opinion he simply cannot sing. He should have stuck to the songwriter part of singer songwriter. He writes beautiful songs but ruins them by singing them.

2. Creedance Clearwater Revival/John Fogerty: John Fogert's voice grates on me. I cannot stand the nasally, whiny quality of his singing. A definite no for me. CCR put out some good songs but I simply cannot listen to them.

3. Conway Twitty/Merle Haggard: I have a very good friend that loves these old twangy country crooners. I cannot stand them. They don't grate on me like Dylan or Fogerty but they'll put me to sleep within minutes.

4. Metal with growling lyrics: I cannot stand growlers. Grrr - makes me cringe. Hate it all.

I know opinions are like a--holes, we all have them and they all stink except our own. These are my opinions. Care to share yours?

Which artists do you dislike?

Martin
I also despise Dylan. I used to like "Hurricane" until I found out decades later that the dude was really guilty after all. Also cannot STAND the Dead. Every song is a slight variation of "Sugar Magnolia", which sucks in the first place.

DeepSthBoy

Three songs, Stairway to Heaven, Free Bird, and Hotel California, that I hate because they’ve been so over played on FM radio.
Zep is my favorite band, and I live in Alabama. That said, I hate Stairway AND Free Bird. HC is good on Eagles in Melbourne.

Svet Angelov

I love their most popular stuff (the wall, DSOTM) and I think that's mostly for nostalgia reasons - growing up, I used to hear 'em all the time on my dad's stereo. Anything else I've never been able to properly digest. A bit too many pterodactyl sounds for my liking...:D

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I also despise Dylan. I used to like "Hurricane" until I found out decades later that the dude was really guilty after all.

It's easy enough to check facts. Charges against Rubin "Hurricane" Carter were eventually dropped: in 1985 the final trial judge ruled that the prosecution had been "based on racism rather than reason and concealment rather than disclosure". In 1998 the Supreme Court declined to hear the prosecution's appeal and upheld the 1985 ruling.

Weirdly, a while back a mate said the same thing to me at a party recently. Probably picked up some racist meme somewhere.

Last edited:

DeepSthBoy

It's easy enough to check facts. Charges against Rubin "Hurricane" Carter were eventually dropped: in 1985 the final trial judge ruled that the prosecution had been "based on racism rather than reason and concealment rather than disclosure". In 1998 the Supreme Court declined to hear the prosecution's appeal and upheld the 1985 ruling.

Weirdly, a while back a mate said the same thing to me at a party recently. Probably picked up some racist meme somewhere.
I am not intentionally spreading falsehood. I regret "misremembering" (as Dubya might say) the Carter story. Racist meme? Hardly.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I am not intentionally spreading falsehood. I regret "misremembering" (as Dubya might say) the Carter story. Racist meme? Hardly.

No, I didn't mean you were, I was wondering where my friend got the same idea from. I mean they were convinced and saw that as some kind of commentary on life. I was surprised enough to check for myself (it's a pretty famous song, although being younger I originally knew it from an Ani DiFranco cover thanks to my parents, which happens: I'm sure I have friends who think Heaven's Door was originally a GNR song while chillin' to the Avril Lavingne or Club Moon versions, although ANOHNI's is more my speed).

Anyway "Dylan protest song guy actually guilty" sounds like an obvious right-wing meme to me, when the matter was actually settled decades back, and unavoidably racist. That's not a topic for extended discussion on this forum, but you can go back to enjoying the song again, if you like, and there's no need to despise Dylan, at least not for that. :)

Last edited:

Jflijohn

I hang with a bunch of old rock guys an NOBODY likes Pink Floyd. Initially neither did I. My best friend was a huge Pink Floyd guy in the ‘80s, he tried everything he could to get me in to the Floyd… it finally worked. Pink Floyd (and now Brit Floyd) and the stones are my two most listenable bands, maybe because, after all this years, I have a point of reference. But, believe me, it took a long time. Same for Bob Dylan.

HoweSound

I have a few dislikes:
Sting - too shouty
Bruce Springsteen - nice guy - can't sing
Lots of the current girl singers with breathy or phony voices - contrast with real female singers like Jennifer Warnes, Allison Krause, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez.

I scoured this list from front to back looking for the one person disliked by no-one. The winner: Paul Simon. Excluding of course Garfunkel. Paul's best move ever was going solo.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Sting - too shouty
He's too Sting. Charlie Brooker got his number: "Mister Issues himself Stingford Stingington Sting." He's sooo annoying. He should be on my list of people I really want to punch. As a Policeman he was as fake punk as bad as Toyah.

Lots of the current girl singers with breathy or phony voices - contrast with real female singers like Jennifer Warnes, Allison Krause, Joni Mitchell
Sting took a leaf from Joni's book when he hired the best jazz-rock-fusioneers money could buy and took them on tour to get their musical skill to shine on him/her. I think Joni did it better: Brecker, Patmeth, and Jaco's Take One solo

DeepSthBoy

No, I didn't mean you were, I was wondering where my friend got the same idea from. I mean they were convinced and saw that as some kind of commentary on life. I was surprised enough to check for myself (it's a pretty famous song, although being younger I originally knew it from an Ani DiFranco cover thanks to my parents, which happens: I'm sure I have friends who think Heaven's Door was originally a GNR song while chillin' to the Avril Lavingne or Club Moon versions, although ANOHNI's is more my speed).

Anyway "Dylan protest song guy actually guilty" sounds like an obvious right-wing meme to me, when the matter was actually settled decades back, and unavoidably racist. That's not a topic for extended discussion on this forum, but you can go back to enjoying the song again, if you like, and there's no need to despise Dylan, at least not for that. :)
It seems we can make that sort of sweeping generalization and have it be true some percentage of the time...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How could have I forgotten this one?:eek:
Bruce Springsteen - nice guy - can't sing
Some Joiseyites disliked him so much that when his songs aired on FM-rock, everyone would dive to change the station.
When I moved-out, I would say "I left Joisey to NOT be associated with B.Sh*tsteen".:facepalm:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
It seems we can make that sort of sweeping generalization and have it be true some percentage of the time...

What generalisation are we referring to?

Dismayed

Billie Eilish. She sounds as if she’s in the midst of an asthma attack, gasping for air.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I agree 100% with not being able to stand Bob Dylan's voice. Same with most folk singers. I don't like or understand jazz. I have tried to listen to it. Fingernails on a chalkboard effect. Too random and too many "wrong" notes (to my ears). I can't stand most rap "music".

I don't like Pink Floyd's first two albums. The rest are great.

I've always preferred metal (not the growl kind), symphonic metal, classical music and some country music.

Russell484

Music I can't stand: Cecil Taylor, (You're right Cecil I just don't get it, so give me some Charles Mingus. Wagner.(no not Honus, the other guy but give me Mozart). F. Liszt, (all sizzle but no steak so give me F. Schubert). Country Western Hat Acts, (Give me some actual music like Alison Krauss). Frank Sinatra, (All talk and bam bam boring so give me Mose Allison). John Denver, (the town is much more interesting, but lets go to Chicago to get some Howlin Wolf), Lawrence Welk, (Ah accordian music for old people, but lets trade polkas for Louisiana two step and give me Clifton Chenier who never gets old). Mariah Carey, (is that Mariah or too much wow and flutter with my turntable? just give me some Aretha), Ricky Nelson, (So sweet but too much sugar give me some Bo Diddley or Chuck Berry), Boz Scaggs (ok, but give me Fenton Robinson). Kingston Trio, (give me Martha and the Vandelas). Don't worry, I won't go on anymore. I am an old fart and that's my excuse.

Top Bottom