• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Munich Hi-End

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could be wrong but I don’t believe there is any method by which DSP could be implemented in the Magico system that is being shown in Munich. They might be measuring for best/least worse speaker placement.
Keith
We may never know if there is a simple PEQ running in software to tame down a room mode for example. :)

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try to understand what is going on from Magico's point of view. Their product is for high end audiophiles. The overwhelming majority (I would say 99%) of high end audiophiles are subjectivists who listen with their eyes. If they see that you are using hardware store speaker cable or power cords, you will lose credibility very quickly. I don't think it would cost them anything to demo their equipment with those products either, most of them would LOVE to be associated with a company like Magico, particularly if they had gone to such lengths to get their room sounding right with DSP. Magico gets to show some street cred with their market, and those snake oil companies get people to think that amazing sound is only possible if you pay attention to everything, because "everything matters".

I am NOT saying that there is any scientific basis behind any of this, nor am I remotely suggesting that any of this is audible. It is a marketing exercise, and when you look at it this way, it all makes sense.
Sure, makes sense for marketing. But this is not ethical, imho. They could just hide the cables or use some good looking thing and say they made it themselves and they match perfectly with the speakers or something like that. But the Valhalla product even has the same font size than the speakers, like they are equally important for the "chain".
The only excuse for promoting snake oil products is, if someone actually believes they do something good. But Magico is way too expensive for me anyway, so whatever.
But if RME or Genelec used something like that in their booth, i would find that extremely disappointing. I hope and trust they don't. I know, they do not depend on mislead people's money.

Last edited:

FrankW

It's so weird. You might think it's a picture from a large-scale physics research facility, but it's just the back of a stereo system. :facepalm:

DSC_2380ss.jpg
I think you need all that to purify the BS

FrankW

82 pages so far and very little tat interests me personally, apart from this,

If you haven’t tried the Baach system you should!
@Dialectic

Keith
Over here we call that the "Gangsta lean", but it's usually the reclined seat back, not speakers. What's going on there? Treatments on floor too?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
But if RME or Genelec used something like that in their booth, i would found that extremely disappointing. I hope and trust they don't. I know, they do not depend on mislead people's money.
For this reason, I am very disappointed with NAGRA, for example. I can still remember their old tape recorders, which were fine mechanical devices that made sense in the professional recording context of the time. Today they pander to 'oligarch hi-fi'. Their new turntable I find completely off.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The huge Munich Hi-End show opens tomorrow, if you haven’t been it is worth visiting at least once, there is a really comprehensive photographic coverage by my Hi-End.
https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?13372-2023年德國慕尼黑High-End音響展實況報導-Munich-High-End-Show

Updated every day.
Keith
82 pages that thread, just scrolling all of them is tiring, let alone Leo visiting, photographing with such a high quality, and uploading it all! Incredible effort.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I have never understood why people find these multiple pictures intriguing when you aleady have seen the same speakers and gear many times. What's interesting is getting an honest report of the sound quality together with a few overview pictures of it. And if something actually sounds great, it would be nice to hear about the technical ideas behind the design. Most of these reports are repetitive and uninteresting.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never understood why people find these multiple pictures intriguing when you aleady have seen the same speakers and gear many times. What's interesting is getting an honest report of the sound quality together with a few overview pictures of it. And if something actually sounds great, it would be nice to hear about the technical ideas behind the design. Most of these reports are repetitive and uninteresting.
Also: can we please not see pictures of the audio "designers" or audio "journalists"?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I started going through it again and stumbled across this:

DSC_4330ss.jpg

Beautiful! The bent over man in the background makes the composition perfect.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Keith_W

Major Contributor
DSC_3559ss.jpg

A clear plastic bin for cash donations.

Or a miniature Helmholtz resonator.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
As usual most of the demos are not very good. As I was told once, it is puzzling how audio high end can be both bad and expansive. The worse bass of the show is won by Focal who managed to get their Utopia sounding like a ghetto blaster.
dCS and Raidho had pretty good sound.
Fun fact, Grimm are demoing their streamer with whatever non Grimm bookshelf.
Tomorrow is mainly business meetings for me, not sure that I will have more time for fun.
Probably not the best environment to assess judgment, but I trust your professionalism, so I'll ask: How was Perlisten?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
What's funny about the Helmholtz resonator is that it's placed at non pressure point. So there would be more or less zero effect, even if the device is correctly designed.

woofersus

Audio Company
Having done a bunch of audio shows from the other side of things, I can say that, while maybe a company like Magico can pick anyone they want, these pairings are frequently a product of financial contributions to the cost of the show. We've shared a room with fancy cable brands a bunch of times, and honestly have never felt pressured to defend their need. The people who want to notice the cables do, and the rest don't. The cable noticers mostly aren't interested in anything else in the room and they talk to the cable guys and not me.

Outside the brands that are both high price AND high volume, there are a lot of mom and pop operations and guys with day jobs and retired engineers and things like that in the high end audio industry, and even if they are selling expensive gear, they are operating without much room for error and doing these shows really adds up. Also if you just make speakers and no amps or amps and no speakers you have to partner up. The cable manufacturers are (mostly) totally dependent on others to show their gear.

woofersus

Audio Company
A few actually do just have a display room with stuff on the walls sometimes. I've seen that a few times at the bigger shows. But again, that's the big companies with name recognition and money to burn. You have to display them somewhere and not just pull them around behind you in a suitcase, so many piggyback on the other rooms.

Top Bottom