• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multi-channel DSD playback

mkt

I have tried DoP. My experience was that there was small but audible artifact in the transitions from a flac track to a DSD one. I wasn't sure that I remembered this correctly, so I tried it now and had the same behavior. So I stick to PCM, which is perfectly fine with me. Room correction is GLM.

I'd say this is a very "your milage may vary situation" with possibly different behavior on Windows or with a different DAC.

Something that I find annoying with Roon compared to other players is that Roon does not play SACD ISOs. You have to extract the DSF files. And I have a lot of ripped SACDs.
1674262881556.png

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have to extract the DSF files. And I have a lot of ripped SACDs.

Yes, we have several "unofficial" methods extracting DSD layer (1 bit 2.84224 MHz) of SACDs into "DSD64 (x1)" .dsf files.

As shared here, I too extracted the DSF files of all of my several (not so many) SACDs and stored the .dsf tracks in my SSD digital music library. I now usually play all the music, however, in 96 kHz or 88.2 kHz by real-time PCM conversion using JRiver feeding into DSP EKIO; the summary of rationales, at least in my case, can be found here.

mkt

The storage of the extracted DSF files does add up.

SoundsGood64

Summary of Gapless playback methods for multichannel DSD files (with references):

Kodi (transcode DSD->PCM) on PC (LibreELEC), connected to AVR via HDMI

Roon (transcode DSD->PCM or DoP) on Mac, connected to Okto 8 Pro DAC with GLM room correction. The DoP method seems to be one of the few ways to get DSD over HDMI from a computer (in the PCM wrapper) but report of problem with DoP below:

Foobar with or without mConnect app (transcode DSD->PCM) on PC, connected to AVR via HDMI

1) JRiver (on PC?) to Trinnov via HDMI, or 2) JRiver (DSD->PCM in JRiver) to DSP EKIO to Okto 8 Pro DAC

Thanks for all previous posts to make this summary.
Any other methods for gapless Mch playback of DSD files, or further comments or corrections on any particular method?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
1. I generally use JRiver on PC and on Mac sending DSD directly via USB to a number of exaSound MCH DACs (currently s88), Okto DAC8 Pro, Topping DM7.
2. I have also sent DSD via LAN to the s88 as well as via AES67 to Merging Technology NADAC .
Many other ways............................

dwymer

Interesting thread. I've been spinning sacd discs for 20 years. Only learned how to make back up files a few months ago. My very easy solution for now is to load all my .dsf files onto a 1 tb SSD drive and plug the drive into the front USB port of my Oppo 105. All the music comes up on the "music" menu and play perfectly (2 ch and mch). I've been considering Roon, but not sure how it will work with these files and my Oppo, which I'm using as a 5.1 DAC. BTW I obviously run 6 rca cables from Oppo to my pre-amp (Parasound P7).

Reactions: mkt

steveoat87

Interesting thread. I've been spinning sacd discs for 20 years. Only learned how to make back up files a few months ago. My very easy solution for now is to load all my .dsf files onto a 1 tb SSD drive and plug the drive into the front USB port of my Oppo 105. All the music comes up on the "music" menu and play perfectly (2 ch and mch). I've been considering Roon, but not sure how it will work with these files and my Oppo, which I'm using as a 5.1 DAC. BTW I obviously run 6 rca cables from Oppo to my pre-amp (Parasound P7).
This definitely works but I don't get any album art on dsf files. Do you?

dartinbout

I use XReCode to rip the ISO's to DSF. The ISO format doesn't contain anything beyond the music files. All of the other ephemera can either be had from your where you obtained ISO file or from the great big internet "thingy".

SoundsGood64

I think you might need to add the album art to your .dsf files, as possibly suggested by dartinbout in post 28. With .dsf files on the USB of the Oppo 105, is the playback of 2ch, 5ch or 5.1ch gapless?

dartinbout

I just store the album art in the same folder and J.River displays it as requested (same with "Fooby"). I'm assuming "Ruin" or "Aardvark" does as well but I don't with mess with those beyond a few "one nighters".

JaccoW

When extracting none of them do. But .DSF has support for ID3v2 tags so I use a program like Tagscanner to mass edit my files and add high-res scans of my covers.

Top Bottom