• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most cringeworthy Movie Cliche.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the bad guy giving a long monolog to the hero as he has the hero helplessly lying while the bad guy points a gun at him, revealing the details of the plan, giving away clues on how to still avoid a disaster, and allowing the hero to regain momentum, leading to the inevitable doom of the bad guy...

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And my personal pet hate:
Red wire blue wire, and a pair of wavering wire cutters. Why do directors/writers think this lends any sort of credibilty or plot jeopardy after all this time?
Similar to the red wire blue wire is needing to take a parked car, and finding the keys in the visor. I think both of those are running jokes with the screenwriters.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the bad guy giving a long monolog to the hero as he has the hero helplessly lying while the bad guy points a gun at him, revealing the details of the plan, giving away clues on how to still avoid a disaster, and allowing the hero to regain momentum, leading to the inevitable doom of the bad guy...
It is so overused to where it now gets meta and some villains state they aren’t going to spill their plans.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Similar to the red wire blue wire is needing to take a parked car, and finding the keys in the visor.

Hot-wiring a car yet paying no heed to the steering lock and driving away :mad:

And Tom Cruise, no explanation needed.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Admittedly, I think Tarantino does tropes the best as he is intentionally playing that card for effect. In this example, turning it into a horrifically funny 1 min dialog game.
Tarantino definitely does it on purpose, there are tropes he likes and tropes he doesn't like, and he isn't very subtle about it! :D

droid2000

Nonlinear/fractured plots.

I can't remember the last time I saw a movie done in chronological order.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nonlinear/fractured plots.

I can't remember the last time I saw a movie done in chronological order.
Good Time and Uncut Gems are both in chronological order, although honestly you might find yourself wishing for a flashback as a break or something. :D

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Flexible time, like starting a whole conversation how they love each other while there is no time to waste according to the movie plot. Apparently sinking ships, bombs, colliding trains, erupting vulcanos, bullits etc wait for their turn.

Because of this, all the reasons others provided in this thread and that ime a small budget with passionate people delivers the best result, I usually watch Arthouse movies or play a popcorn nonsense Hollywood movie, where they don't take themselves too seriously.

Timso

Gunfights where no good guys get shot and the bad guys are shooting from everywhere all at once. Although it was funny the way Tarantino played it in Pulp Fiction, right after the scene above

posvibes

Three of my favourites that have been around for ever and continue to be used and I wonder if any of the scriptwriters that use them have ever seen Family Guy?

The altitude high drone shot of a lone car driving on an empty road between heavily forested flanks either side, (doomed from the start).

A inevitably barefoot young woman, bleeding, bruised and scantily clad running for her life through a heavily wooded forest in the dark of night not being able to put any distance between herself and a slow walking sometimes standing still serial killer. Scandi Noir chapter 1.

Impatiently pumping the up button for the lift (escalator) because that always works in the real world refuses to come and darting up the fire escape any number of floors in equal or better time.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Prolonged procrastination for effect , do the thing already !! Argh :) wait 893 rings on the phone before answering...

The police u-turn with screeching tires , why is the incident never in the forward direction.
For best effect the cops should have a coffee break outside the vehicle , throw away thier donuts when the call comes run to the car slap a magnetic light on the roof and make the u-turn :)

Top Bottom