• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mossing a product

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
When I had the D30pro, I really wanted to like it, but alas, not for me. I found I liked the remote volume. Never had that for my stereo before.
Searching, I do not find something like the Topping L30 or similar affordable head/pre unit with a remote. I would use it mostly just as a pre. One can go to the too large to fit my space old Stereo brands and pay ten times as much with distortion numbers that would not fit on the right side of the page.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Check this out. :D

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I had the D30pro, I really wanted to like it, but alas, not for me.
What didn't you like about the D30Pro. I love mine.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
What didn't you like about the D30Pro. I love mine.
Gad I wanted to love it but:
I had driver compatibility issues. Now what I was doing was not SOP. Windows, WMP with the Sound Forge ASIO plug in and the Topping driver. Never got it to work. I got that stack to work on my Focusrite. Can't really blame them as an odd configuration.
I had several stutter/dropouts. Not the host as I have never had one before or since. I do blame them for this.
It had the same 3100Hz or whatever "glare" as my Schiit. Something I am hyper sensitive to. So clearly the issue is not simple THD as the D30 is fantastic as measured. Blows my mind measured actually.
I power up through a sequencer and sometimes it would just come up in standby, not on.
I kept trying to convince myself which issues I could overlook, but in whole, sent it back.

So,
Running the JDS Atom DAC+ with the Asgard as the pre/head amp. Very happy, but it turns out I miss the remote.
I wish I had a clue why the DAC difference. They probably do too. If it was as smooth as the Atom, I would have kept it.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Check this out. :D

Proof with a big enough hammer, anything is possible. I do have an Arduino.
I am looking into the e-bay special remote servo volumes and butcher my Schiit. I want to replace the DAC board with another pair of RCA's anyway. I would use a good Alps of course.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gad I wanted to love it but:
I had driver compatibility issues. Now what I was doing was not SOP. Windows, WMP with the Sound Forge ASIO plug in and the Topping driver. Never got it to work. I got that stack to work on my Focusrite. Can't really blame them as an odd configuration.
I had several stutter/dropouts. Not the host as I have never had one before or since. I do blame them for this.
It had the same 3100Hz or whatever "glare" as my Schiit. Something I am hyper sensitive to. So clearly the issue is not simple THD as the D30 is fantastic as measured. Blows my mind measured actually.
I power up through a sequencer and sometimes it would just come up in standby, not on.
I kept trying to convince myself which issues I could overlook, but in whole, sent it back.

So,
Running the JDS Atom DAC+ with the Asgard as the pre/head amp. Very happy, but it turns out I miss the remote.
I wish I had a clue why the DAC difference. They probably do too. If it was as smooth as the Atom, I would have kept it.
Funny how some stuff just refuses to play nice with other stuff.

My experience with the D30 pro is the opposite. Mind you I don't use Windows or any computer hooked up to it for that matter. But plug a phone or iPad in and wow. You have remote that way as well.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Tough to test every combination and no solid interface standards which is why I don't blame them for the driver issues.

MCH

Major Contributor

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I missed that one. Looking at the details. First pass, I want one.

Question: It it is UNLPUGED, as in no power, and you apply power, does it come on or do you have to turn it on? Does it come on to the same volume as when it was powered off?

MCH

Major Contributor
Sorry i can't help you. At some point i had a topping L30 and when this came out i thought about buying one (that's why i know about it) but i didn't eventually. I guess you can ask in its thread, for sure people there know these details.

Top Bottom