• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith THX 887 vs Topping A90

Vinnces

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Topping D90 and was wondering if I should try to sell my 887 and grab a A90 at the same time. Any major difference or I won't notice any thing? Will be listening on LCD-X and TH-X00 PH.

jae

Major Contributor
It is a better product spec wise but not so much better that you would notice anything, especially at normal listening volumes. So the decision would be more or less be for if you wanted balanced out/pre or watched to match your new purchase in terms of aesthetics.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure you will think the new one is better. I think we all would. I doubt there actually would be any audible improvement but new toy and better measurement syndrome will kick in.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Topping D90 and was wondering if I should try to sell my 887 and grab a A90 at the same time. Any major difference or I won't notice any thing? Will be listening on LCD-X and TH-X00 PH.
Since you already have the 887 I'd keep it long enough to A/B it with the A90 to see if you can hear a difference, or find that the A90 has some other preferable attributes - then decide which one to sell.

Make sure to get XLR cables as the interconnect between the D90 and A90. :)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d90-balanced-usb-dac-review.10519/post-448019

apparently , A90 is a tad warmer than the THX options .

Says who?
the channel on youtube * soundnews* is doing rewiews on amps and dacs and audio stuff . i saw some comments on forums as well about that . i was planning on getting one to go fully balanced but i will go for a tube amp before , im curious about that with my hd800s :)

Phony846

I had the Monoprice 887 and swapped it for the Topping A90. Why? I have the SMSL M400 DAC and the 887 was clipping when the M400 was set to max output. Yes I could dial back the M400, which I did. But with the A90 I can run the M400 full blast without clipping. I also think the A90 has a better physical build quality to it than the Monoprice 887. The monoprice power button felt especially cheap and flimsy.

jackdanyal

I had the Monoprice 887 and swapped it for the Topping A90. Why? I have the SMSL M400 DAC and the 887 was clipping when the M400 was set to max output. Yes I could dial back the M400, which I did. But with the A90 I can run the M400 full blast without clipping. I also think the A90 has a better physical build quality to it than the Monoprice 887. The monoprice power button felt especially cheap and flimsy.
Just curious do you even use the 3rd gain with 4V input power? With balanced input the 2nd gain is already can destroy ears and brain even on 1pm position

fieldcar

Says who?
C'mon. Read the measurements. Sheesh. Get your ears and mind straight before making such ludicrous statements.

The THX 887 is glaringly sibilant. Look at that 0.05dB rise above 5KHz!

index.php

Look at the warmth. A HIGHLY audible -0.1dB roll off at 50KHz.

index.php

Carlo2AC

C'mon. Read the measurements. Sheesh. Get your ears and mind straight before making such ludicrous statements.

The THX 887 is glaringly sibilant. Look at that 0.05dB rise above 5KHz!

index.php

Look at the warmth. A HIGHLY audible -0.1dB roll off at 50KHz.

index.php
I can cleary hear above 20k and that A90 sounds way darker
/s

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ii have the SMSL SP200 and Topping A90 also. The A90 is much more detailed and I noticed right away on the DT1990, DT770 250ohm, and He4xx that I was hearing much more the difference in sound signatures. If I reviewed headphones the A90 would be a must. I've had the THX 789 and the One version also. On the A90 each headphones strengths and weaknesses is just much more apparent.

jackdanyal

Ii have the SMSL SP200 and Topping A90 also. The A90 is much more detailed and I noticed right away on the DT1990, DT770 250ohm, and He4xx that I was hearing much more the difference in sound signatures. If I reviewed headphones the A90 would be a must. I've had the THX 789 and the One version also. On the A90 each headphones strengths and weaknesses is just much more apparent.
But how u can hear the difference, especially differentiate a sound signatures if Topping and SMSL claim that their amps are transparent and don’t have any sound signatures did u do blind A/B testing with A/B switcher? Related to the measures of 0.000009 (or whatsoever) of both amps, it’s physically impossible to hear any difference.

fieldcar

Here is a listening test to help everyone quantify what SINAD means to their own ears, as most people have a poor understanding of what those SINAD numbers actually sound like. Personally, I can't break -39dB, and I find it frustratingly difficult to hear any difference between the A and B sample at and beyond -39dB (~1.122%THD). Compare this to a SINAD of 119dB(0.0001122%THD) for these SOTA amps, and you'll quickly realize that these numbers are FAR FAR FAR above what is audible. Whatever you're listening with; IEM's, headphones, or speakers, they all have far higher distortion than any competently designed DAC and Amp.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a listening test to help everyone quantify what SINAD means to their own ears, as most people have a poor understanding of what those SINAD numbers actually sound like. Personally, I can't break -39dB, and I find it frustratingly difficult to hear any difference between the A and B sample at and beyond -39dB (~1.122%THD). Compare this to a SINAD of 119dB(0.0001122%THD) for these SOTA amps, and you'll quickly realize that these numbers are FAR FAR FAR above what is audible. Whatever you're listening with; IEM's, headphones, or speakers, they all have far higher distortion than any competently designed DAC and Amp.

Sobering...
but it comes to be liberating.

Peace.

Top Bottom