• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurable aspects of sound perception

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Ask them about Beaucastel.

Never found much poop in Beaucastel, for Christmas we had a magnum of López de Heredia Viña Tondonia and were disappointed, no funk at all.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know those at all. I was thinking Clos des Mouches ...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
some have opined that they funk in it is due to contamination with Bret

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
some have opined that they funk in it is due to contamination with Bret
The ones I've had weren't particularly bretty. Then again, I mostly drink Rhones.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I'd say a tie between Overnoy and Coturri.

Come on, a link to the famous review. ;) I never had a Coturri that turned me off. By far the funkiest Burgundy was from the the grower mentioned in Hanson that was proud of his hint of "tripes de poulet". Now nothing tops some of Frank Cornelissen's wines from Mt. Etna.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Come on, a link to the famous review.

A lot of inside jokes and it's 20 years old now. Joe Dressner never forgave me for it to the day he died, despite the fact that after my review appeared, he sold every bottle (they had been languishing for months) within a day. But here goes:

Nathan pulls out an odd-looking bottle, a present from Joe Dressner, the infamous ’93 Overnoy Arbois Pupillon. Never look a gift horse in the mouth, but at the same time, no need to stick your face in its butt. Lightish color, showing plenty of signs of oxidation, despite the huge sulfur content, both free and bound, not to mention an interesting mix of mercaptans. Imagine, if you will, shoving an M-80 up the hind parts of a skunk, shoving the skunk up the hind parts of a sweaty shepherdess with a yeast infection and on her period. Now the explosion ensues- catch her week-old thong (a gift from Brad Kane) as it flies by. Give it a good hard sniff and contemplate the layers of aroma. Voila! You have the Overnoy. It was all I could do to actually taste it. And I’m (gag!) pleased to report that (gag!) the flavor was consistent with the aroma. Well, at least if you mix in some battery acid. A wine too dirty for me to enjoy- contemplate that and be very, very afraid.

This Overnoy says a lot about Joe Dressner. Some clever guy would taste this and buy a bottle as a gag gift. Joe, ever the man truly committed to humor, actually bought this in quantity, imported it, and sells it for money. THAT is the kind of dedication and willingness to go the extra yard for a laugh that sets him apart from his fellow Man. Many thanks, Joe!

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: Wes

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of inside jokes and it's 20 years old now. Joe Dressner never forgave me for it to the day he died, despite the fact that after my review appeared, he sold every bottle (they had been languishing for months) within a day. But here goes:

Nathan pulls out an odd-looking bottle, a present from Joe Dressner, the infamous ’93 Overnoy Arbois Pupillon. Never look a gift horse in the mouth, but at the same time, no need to stick your face in its butt. Lightish color, showing plenty of signs of oxidation, despite the huge sulfur content, both free and bound, not to mention an interesting mix of mercaptans. Imagine, if you will, shoving an M-80 up the hind parts of a skunk, shoving the skunk up the hind parts of a sweaty shepherdess with a yeast infection and on her period. Now the explosion ensues- catch her week-old thong (a gift from Brad Kane) as it flies by. Give it a good hard sniff and contemplate the layers of aroma. Voila! You have the Overnoy. It was all I could do to actually taste it. And I’m (gag!) pleased to report that (gag!) the flavor was consistent with the aroma. Well, at least if you mix in some battery acid. A wine too dirty for me to enjoy- contemplate that and be very, very afraid.

This Overnoy says a lot about Joe Dressner. Some clever guy would taste this and buy a bottle as a gag gift. Joe, ever the man truly committed to humor, actually bought this in quantity, imported it, and sells it for money. THAT is the kind of dedication and willingness to go the extra yard for a laugh that sets him apart from his fellow Man. Many thanks, Joe!
OMFG. Where did you publish that? It reminds me of the SNL leftover night skit. I have to try it! https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/bad-decision-family/2868100

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
OMFG. Where did you publish that? It reminds me of the SNL leftover night skit. I have to try it! https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/bad-decision-family/2868100

That was actually part of a much longer note on the old Wine Lover's Discussion Group. People who were at dinner with me thought the note was too kind. Of course, this wine is now a cult item, selling for hundreds of dollars per bottle, for which I take full credit.

I assume that Pet-Nat is unavailable in Arizona? Pity, I'd love to try it.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can we stick to measurements, please?

Like ABV. The single most revealing measurement ever.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That was actually part of a much longer note on the old Wine Lover's Discussion Group. People who were at dinner with me thought the note was too kind. Of course, this wine is now a cult item, selling for hundreds of dollars per bottle, for which I take full credit.

I assume that Pet-Nat is unavailable in Arizona? Pity, I'd love to try it.
Should be able to buy it. Is online wine illegal in AZ? I checked wine.com for AZ and indeed they were out. A good wine shop should have at least one winery.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Of course, this wine is now a cult item, selling for hundreds of dollars per bottle, for which I take full credit.
I can't believe it, the 2015 vintage at $554/bottle, what's your cut? Didn't Dressner have a pink fizzy Loire at $7 that was OK, not all his wines were eccentric?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Joe’s wines were not always good but they were always interesting. We drank the hell out of Brun and Raffault. One of our favorite dinner whites these days is a declassified Closel. Brun’s Beaujolais Blanc is actually on the wine list at our favorite local (temporarily closed) restaurant.

It’s rare for us to buy something unknown on the basis of the importer, but Joe was an exception. But oh man, he despised me.

Top Bottom