• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Maybe I should get into art collecting:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
http://www.cnn.com/style/article/da-vinci-salvator-mundi-sale-christies/index.html

Rare Da Vinci painting smashes world records with $450 million sale...

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F171011113706-da-vinci-mundi.jpg

[...]

When "Salvator Mundi" reappeared at auction in 1958, it was dismissed as a copy and sold for £45 ($59). Acquired by a group of art dealers for less than $10,000 in 2005, the painting -- which was in poor condition and had been heavily overpainted -- was painstakingly restored and subsequently authenticated.

The record-breaking price tag will come as a relief to previous owner Dmitry Rybolovlev, a Russian businessman, who bought the painting for $127.5 million in 2013.

Wombat

Master Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/style/article/da-vinci-salvator-mundi-sale-christies/index.html

Rare Da Vinci painting smashes world records with $450 million sale...

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F171011113706-da-vinci-mundi.jpg

[...]

When "Salvator Mundi" reappeared at auction in 1958, it was dismissed as a copy and sold for £45 ($59). Acquired by a group of art dealers for less than $10,000 in 2005, the painting -- which was in poor condition and had been heavily overpainted -- was painstakingly restored and subsequently authenticated.

The record-breaking price tag will come as a relief to previous owner Dmitry Rybolovlev, a Russian businessman, who bought the painting for $127.5 million in 2013.

If it sold previously for $120 million-odd it would have to be genuine, wouldn't it? Instead of having to prove its authenticity, now it has to be proven that it is not bona fide. There is much subjectivity in that price. In that $$$$$s stratosphere some heavy pressure can be applied to authenticators. Of course that sort of thing doesn't happen with audio magazine advertising vs reviews. And the beat goes on ....... . :rolleyes:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Just as amazing was the fact that it went from $10,000 to that $120 million.

That is the too good to be true bit. All might be kosher, though. ????!!!!

Brad

The buyer was apparently anonymous too! The high likelihood that these prices are primarily for the purpose of laundering and does not even get a mention in the media I find stunning

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The high likelihood that these prices are primarily for the purpose of laundering and does not even get a mention in the media I find stunning
Do you have link to how that works. Asking for a friend.

Wombat

Master Contributor
It could explain the extreme end of audio. Do you take cash?

Brad

I don’t think you can sell ‘high end’ audio at a significant profit 10 or 20 years later

Wombat

Master Contributor
I don’t think you can sell ‘high end’ audio at a significant profit 10 or 20 years later

Dubious money is also converted into current spending. Immediate gratification. Of course those buyers may not be in the 'look-at-me' category. (smilie)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Acquired by a group of art dealers for less than $10,000 in 2005, the painting -- which was in poor condition and had been heavily overpainted -- was painstakingly restored and subsequently authenticated.
Just as amazing was the fact that it went from $10,000 to that $120 million.
In that $$$$$s stratosphere some heavy pressure can be applied to authenticators
Yep, all it took was some creative "restoration" and a bit of friendly cash passed around to "authenticators" then you get insane amounts of money for a bit of oil on canvas. Same thing in audio, witness 5 figure phono preamps, DACs, etc, and 6 figure power amps, then read the flowery prose composed to anoint them.

Top Bottom