• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Maybe a good reason to move your HTPC to another room...

astr0b0y

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1712.07816.pdf

The paper discusses how to created a physical DDOS attack on spinning platter HDDs using sound in the audible range. If this is accurate there’s a reasonable chance of HDDs being disturbed in home theatres that are operating at reference level. Not too surprising I guess given their need for vibration free operation.
You could even design a track that had high dB of the frequencies mentioned.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It was a good read. As a practical matter though, by the time you are close enough to bombard the disk with obviously noticeable sound waves, you could just hit them with a hammer and then run. :) Once you have physical or close proximity to something, all bets are off.

CuteStudio

I moved mine into the garage for the opposite reason, it has a fan and spinning disks which were frankly intrusive.

I contemplated spending a lot of time and money making it silent, but then I remembered that TCP/IP had been invented and was free :D

Top Bottom