• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Many subwoofers yet little bass

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxerfan88

Interesting video.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Puled out of the context and not by Eren good old phase distance adjustment and with woofer diameter that will be able to pull out time domain and impulse response to a sensible range found in actual materials (about 40 Hz true peeks) with adjustment as much as possible lowering back to front refractions (ISO 3382-1) (with minimum phase and such) and resolving ringing and SPL of the room (in lows of course). It's not how one sub is enough (for either linear response or desired SPL or because simply one won't be enough if crossing above 70~80 Hz where waves are shot enough that you have space orientation and separation) but sometimes it's better going with more smaller one's instead of a large ones depending on goals (large half, small room, open field) and usually closed enclosure ones. Still not actually easy to achieve.
Part I don't agree on is our ASP (analog signal processor aka our brain) even to a difference which part of the spectrum it tolerate most (vocal range and it's difference between male and female) or to what part is it relevant for it. More interesting is a short term sensation which fade relatively fast to a level we register as loud enough so that the processing is kept in high alert and corelation and use of equal loudness normalisation together with it. Starting listening on low 70's SPL dB and increasing it for one or two perceived loudness levels (individual but let's call it about 1.5 dB on average) every 30~60 min and preferably ending listening session when it reaches about 80 (all with ISO 226 2003 actively counted in).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is interesting in the video? Looked at the channel's offerings, somehow I doubt he's going to tell me anything new let alone interesting....

D

Deleted member 48726

What is interesting in the video? Looked at the channel's offerings, somehow I doubt he's going to tell me anything new let alone interesting....
I'm discouraged by the title. If it's click baity like that it tells me a lot about the authors motives. Which is not primarily to inform but to make money.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Interesting video.
bugsno.jpg

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
So the video creator starts by saying everyone is wrong about their knowledge of subwoofers.

But of course, only he knows the secret.

Right…

I stopped the video at that point.

Anyone know what he’s selling again?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
One of the mods (I can't remember if it was @AdamG or @BDWoody) said in another thread that they are trying to cut down on members simply posting videos and asking for comments. At least summarize the video so we can decide if it is worth watching or not. And ask us to comment on a specific point rather than on the whole video.

D

Deleted member 48726

So the video creator starts by saying everyone is wrong about their knowledge of subwoofers.

But of course, only he knows the secret.

Right…

I stopped the video at that point.

Anyone know what he’s selling again?
Clicks. To YouTube and sponsors.

Andysu

Major Contributor
subs are just speakers its the DSP crossover that makes the speaker what it is ,

if there are dips at some 40hz then some strong portions may sound weak in dB while 30Hz sounds boomy yet should give a shimmering vibration bass level , 40hz pitch is going bit faster , 20hz should have vibration shaking effect the tone level , anyone hears is not what i call pressurised a bit annoying and a lot of watts/volts going to waste , place bass shaker at the seating and floor and then its felt at lesser level in watts/voltage

if 40hz dip sweep the room real time pink noise RTA till frequency is even in bass then move seating closer to speakers without need of adding dozens of speakers for subs

the rooms are small not large enough , take same speaker outdoors and it has better bass but the bass is weak due to amount of air space outside that doesn't have wall ceiling boundaries that changes the frequency wavelengths , need more power watts , but realistically less watts indoors and no one runs there system full flat out with headroom margin of 6dB before clipping the amplifiers that turns into distortion

40kw is what i have on tap but only need less of it
speakers go down to what ever frequency yet the soundtrack may depend on the mix how low down it goes to how low the amplifier will go or place steep filter so won't go any lower if one doesn't feel confident ? use caution as sudden rise in soundtrack level may damage amp or speaker

aerobreaking in 2010 , 1984 has some bass crunch or grittiness , rawness that i can feel pressing against my body , maybe not at same as g-force , i pass on that

there many ways of doing a sub bass system maybe have it partly underground with long wide tube , but it might be air waves and less mechanical vibration which is needed otherwise it seems weak

wear earplugs and ear defenders and listen to some sub bass may feel some of that the body may notice , when listening with ears it adds an extra distraction , they say should be felt , not really heard or is that the bass shakers , bass shakers are by no means quiet they are still coupled to a surface

look at all these tiny music studios so small not same size as dubbing stages to cinemas where sound will be reproduced at

use REW sound generator sine wave tones , which ones are felt which ones that are not felt , which direction of each speaker matched LCR is the bass sine wave moving , does it sound like in front of speaker or to the sides ? how many here would actually test that ? also the surrounds actually they are speakers used for surrounds

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I listened to that video while I was cooking dinner.

He is selling a "Proximity Subwoofer Controller". The first 18 minutes are a complete waste of time, just filler material and stuff that we already know. He gets to the "meat" of the presentation about 18:30 and says that his controller "repairs the relationship between velocity and pressure" (if you don't already know, if air particles are subjected to a bass sine wave, it has maximum velocity and zero pressure where it crosses the zero point, but maximum pressure and zero velocity at the peak; IOW the pressure-velocity relationship always 90 degrees out of phase). His controller is an analog device and is inserted between the preamp output and the sub input. How does it "repair" the relationship between velocity and pressure? Don't know. Not explained.

He also has a fundamental misunderstanding of how bass works, e.g. he states that there is a lower limit in which he can restore the pressure of bass wavelengths. Umm, not really ... as wavelengths get longer until 1/2 wavelength is longer than the length of the room, the room is in the pressure zone (i.e. the zone below the modal zone). IOW the sub is only generating pressure.

My opinion of that video: low value. Doesn't tell us anything we don't already know. As for what we would really like to know, he doesn't tell us. He comes across as someone who is using a dubious understanding of science to sell a product which probably won't work. No measurements that prove his claim are included in the video. One for the rubbish bin.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
One of the mods (I can't remember if it was @AdamG or @BDWoody) said in another thread that they are trying to cut down on members simply posting videos and asking for comments. At least summarize the video so we can decide if it is worth watching or not. And ask us to comment on a specific point rather than on the whole video.
It was @BDWoody. But as usual we are on the same page here. If you are going to post videos. Which we are fine with. The poster at a minimum needs to provide a summary of the video and determine what parts of the video are important to them and tell us the audience what they wish to further discuss and analyze.

Since we don’t have any of this information from the poster I am locking the thread. We are not here to drive clicks and view totals for someone else’s videomercials. Also edited out the video link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom