• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mac based equalizer...

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My various iMacs, laptops and iPads have the built-in equalizers for iMusic... does not work with other players such as Tidal, Amazon Music etc.

I use USB to external DACs for above mentioned.

Question: is there a software solution to go between the streaming service and the USB output to the DAC? I am interested in both iPad and Macs.

pierre

Forum Donor
if you only want 2 channels, https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/ is a workin solution for Mac but not for iPad.
There is an open source version called https://github.com/ExistentialAudio/BlackHole that you should try before buying Loopback.
another option is to use the usb dac to do the loopback. Some dac (mostly pro) knows how to do that, I use my RME like that.
i ca provide more details if you are interested.

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Pierre-thank you for this. Yes, I would

pierre

Forum Donor
totalmix.png

Here is an example with a RME interface. Interface comes with a tool called totalmix (which help to route audio in any direction).
Step 1: send your music to the RME (it will go to channel 1,2 by default I called them L/R in the red circle)
Step 2: send audio to output ADAT 9/10 for example, circle orange)
Step 3: activate loopback on ADAT 9/10 circle yellow.

you can know now get the music back into the mac on adat 1 and 2.

Now let's use a DAW to host the plugin you want, if you don't have one, take REAPER you have an extended free period to test it:

Step 4: create a track (i have 2, 1 for speakers, 1 for headset because i do not have the same set of plugins for both).
Step 5: route the audio to your track (IN FX, select 2 channels, starting at adat 1 and 2)
Step 6: click on FX and add the plugins you want

reaper1.png

Step 7: send the audio back to the interface. Click on master
Step 8: choose how many channels to send out and where (here i have 16 out from adat1 to adat 16. be careful
not to overlap with what you use to send IN, in this example, you cannot use adat 1 and 2 because you use them
for bouncing your music into the mac).
Step 9: sound now goes out of the mac to the interface again and shows up on the RME

reaper2.png

Last step, in total mix, send the music from adat 9-10 to 1&2 if it is where your speakers are connected.

a way to look at it is:

music -> mac -> rme (1,2) -> rme(adat1,2 with lookback) -> mac in on adat 1-2 -> into daw
do whatever mix you want into the daw with the plugins you want
DAW master -> RME IN adat 9-10 -> RME out 1&2

Hope it is clear. It took me some time to debug it. Both Totalmix and a DAW are overkill but i didn't find an
easy way to do that esp. with a lot of channels. Youtube has plenty of video better than mine to explain both totalmix
and the DAW of your choice. Why there is no easy builtin way to do this on a mac is perplexing.

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Hmmm... my brain has just melted. I am going try an external device. Many thanks for the advice!!!

LumbermanSVO

You can do that with AULab, and some audio routing software. I used to use SoundFlower, but it looks like the previously mentioned Blackhole will do the same thing for free. AULab is free and pretty powerful, It's most of the engine behind Garageband and Logic, but stripped WAY down.

noobie1

Audirvana allows you to EQ Tidal and Qobuz using your choice of AU plugin. Apple provides some EQ plugins for free. I like Toneboosters Equalizer which I believe is $49. Audirvana is changing their licensing structure at the end of this month to include both Mac/Windows versions with a single purchase.

Tks

Major Contributor
I think I should go learn how to program an EQ. Mac over the years has been a resounding disappointment, from hardware specs, to software that is missing that leaves the mind puzzled as to why creative folks bother with it...

Top Bottom