• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LRS Amp question

CT Sweden

Since I was told in my other thread that I need much more power than my 80 watt Powernode to make my LRS sing I wonder
what you use to drive your LRS. I'm thinking abot a XTZ Edge A-300 power amp that has 300 wpc 4 Ohm and it is a class D icepower amp
It seems to divide people some dislike class D and some like the natural sound. It is very affordable but as I have no preamp and the powernode
has no sigal out I need to trade the powernode to another streamer and I think I go with Bluenode stramer. Has anyone tried this setup?
Do I need 300 wpc to make the LRS sing and will they work at its best with a class D amp? I understand that it is not so much about watts but I need
the right current, but I don't know how to find out what current a specific amp deliver.Do you have alternatives to the XTZ?
Every input is very much welcome

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
What does "sing" mean?

Are the speakers rated for 300?

According to my handy-dandy spreadsheet 300W is almost 6dB louder than 80W. Do you think you are overdriving your 80W amplifier into distortion and you want to go louder?

and will they work at its best with a class D amp?
Class-A, A/B, and D all do the same thing and they all can all be "transparent" with no particular sound characteristics... Class-D is more energy efficient and it's easier & cheaper to build a high-power amplifier if it's class-D. Of course there are many-many ways to make a bad amplifier (of any class) but most modern solid state amplifiers are very good. If there is an audible defect from an amplifier it's usually noise (hiss or hum)... nothing "mysterious".

The Magnepans might have some unusual impedance characteristics that make it "hard to drive" but that's not necessarily related to the class of the amplifier.

P.S.
I think the appeal of Magnepans id the dipole design which radiates sound from the front and back. The sound from the back bounces-around the room giving a feeling of space, but it makes the sound more dependent on room acoustics. The mixing-in of the inverted soundwaves from the back also tends to kill the bass.

Obviously most people prefer a more traditional speaker with more direct sound. If you aren't satisfied with what you're hearing, maybe you also would prefer a traditional speaker, or maybe you would enjoy your Magnepans in a different room? Or, maybe you need to add a subwoofer for better bass?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

Since I was told in my other thread that I need much more power than my 80 watt Powernode to make my LRS sing I wonder
what you use to drive your LRS. I'm thinking abot a XTZ Edge A-300 power amp that has 300 wpc 4 Ohm and it is a class D icepower amp
It seems to divide people some dislike class D and some like the natural sound. It is very affordable but as I have no preamp and the powernode
has no sigal out I need to trade the powernode to another streamer and I think I go with Bluenode stramer. Has anyone tried this setup?
Do I need 300 wpc to make the LRS sing and will they work at its best with a class D amp? I understand that it is not so much about watts but I need
the right current, but I don't know how to find out what current a specific amp deliver.Do you have alternatives to the XTZ?
Every input is very much welcome

The Magnepan website has this FAQ page: https://magnepan.com/pages/faqs

One of the questions is, "How much power do I need?"

How much power do I need?​

We are asked this question every single day. We wish that we could be of more help, but individual tastes vary. If someone tells you that you need an amplifier with ___ watts, how can they be so sure if they are not listening with you in your room?
You can get a lot of free advice in the chat rooms on the internet. Most of it is of very little value (or misleading). Often, their power recommendations are influenced by their listening habits and room conditions. If they have a strong opinion of what you need for power, take it with a grain of salt.
Personal tastes are "all over the map". We hear of customers that are perfectly happy with 50 watts and others using 1000 watts. Without the option of listening with you, we have no way to give meaningful advice. The most reliable way to answer this question for your particular needs is by visiting a dealer or arranging to hear a pair of Magneplanars. If you listen to your music at your normal volume, in a room that is approximately the same size as your room, with an amplifier similar to what you plan to use, an accurate power requirement can be determined for your listening habits. This is a lot to ask, but it is the only reliable method of determining the power needs for a specific individual.
There is a persistent impression that the larger Maggies require more power. It is true that most customers with the more expensive models have more powerful amplifiers. But, the popular assumption is not correct. They typically have a larger budget. If and when you upgrade your electronics is a separate decision.

Another question is, "What is the best amplifier for Magneplanars?"

What is the best amplifier for Magneplanars?​

We have a very small staff and none of us have the time to test amplifiers. But, we have decades of experience with a class of amplifiers that work well with Magneplanars.
The short answer is direct-coupled, Class A/B designs with high current capability. But to learn more, you'll need to read further.
First, let's address a misconception: The more expensive Maggies require better amplifiers.
It is true that most customers use better electronics on our more expensive models. But technically, it is not because the more expensive models are more demanding on the amplifier. The loads and efficiencies are very similar. Typically, the customer has a larger budget for amplifiers and, of course, the speakers respond with better sound.
Some individuals assume we won't make product or amplifier recommendations for "political" reasons. Not true. We CAN'T make specific recommendations because WE DON'T KNOW. It is too much work to keep up with changing models and the vast number of products. As it is, our small staff is not getting all of our work done. However, the following guidelines will be helpful. Class A/B amplifier designs that come close to doubling power at 4 ohms have a long and successful track record.
The most common question is about the amount of recommended power for Magneplanars, but, first, it is important to understand the role of current and the power supply. High current and the capability of the power supply is a good indicator of the QUALITY of the amplifier. The amount of power you will need is a matter of QUANTITY. High current and total power are two separate issues. The ratio of the power at 8 ohms and 4 ohms defines the quality of the sound probably more than any other aspect of the sonic performance. Typically, if the engineers got this right, they probably did a good job in other areas of the design.
The power supply is "what separates the men from the boys." A receiver is very efficient and cost-effective way to get is all in one package, but there are "issues". Unfortunately, consumers want all the "bells and whistles" without understanding the importance of power supply. Many manufacturers offer the "bells and whistles", but, compromise the power supply to be price competitive. There are a few manufacturers that are the exception.
Everyone understands they need plenty of power, but the role of power supply is not understood. There is one important concept you need to understand when shopping for an amplifier or receiver: and it is somewhat like understanding "good" and "bad" cholesterol. The ratio is very important. An Gold Standard for an amplifier would be to double the power at 4 ohms. This concept is important even if you are buying an 8 ohm speaker. If the amplifier is rated at 80 watts at 8 ohms, it should (ideally) produce 160 watts at 4 ohms (or close to it). None of the receivers will do that. However, this is the benchmark of a good amplifier design. A 10 watt amplifier that produces 20 watts at 4 ohms "speaks volumes" about the PHILOSOPHY of the designer. (But, of course, it does not tell you if a 10 watt amplifier is enough for your room.) In the final analysis, buy an amplifier that comes as close to doubling the power at 4 ohms as your budget will allow.
A good receiver might produce 30-40% more power at 4 ohms. Most receiver manufacturers don't want to talk about 4 ohm ratings because they have cut the "guts" out of their products to keep the cost down. Some receivers produce the same power at 4 ohms as the 8 ohm ratings. Or they use a switch on the back for 4 ohms to reduce the power and to prevent the receiver from self destructing. Others warn against 4 ohm speakers and will only offer a 6 ohm power rating. Regardless of what speaker you buy, we don't recommend any of these receivers. There are a few manufacturers making receivers with good 4 ohm capability. But, we can't keep up with who's doing what. All you have to remember is to ask: "What is the 4 ohm power rating?" If the 4 ohm rating isn't available, find another model or brand. It may take some digging to find the 4 ohm rating, but there are a number of receivers on the market that are rated for 4 ohms. For example, the THX rating requires that the amplifier section must be able to drive 4 ohms continuously. Even an inexpensive receiver like the 50 watt NAD C725 BEE (suggested retail of $799) is advertised to be stable with impedances down to 1 ohm and has peak power of 200 watts. So, don't be fooled by pretty front panels. Its what is on the inside that counts.
A new type of amplifier (Class D) has become more popular because it is a "green" design and uses less power plus it is smaller in size compared to conventional amplifier designs. We have heard reports of Class D amplifiers shutting down when driving 4 ohm loads or sound quality that is less-than-desirable. Quite frankly, some sound very poor on Maggies. However, more recent designs of high-end models are much better. Because we do not have the time to determine which models of Class D designs are compatible with Maggies, we must take a conservative approach. Direct-coupled, Class A/B designs with high current capability have proven a good choice for many decades.

Notice the part I put in bold. I think that the factory is so busy that their personnel are incapable of keeping up with the improvements in Class D. If I were an owner/proprietor, I wish I were that lucky! ;)

Jim

OP
C

CT Sweden

Hi and thank you for answering me, since all speakers I ever owned was 8 Ohm speakers and none of them dipol I didn't know a lot
about this kind of speakers. The man in the store who sold high end gears was the first to tell me that 80 wpc wasn't enough to get the most
out of the LRS and then checking different reviews on the internet everyone seems to have stronger amps if we talk about wpc. My issue with this speakers
is that I find the treble a bit "squeky" or "hissy", regarding the bass I find it okey for most music but there is some recording that I miss the
deeper bass but if I keep the LRS I can always get a sub. For now have used the 1 ohm resistor that came along with the speakers and that
took away the some of the "squek"or "hiss". I also had put in some time to try out different posisions in the room with some better result. I have used my XTZ
speakers for some ten years and is very used to how they sound and I believe that me/we get used to a particular sound and compare any difference to what
we are used to. Some says that the LRS needs about 150 hours to break in other says just a few hours, so it is very hard to find out what to believe.
For now I keep them to see If I can get them work with my kind of music and in my room, if not I get rid of them.
To answer DVDdoug: someone said that if it works perfect you shouldn't hear the speakers just the music, and if the speakers works perfect they just sing for you.

ehabheikal

get a subwoofer to fill the nonexistand bass on these small mags which will reduce by a good margin the power of the amp needded. I have smg which are the old small mags and i run them like that

OP
C

CT Sweden

Hello everyone, first of all thank you all for your input on my newly purchased Magnepan LRS so I just tought I tell you how I moved forward to make them sound better.
My room is not perfect and the WAF is something always to consider. I bought an XTX edge 400 wpc 4 ohm poweramp and since I'm only streaming music
I had to get a new streamer this time the BlueSound Node X as BlueNode can handle a large library.
When I first connected everything togheter I wasn't impressed, so I switched back to my old speakers and it was the same sound that I'm used to.
Then I remembered that I had my old AudioQuest Rocket 33 speaker cables that I stored in the basement I have used them
to bi-wire so I changed the connectors plugged them to the LSR and there it was now everything sounds great I hear things that I never noticed before, but when
getting new gears I think one is listening in a special way to see what is different and so on.
So for now I'm a happy man everything turned out great, but then there is the LSR+ and some say they are even better............but right now I have a lot of stuff like amps, speakers a powernode to sell before I go further. Again thank you all.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what changed, the cables shouldn't have made such a difference....what were you using for speaker cable before?

OP
C

CT Sweden

I used a cable from ARGON that played fine in my old set up with the PowerNode and they where easy to hide, the AQ is very stiff and they y are much longer that I needed
so that's why I put them away and forgot them.
When I checked around different forums I learned that the Powernode couldn't handle the LSR speakers very good as the Node is 80 wpc in eight ohm and still 80 wpc in 4 ohm, of course they played, but not very well, for me, if the question is if it is only okey or if it is very good, I go for the later. To put words to the sound before and now is that there is more air better overall sound and that goes from Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy to Stones, Lennon and Led Zeppelin and a lot of other genres all ripped from CD's in Wav. and in my own collection.
I think that the 400 wpc in 4 ohm togheter with the AudioQuest cables did the job and that said, in my room and with the setup I have right now.

Top Bottom