• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for some headphone advice.

Sycraft

I'm having to move back to headphones from speakers for the first time in over a decade (moving to an apartment). While I will mourn the loss of my great surround sound setup this is of course an excuse to get NEW TOYS :)

I picked up an RME ADI-2 DAC, which is just an amazing unit that I couldn't be happier with, and also some Sennheiser HD800S headphones. I like them and will be keeping them I think. They really do get the most "speaker like" sound stage ever, are super comfy with glasses, and sound very good. They were a bit harsh for my liking, but the EQ on the DAC cleared that right up.

However though their bass is now good, it just doesn't slam. Usually I'm not after that, but sometimes I am. I realize it will never slam like the speakers could, they had an SVS Ultra sub helping them out, but they don't slam like my old Denon AH-D2000s did either.

So, any recommendations for a high end phone that does? I'd like to keep it under $2k is possible, but I suppose I could be convinced to spend more if there's a good reason. Needs to work well with the RME, I love it way too much to replace. Open or closed is fine, but need to be comfy either way. No face clamping studio phones.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll need planars or closed dynamics for that, but you'll loose anything resembling the HD800's soundstage.

Audeze would be the go-to recommendation if you are looking for bass slam, but they're heavy and somewhat clampy so that probably rules them out for you.

A used pair of the Massdrop/Fostex reincarnation of the old Denon Dx000 series might work. E-MU has their own version as well.

Merkurio

Believe it or not, but the AirPods Max have a really nice bass slam (mostly focused on sub-bass rumble, but impressive nonetheless).

In the high-end realm, you should look to Audeze, Hifiman HE6SE V2 (Adorama exclusive), Fostex TH-900, etc.

Top Bottom