• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for recommendations of DAC, SMSL M300 Mkii or Schiit Modi 3 or JDS EL DAC II

wargreymon

I currently have a pair of Audioengine HD6 but the DAC in it seem to be failing with left speaker being louder to the right one. This had been happening for the 2nd time where the last RMA took me for 3 months.

So, I am thinking that it is time for me to go for an upgrade instead of sending for RMA for another 3 months. I had come down to the 3 choices below and have a hard time making a decision

Currently built-in DAC: Audioengine D1 via optical input, AKM4396

Upgrade option:
1. Schiit Modi 3 - Seem to be a reputable brand amongst reviewer, AKM4490
2. JDS EL DAC II - Most of the reviewer are paring it with EL Amp II for aesthetic, AKM4493
3. SMSL M300 Mkii - On paper, it seems to be much better than above 2 DAC but some review said the sound signature to be less fuller and hold back at the bottom and top when compared to Modi 3. It also used a better flagship chip than above, AKM4497.

Optional: Was also looking at SMSL M500 using ESS9038pro chip with MQA decoding. But it seems to be a little more feature than I need.

Please anyone could help suggest what I should get? I mostly use optical input and for now, will be using the amp built-in Audioengine HD6. Budget between 100-300USD to start.

Thanks!

Zek

Major Contributor
I currently have a pair of Audioengine HD6 but the DAC in it seem to be failing with left speaker being louder to the right one.
Are you sure the problem is DAC but not amplifier?

OP
W

wargreymon

Are you sure the problem is DAC but not amplifier?
Yes. I had tried plugging directly to the pc using 3.5mm, another mobile DAC (Sonata HD via 3.5mm), and also Bluetooth, it all working fine except when I plug in via optical.

Reactions: Zek

Ajax

Forum Donor
Two inexpensive Chi- fi DACs that I own and happy to recommend.

Topping D50s ... US$250
SMSL M8A ... US$200

Suggest you read Amir's review of the D50s as he is very complimentary.

OP
W

wargreymon

Two inexpensive Chi- fi DACs that I own and happy to recommend.

Topping D50s ... US$250
SMSL M8A ... US$200

Suggest you read Amir's review of the D50s as he is very complimentary.

SMSL M8A seem to be discontinued. However, I heard lots of review saying that SMSL slightly lacking at the bottom and high. How is your M8A compare to D50S? I probably able to get the D50s under 200USD. Does the D50s give out the "ess hump"?

And also heard that SMSL is coming out M400 with AKM4499 chips probably by next month.

Ajax

Forum Donor
I have not compared against each other but would not expect a lot of difference.

According to Amir's review Topping have successfully removed the "ESS Hump" in the D50S. Here is his recommendation -

"Conclusions
One of our favorite DACs has grown up and become even better. The D50s solidly eliminates the ESS IMD hump, adds the much needed remote control and Bluetooth without a premium in pricing. It makes great pairing with such headphone amplifiers at JDS Labs Atom being roughly equal in size and looks.

It is a pleasure to see Topping continue to deliver well-engineered audio products without exception. Using proper measurements allows them to verify and refine the design before we get our hands on.

Needless to say, I am happy to recommend the Topping D50s."

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-of-new-topping-d50s-dac.7914/

There are more important parts of the hi-fi chain that will have a much greater effect on your sound quality (speakers, room treatment). I doubt very much if the D50s will be you weakest link so for only US$250, right in the middle of your budget, I would just buy it and move on.

Good luck!

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You sure it's just the DAC failing? In this case, I would try to get a really cheap DAC, from measurements here, the Topping E30. Then increase your budget a bit more and get a decent pair of speakers. Some JBL 3xxs or Yamaha HS8(don't like the sound of 5 at all, 7 is OK). RMA again and once you get it back, sell it. IMHO at this price Audioengine got absolutely nothing on JBL and Yamaha, especially when it come to QC.

OP
W

wargreymon

I have not compared against each other but would not expect a lot of difference.

According to Amir's review Topping have successfully removed the "ESS Hump" in the D50S. Here is his recommendation -

"Conclusions
One of our favorite DACs has grown up and become even better. The D50s solidly eliminates the ESS IMD hump, adds the much needed remote control and Bluetooth without a premium in pricing. It makes great pairing with such headphone amplifiers at JDS Labs Atom being roughly equal in size and looks.

It is a pleasure to see Topping continue to deliver well-engineered audio products without exception. Using proper measurements allows them to verify and refine the design before we get our hands on.

Needless to say, I am happy to recommend the Topping D50s."

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-of-new-topping-d50s-dac.7914/

There are more important parts of the hi-fi chain that will have a much greater effect on your sound quality (speakers, room treatment). I doubt very much if the D50s will be you weakest link so for only US$250, right in the middle of your budget, I would just buy it and move on.

Good luck!

I have done some research after you mentioning it. D50S seems to be a very pleasant DAC and a big improvement from its previous D50. And now it is at the top of my list. Kinda want to wait for the SMSL M400 and have a comparison, both seem to be in the same budget.

Thanks mate.

OP
W

wargreymon

You sure it's just the DAC failing? In this case, I would try to get a really cheap DAC, from measurements here, the Topping E30. Then increase your budget a bit more and get a decent pair of speakers. Some JBL 3xxs or Yamaha HS8(don't like the sound of 5 at all, 7 is OK). RMA again and once you get it back, sell it. IMHO at this price Audioengine got absolutely nothing on JBL and Yamaha, especially when it come to QC.

Unfortunately yes, when I went for RMA and come back the guy told me that its the DAC that failed and changed. And now the same thing happened again, currently running at 65% volume level on the left and 100% on the right. Last month was 75% and 100%. I planned to 1st get a DAC and when I move my house hopefully by end of this year I will probably get a new set of speakers, eyeing on B&W 6 or 7 series, and have this Audioengine HD6 in the living room or somewhere else.

Top Bottom