• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for driver and enclosure kit with extreme wide dispersion.

Nwickliff

Hi everyone. I'm pretty happy with my GR research RP600m's with mini dsp for fine tuning at listening position and also dual 18's to shore up the low end at 80hz and below.

I'm looking for a kit to build a super wide dispersion speaker to compare to the Klipsch. I'd like to keep costs down and build my own kit speaker. I also don't need a Crossover as I think I'll try and go active since I would only need one more amp to handle the midwoofer.

Any idea? I'm looking for above 60degrees if possible. This would also mean I could buy a cheap speaker that maybe doesn't measure all that well and beat it into submission with eq if directivity is similar throughout. Thoughts?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The BMR Philharmonitor kit would qualify as super wide dispersion but I have a feeling you might not like the price tag too much. It's kinda hard to get around a 3-way in a true full-range speaker though... you may still get along with a 5" plus a tweeter in a shallow waveguide, but that's about it.

OP
N

Nwickliff

The BMR Philharmonitor kit would qualify as super wide dispersion but I have a feeling you might not like the price tag too much. It's kinda hard to get around a 3-way in a true full-range speaker though... you may still get along with a 5" plus a tweeter in a shallow waveguide, but that's about it.
I had a long hard look at those. Definitely on my must-try list, but as you say, a little out of my budget at the moment and I would also need a mini DSP with more channels and 3 amps or a 6 -8 channel amplifier to drive them. They have been on my short list for a while with that super wide dispersion pattern!

OP
N

Nwickliff

Might be worth emailing to see what it would cost for just the drivers. I would need to source the cabinet flat pack somewhere else.
Flat pack here
https://www.speakerhardware.com/philharmonic-bmr-flat-pack.php

Top Bottom