• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a Powerful USB Hub

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I need to power and connect the following:
Raspberry Pi4 running Volumio with Fusion DSP to:
Topping D10Balanced:
SSD Samsung Hard Drive.

I need something that presents USB power to each of these while allowing me to connect these to the Raspberry Pi... By itself the Raspberry doesn't seem to be able to power the Topping D10b nor can it power the Samsung SSD. I believe the Pi4 maximum total output on USB is 1.2A.

I had this on my PC and it went that way. PC --->d10 Balanced--->THX Amp.. Worked , of course

No I'd like to have this:
1665145403205.png

Would this work, in which case what USB Hub do you recommend, I suppose something around 40 watts. BTW, there is absolutely no marking on the Topping about its power consumption. This is a serious and unacceptable omission.

Waiting for your help.

Peace

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Looking at the Amazon product page for the Topping D10:
SPEC
Power input: DC5V /0. 5A(USB power supply

Personally I would power the Samsung SSD from the PI and get a active usb cable to connect the Topping to the PI.
I've never been a huge fan of usb hubs, personal preference after performance problems using a few models.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used this -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SCX6I8A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in a similar situation. MOTU M4 seems to have very high current draw and would cause my macbook pro to heat up significantly. On a RPi4 the M4 would occasionally power cycle if I was running something rather demanding (like REW). With the powered USB hub the macbook pro stays cool and the M4 does not power cycle on the RPi4.

Although I am somewhat surprised that a D10 balanced and a SSD is too much for the RPi4. I've used samsung SSDs without issue with RPi4s and the only DAC I've had issues with in terms of power draw is the M4 which of course is a more complicated audio interface compared to the rather simple D10 balanced.

Michael.

Top Bottom