• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a one device solution to connect bluetooth, TV and more inputs to my active speakers

OctopusGrigori

Hi, I'm new here, been lurking here now and then and it's always been a very helpful resource so I thought I come here with my question.
I hope I did chose the right sub forum for this. I'm living in Germany.

So, I'm in the middle of planning an audio setup for my partner. The main use will be listening to music via bluetooth and watching movies with the possibility to go into music production in the future.
The speakers gonna be a pair of Adam T8V and at the moment I was thinking about getting a Presonus MicroStation BT for the bluetooth input and connect that with the FiiO D03K Taishan DAC to go into TV via optical.

Now for a baseline I think that works well enough but I was thinking if there aren't better solutions. 1.) My first question would be if there is a device that combines the Presonus bluetooth adapter with the FiiO DAC functionality to have a more elegant one device solution. 2.) Furthermore the Presonus has just the bluetooth and one TRS input, if my partner would want to dive more into music production another source input slot possibility would be valuable. 3.) Adding to that a remote control option would be quite comfy to have, so you can sit on the couch/lie in bed, take your remote control to switch the input source to TV or bluetooth etc. and switch bluetooth connections. I thought about using remote controlled power outlets to avoid having to manually turn on and off the active speakers on the backside everytime (does that cause any harm?).
4.) Lastly something I having figured out yet and I don't know if it changes something is the connection of her laptop to the TV for everything that isn't covered by Smart TV apps. Preferably something wireless that makes it possible to stream the laptop screen on the TV and watch whatever is playing there, since the room is 20m² an alternative to running an HDMI cable through the room would be nice. Does that change something since the video input from the laptop would still just go thorugh the optical output to the speakers right? Or do I need yet another device to add to this or combine all of this?

So in short:
1.)
Combining bluetooth and DAC funtionality in 1 device
2.) Another source input slot besides bluetooth and TV for music production devices
3.) Remote control option for switching between inputs and changing the coupled bluetooth devices (phones, laptop, etc.)
4.) Does the connection of the laptop to the TV (ideas for how to connect the 2 always welcome) for streaming purposes change anything in the audio chain?

Now not all of these are a must, the budget solution of Presonus and FiiO I have in mind right now costs like 120 euros, the speaker pair costs like 475 euros, so a solution which solves all or some of my questions wouldn't make sense if it completely breaks the cost balance (200 is allright, 300-400 stretches it, but hey don't hesitate to rec the one golden thing to solve it all), but I'm still interested in possible solutions or anything important I missed/that could be useful. I live in Berlin, Germany and would also buy used.

I hope this wasn't too much, the wrong place to ask or I did mess up some forum rules, thanks in advance for any input or guidance :)

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
1.) My first question would be if there is a device that combines the Presonus bluetooth adapter with the FiiO DAC functionality to have a more elegant one device solution.
Yes, there are such devices. For example, the SMSL D-6 (Amir's review here).
Bonus: it's got differential output via TRS that you can plug straight into the T8V's XLR input.

2.) Furthermore the Presonus has just the bluetooth and one TRS input, if my partner would want to dive more into music production another source input slot possibility would be valuable. 3.) Adding to that a remote control option would be quite comfy to have, so you can sit on the couch/lie in bed, take your remote control to switch the input source to TV or bluetooth etc.
The D-6 has four inputs in total (Bluetooth, USB, Toslink, S/PDIF), and it comes with a remote for switching between them.
If you'd like to trade in either Toslink or S/PDIF for a second USB input, then your can do that with something like the SMSL PO100:
1648040439593.png

Last edited:

DoctorRobert

I have one of these: MusicCast CD-NT670D I consider it a bit of a Swiss knife as far as sources are concerned. I think it is out of production but you must be able to find one somewhere. Sound-wise it will probably be no match for the some of the gear that Amir tests here, but it is solid as far as I am concerned.

OP
O

OctopusGrigori

Yes, there are such devices. For example, the SMSL D-6 (Amir's review here).
Bonus: it's got differential output via TRS that you can plug straight into the T8V's XLR input.

The D-6 has four inputs in total (Bluetooth, USB, Toslink, S/PDIF), and it comes with a remote for switching between them.
If you'd like to trade in either Toslink or S/PDIF for a second USB input, then your can do that with something like the SMSL PO100:
View attachment 248366
Oh wow this and the DO100 look right on the money! thank you so much! I'll dive a bit more into them. I've been to a well regarded Hifi shop and music store today and no one could really help me out haha.

OP
O

OctopusGrigori

I have one of these: MusicCast CD-NT670D I consider it a bit of a Swiss knife as far as sources are concerned. I think it is out of production but you must be able to find one somewhere. Sound-wise it will probably be no match for the some of the gear that Amir tests here, but it is solid as far as I am concerned.
interesting, I did actually find one for around 700, that's out of my league for this setup but it looks neat.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Oh wow this and the DO100 look right on the money! thank you so much! I'll dive a bit more into them. I've been to a well regarded Hifi shop and music store today and no one could really help me out haha.
There's an even cheaper version of these now called the SMSL C100. It costs $120.
No differential output though, so the cable to the monitors could pick up noise from nearby electronics.

OP
O

OctopusGrigori

There's an even cheaper version of these now called the SMSL C100. It costs $120.
No differential output though, so the cable to the monitors could pick up noise from nearby electronics.
nice thx, but I think I'll go with the DO100 simply cause that's the only one I oculd find from a German vendor and I would like to have the setup running around christmas :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom