• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for ~$100 headphones for Topping DX3pro v1

Wolven

I hope you guys can steer me towards some good headphones.
I'm kind of scarred to plug expensive headphones into Dx3pro.
Source, will be a phone using Foobar. Not sure if the Dx3pro v1 can do BT at CD quality.

Headphones should be:
- around $100 US
- wired
- closed or semi-closed
- over the ear
- darker sound with good bass
- I don't like bright sound and dislike the peak around 5k Hz
- type of music: all kinds of rock, metal and techno

Some of the headphones that I'm starting to consider:
AKG's perhaps K240 (AKG has lots of other models with similar prices)
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x or M40x (is M50x a big step up?)
Sennheiser HD200

Any ideas?
Thanks

samwell7

I hope you guys can steer me towards some good headphones.
I'm kind of scarred to plug expensive headphones into Dx3pro.
Source, will be a phone using Foobar. Not sure if the Dx3pro v1 can do BT at CD quality.

Headphones should be:
- around $100 US
- wired
- closed or semi-closed
- over the ear
- darker sound with good bass
- I don't like bright sound and dislike the peak around 5k Hz
- type of music: all kinds of rock, metal and techno

Some of the headphones that I'm starting to consider:
AKG's perhaps K240 (AKG has lots of other models with similar prices)
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x or M40x (is M50x a big step up?)
Sennheiser HD200

Any ideas?
Thanks
AKG K240 is a good headphone but probably a bit bright for you and lacks sub bass.
From what I've heard re: M30, M40 and M50 is there isn't much between the M40 and M50 but I think they've got a treble peak as well, if you can play with some EQ the M40/M50 would be good

Sombreuil

According to your description I'd also add one of the Beyerdynamic's to the list. There are a lot of different models and the impedance can drastically vary depending which one you're looking at, so I won't name a model in particular, but yeah might be worth checking considering what you're looking for.

OP
W

Wolven

AKG K240 is a good headphone but probably a bit bright for you and lacks sub bass.
From what I've heard re: M30, M40 and M50 is there isn't much between the M40 and M50 but I think they've got a treble peak as well, if you can play with some EQ the M40/M50 would be good

The equalization from within Android Foobar is not great. I will take a better look at M40.
I'm actually in Canada, I can pickup those for approximately $120 US

samwell7

The equalization from within Android Foobar is not great. I will take a better look at M40.
I'm actually in Canada, I can pickup those for approximately $120 US
Okay, if you can buy through somewhere that will let you return the headphones if you don't like them I'd recommend buying them and trying them.
Also not sure of the prices where you are but AKG K361 or K371 sound good, just note some people have had build quality issues.

samwell7

I checked amazon.ca and there was complaint after complaint regarding the hinges.
Yep that's fair enough, I had heard a lot of the QC issues were with the earlier runs but I don't have any proof as to whether anything has actually changed, I've got a set and had no issues but I haven't had them long.

You could also try some of the cheaper Shure models (maybe the SRH440)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure of your exchange rate (I'm in Australia), Amazon typically has a good return policy if you can find them on there.
Amazon.ca was like $199.00 a extra $60.00 added on.

OP
W

Wolven

Thanks for the ideas everyone I will take a look at Shure and others, I have never heard of those.

OP
W

Wolven

I checked amazon.ca and there was complaint after complaint regarding the hinges.

The best one was that Samsung Canada would not honour warranty on AKG headphones despite being bought from amazon.ca, because the headphones were being shipped from USA. Yeah, not going to touch AKG now on principle.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The best one was that Samsung Canada would not honour warranty on AKG headphones despite being bought from amazon.ca, because the headphones were being shipped from USA. Yeah, not going to touch AKG now on principle.
Yes, I read that one too.

OP
W

Wolven

As always I'm drawn to the more expensive headphones.
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x looks very interesting. I like the response better than the Beyerdynamic DT770.
ATH-M50x seems to have more bass and is recessed in the mid and high treble.
I used to have HiFiman HE-400i and thought it had no base and too much treble, but soundstage was nice.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Do you have a link? I’d like to read more about this.

OP
W

Wolven

Do you have a link? I’d like to read more about this.

https://www.amazon.ca/AKG-Pro-Audio...1&keywords=akg+371&qid=1611564126&sr=8-1&th=1

Quote:
1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty issue, stay away!!!!
Reviewed in Canada on June 21, 2020
Style: K371Verified Purchase
The problem with them is not new, other customers expressed this already - right hinge getting loose. So loosed hinge will make noise every time you move your head.
That small issue shall be covered by warranty but no wrong, you won't! I spent 2 month with Samsung who is caring Harman's warranty. First of all they don't have AKG K371 on their inventory list and will ditch you from one department to another. Then I got to executive customer service department which wasn't able to clear it because they don't have information about this item.
After several days of investigation by this department they called me and said they won't accept my warranty because these headphones have been shipped from USA and Samsung Canada is not covering items shipped from there even if you purchased them thought Canadian Amazon!
So I am not suggesting these headphones due to their warranty issue!

Top Bottom