• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linking PS5 sound to Motu M4

Ravix

Hello guys,

First of all I'm really a complete newbie in this audio territory even though I took a lot of time researching subjects and gear to buy, and I find it very hard to understand as there are a lot of technical concepts to grasp, so please forgive me if what I say or think makes no sense.

So I was looking for an audio interface and after a lot of researching and thinking, I decided to go for the M4 which appeared to be one of the best for my budget. I went for the M4 rather than the M2 because it has two line level inputs on the rear and and my plan was to somehow retrieve the sound from my PS5 and plug it to the interface in order for me to be able to play while for example being on discord on my computer and also benefit from my Equalizer APO (or so I thought). Again I made some research on how I could retrieve the audio from the PS5 as there is no audio output of any sort, only USB and 3.5mm from the controller. I found multiple ways to achieve it, but the one that seemed the best to me was to retrieve the audio through a HDMI audio extractor (I went for this one). As you can see there are two outputs : RCA and Optical. I hesitated for quite some time between getting an interface with a SPDIF input (Audient ID14 M2, Scarlett, even freaking GoXLR) and sticking with the Motu M4 through RCA, which I ultimately did. Then I got a cable adapter x2 RCA to x2 TS and plugged it in the inputs on the rear.

My issue is, maybe you guessed it, that even though it works, the volume is EXTREMELY low, as I suppose there is no preamp in these inputs, and that's where my lack of knowledge limits me, and that's why I'm asking for your help. Would you have a solution for this very specific issue that comes to mind ? Did I do something bad in the way I linked everything together ? While looking for ways to get more gain I thought about a DI box, but I'm still not sure to know exactly its purpose and that it's the right solution as it's usually TS input to XLR output.

This whole getting the sound from the PS5 seems very complicated to do for what it is, and expensive. Before having the interface I plugged a 3.5mm jack from the headphones output of my monitor directly into my computer microphone input which is disgusting I'll admit, but apart from the bearable noise it worked well. Another solution I found was getting multiple adaptators connected first to the controller but it didn't look much better to me than what I was doing, maybe I'm wrong of course.

I would be so grateful if you guys could help on this ! If not no worries, thanks for taking the time of reading this :)

Also, sorry for my poor english :rolleyes:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Why not capture the digital audio stream directly without a DAC+preamp+ADC in the chain?
This one should be able to do that: https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-ur23-spdif-optical-to-usb-converter/
Afterwards you can apply EQ on your PC and play it back on whatever DAC+Amp you use.
Either using the "Listen to this device" function in the Sound Control Panel, or with an application like Voicemeeter or virtual audio cable.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not capture the digital audio stream directly without a DAC+preamp+ADC in the chain?
This one should be able to do that: https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-ur23-spdif-optical-to-usb-converter/
Afterwards you can apply EQ on your PC and play it back on whatever DAC+Amp you use.
Either using the "Listen to this device" function in the Sound Control Panel, or with an application like Voicemeeter or virtual audio cable.
It has to be USB class 1 or otherwise it won't work. just mentioning.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It has to be USB class 1 or otherwise it won't work. just mentioning.
No. What I linked is a Toslink to USB converter that OP could use to input the digital audio signal extracted from HDMI to his PC for equalization.
It is not supposed to be plugged into his PS5.

OP
Ravix

Ravix

Well that's a pretty good idea actually, It never occured to me that this type of adaptator existed, I wanted to get it through the interface because I thought it would give the best sound quality but SPIDF to USB should be quite good too !

Top Bottom