• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LG quad dac audio impressions and discussion

Degru

I'll put in my own 2c on the sound of the LG DAC. Got an LG G8 recently. Note I'm not a believer in SINAD and think there is more to a DAC than its distortion.

Overall sound wise, I really don't think it's much better than a Galaxy S9. The amp is better, there's maybe a bit more detail, but that's about it. My Modius destroys it. Main thing lacking for me is dynamics; the Modius is able to hit a lot harder.

The LG DAC does however have a few glaring flaws. The biggest one is actually the non-hires-mode performance with easier to drive cans.

The way Android stock audio chain works is the audio gets attenuated according to your volume setting *first*, and then it goes through the resampler. This means that the crust from the ****** resampler gets sent to your DAC full blast. This is an issue if you need to use volumes below about half for easier to drive headphones.

On most phones I only notice this with very quiet tracks and sensitive IEMs. However, since the quad DAC gets louder than a typical headphone jack there is more attenuation taking place and I even notice it with my CD900st, which is easy to power but not extremely sensitive. That's at a volume setting of 41, if you have to go lower it will only get worse.

The hires mode through an app like Poweramp, UAPP, Neutron, LG music, etc. will bypass this and eliminate the problem, but streaming services that UAPP doesn't support are left out in the cold. If you use local music from SD card you're all set tho.

The other issue is the automatic impedance detection making the false assumption that low impedance = easy to drive. If you have hard to drive cans with below 100 ohm impedance you need to use the workaround with a resistor and extension cable to trick it into high gain mode. You can probably take a spare 3.5mm jack and wire a single 300 ohm resistor through it to have a simple and cheap diy dummy load to accomplish this.

Personally, for my usage, I would rather just have a Galaxy S9. It has less power and less volume steps, however it doesn't have the resampler issue and still sounds good. But the G8 was a much better price.

Update: I just found a "hifi status" app that shows the status of quad dac depending on what is plugged in. I measured output with my multimeter. 0.125 Vrms unloaded in "normal" mode (under 50 ohms), 0.4Vrms in "aux" mode (infinite impedance), and 0.75Vrms in "high impedance" mode. It seems they reserved the high power output for the V series, so the quad dac on the G series is NOT the same implementation.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll throw in my experience, briefly. This experience is based on my LG V30+.

First, I use 32 ohm 100 db sensitive IEM's and my listening volume is around half or just under much of the time. In this use case, I do not enable the Quad DAC and amp because 1) I have no need for the extra power and 2) you can not do so without also enabling a filter which changes the sound. I found through extensive testing that stock (off) sounds best to me.

Second, I used a very high impedance set of AKG's at 300 ohms or more. For this, you really need to enable that amp if you want to drive them at more than a whisper. It works great for that, though battery drain accelerates.

I am not sure what "hires mode" is and I'm not aware of the resampling issues. I am very likely less savvy in that regard :)

All in all I am unsure if I am really benefitting from it and am considering other options that have headphone jacks. The Galaxy S9 won't get Android 11 and I would prefer that, so Galaxy S10e from eBay or Google Pixel 4a are contenders. I would strongly prefer the Google Android UI over Samsung's take.

Last edited:

Darrell72

Hi, I only seem to be able to get 24 bit/96 kHz from my G6 quad dac despite it apparently being capable of supporting audio files with up to 32-bit audio at 384 kHz sample rate. Any ideas why this may be? I have tried via ATH-2 (32ohm) headphones, jack to hifi aux but an Amazon HD check of my device says is it only capable of 24bit and 96 kHz.

OP
D

Degru

I'll put in my own 2c on the sound of the LG DAC. Got an LG G8 recently. Note I'm not a believer in SINAD and think there is more to a DAC than its distortion.

Overall sound wise, I really don't think it's much better than a Galaxy S9. The amp is better, there's maybe a bit more detail, but that's about it. My Modius destroys it. Main thing lacking for me is dynamics; the Modius is able to hit a lot harder.

The LG DAC does however have a few glaring flaws. The biggest one is actually the non-hires-mode performance with easier to drive cans.

The way Android stock audio chain works is the audio gets attenuated according to your volume setting *first*, and then it goes through the resampler. This means that the crust from the ****** resampler gets sent to your DAC full blast. This is an issue if you need to use volumes below about half for easier to drive headphones.

On most phones I only notice this with very quiet tracks and sensitive IEMs. However, since the quad DAC gets louder than a typical headphone jack there is more attenuation taking place and I even notice it with my CD900st, which is easy to power but not extremely sensitive. That's at a volume setting of 41, if you have to go lower it will only get worse.

The hires mode through an app like Poweramp, UAPP, Neutron, LG music, etc. will bypass this and eliminate the problem, but streaming services that UAPP doesn't support are left out in the cold. If you use local music from SD card you're all set tho.

The other issue is the automatic impedance detection making the false assumption that low impedance = easy to drive. If you have hard to drive cans with below 100 ohm impedance you need to use the workaround with a resistor and extension cable to trick it into high gain mode. You can probably take a spare 3.5mm jack and wire a single 300 ohm resistor through it to have a simple and cheap diy dummy load to accomplish this.

Personally, for my usage, I would rather just have a Galaxy S9. It has less power and less volume steps, however it doesn't have the resampler issue and still sounds good. But the G8 was a much better price.

Update: I just found a "hifi status" app that shows the status of quad dac depending on what is plugged in. I measured output with my multimeter. 0.125 Vrms unloaded in "normal" mode (under 50 ohms), 0.4Vrms in "aux" mode (infinite impedance), and 0.75Vrms in "high impedance" mode. It seems they reserved the high power output for the V series, so the quad dac on the G series is NOT the same implementation.
UPDATE2: It looks like some update has fixed the weird low output and I'm now getting 2V high impedance, 1V aux as expected

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I have been using LG G series phones for a number of years now, currently happy with the G7, and really for phone based audio I recommend a good set of quality Bluetooth headphones. And I have very extensive experience with headphones so my position isn't simply formed from a few examples, I have literally poured thousands of dollars into headphones since about 2008.

Darrell72

UPDATE2: It looks like some update has fixed the weird low output and I'm now getting 2V high impedance, 1V aux as expected

Thanks for this. Can I ask which hifi status app you used, please?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I find activating hifi dac on my V40+ sounds synthetic with most headphones and speakers. It gels nicely with superlux hd681 and celestion H. With everything eles I find normal mode far more "real" sounding. It's annoying that 100 step volume only works with hifi dac active.
Edit: these subjective findings run completely contry to expectation bias and took days to even notice such was my enthusiasm for hifi dac.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find activating hifi dac on my V40+ sounds synthetic with most headphones and speakers. It gels nicely with superlux hd681 and celestion H. With everything eles I find normal mode far more "real" sounding. It's annoying that 100 step volume only works with hifi dac active.
Edit: these subjective findings run completely contry to expectation bias and took days to even notice such was my enthusiasm for hifi dac.
My experience was the same. Off sounds better.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Qudelix 5K is a very convenient implementation of this chip. No impedance detection nonsense and it has two of them for running balanced, should you need the power.

Tks

Major Contributor
The way Android stock audio chain works is the audio gets attenuated according to your volume setting *first*, and then it goes through the resampler.

The LG Music app plays bit perfect? Since when?

Top Bottom